Overfilled 2004 Honda Civic engine oil ~ 1.5 quart

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all,

Since I did not have time to change my own oil, decided to take it to a mechanic again. I handed in 5 qt jug and OEM filter.

I checked the dipstick and it was over the full-mark. I drove about a mile then turned off the engine. I checked back the dipstick after an hour then decided to take the excessive oil out with using syringe and plastic tube.

I sucked about 1.4 quart until the full-mark level. The required amount is just 3.4 quart!! Apparently, they dumped the whole jug in there
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif

I just drove less than a mile like this, and didn't go over 2000 rpm.

What do you guys think? could there be any damage? I don't know what to say these people!! I might not have realized that.

Last edited by a moderator:
No harm done, and another reason why I prefer to do my own work. It really sucks to pay a pro and get results worse than an amateur knowing nothing about auto maintenance would do.

Exactly!!

I was actually about to do it myself but I had only one jack and no jackstands. I did not want to take the risk going under the car with one jack.

Unfortunately, this is not the first time. They always overfill but this time was too much overfilled.

I took extra time to fix the problem they caused. Long story short, do your oil changes by yourself..

Originally Posted By: CivicLX
Exactly!!

I had only one jack and no jackstands. I did not want to take the risk going under the car with one jack.

Buy ramps for oil changes.

If they aren't doing your car services the way you want them to, its time to find someone else.
Finding reliable people is becoming harder these days...

You took a five quart jug to the shop.
What did you think happened to the rest of the oil?
The guy probably figured that since you gave him a five quart jug, that's what was required.
Maybe you should have told him that the engine only took 3.5 qts and that you wanted the rest of the oil back?
It would have been quicker for you to have changed the oil yourself, even without the unintended need to draw some of it out.
You're wise to avoid getting underneath the car while it's supported by a jack.
Many folks have died doing this, since jacks can and do fail.
Check the Product rebates... forum and get a current AAP coupon code.
Use this code to buy a set of Rhino Ramps at a deal price and never have to take your car to someone else again for oil or tranny fluid changes.
A set of ramps along with a 17 mm wrench, a filter wrench and some sort of pan that can hold a gallon or so are all you'll need to be doing your own instant oil changes on your Civic.

The danger of overfilling is that if the oil gets high enough it could be wiped by the crank and the bottom of the piston rods, and become a crankcase filled with foamed oil that will not pump well, resulting in a major loss of oil pressure.

Last edited:
DIY and you will know what you did, how you did it, the amount you put in, etc. And if something goes wrong, you can blame yourself. But most likely, you will get the warm and fuzzy feeling of taking care of something you take pride in and take care of. Next time.

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
The guy probably figured that since you gave him a five quart jug, that's what was required.
Maybe you should have told him that the engine only took 3.5 qts and that you wanted the rest of the oil back?
It would have been quicker for you to have changed the oil yourself, even without the unintended need to draw some of it out.
Use this code to buy a set of Rhino Ramps at a deal price and never have to take your car to someone else again for oil or tranny fluid changes.
A set of ramps along with a 17 mm wrench, a filter wrench and some sort of pan that can hold a gallon or so are all you'll need to be doing your own instant oil changes on your Civic.

I agree with u.

I'm sorry but today you need to be specific with any work that you get done. I actually think its kind of cheap bringing in your own oil. Sorry...

My ramps kept sliding forward trying to climb with my Grand Marquis today. Did the Sable and it went up fine. Same ramps, same garage and general location. floor is smooth concrete. I even tried 2x4 to get a higher start on the ramp but it still pushed them. Think it might be the RWD vs FWD but not sure. Not hitting the frame either. Any suggestions. I might try a 2x4 behind ramps against the wall to keep from pushing but might hurt the drywall unless I put a board against the wall too

Originally Posted By: spk2000
My ramps kept sliding forward trying to climb with my Grand Marquis today. Did the Sable and it went up fine. Same ramps, same garage and general location. floor is smooth concrete. I even tried 2x4 to get a higher start on the ramp but it still pushed them. Think it might be the RWD vs FWD but not sure. Not hitting the frame either. Any suggestions. I might try a 2x4 behind ramps against the wall to keep from pushing but might hurt the drywall unless I put a board against the wall too

Try it out in the drive way.

Texture of the PC concrete or asphalt might be better there.

Originally Posted By: Boss302fan
Originally Posted By: fdcg27

I agree with u.

I'm sorry but today you need to be specific with any work that you get done. I actually think its kind of cheap bringing in your own oil. Sorry...

I even marked the level on the jug. I assume that they know the amount they are using or at least checking the dipstick.

Well, lesson learned! Never trust them

Originally Posted By: Roob

Finding reliable people is becoming harder these days...

In the USA it is nearly impossible many times to find anyone that can actually perform a job in anything close to a satisfactory manner.

Do a search on BITOG most there are some that overfill the sump by 1 quart here.

I don't agree with overfilling, however the OEMs would leave some slack on the dipstick markings, just in case, as demonstrated by those members here that have a liking for adding more than what is recommended.

1.5 quarts overfill is too much.

Depending on sump capacity and safety margin allowance adding 0.25 to 0.5 quarts over is usually NOT a problem in the vehicles I driven.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back