List of Purolator failures

Status
Not open for further replies.
I put together a Google spreadsheet of all the Purolator failures that I could find in the last three months of posts.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?...amp;usp=sharing

PM me or email me through the spreadsheet if you want write access or if you have any updates.

It has been several months since I visited the site, but I stopped by a few days ago and noticed all the threads about the tears. It was alarming--I've been using PL10111 and PL14610 filters for a long time now, and I just bought a PL12222 application. Two of those three models have had documented failures.

Nice
thumbsup2.gif
... I take it those are the reported media tears posted only on BITOG. Thanks for putting that together, many here have mentioned it would be nice to see a running list of guys who have chimed in with media tears.

Point of information, what requirements if any are needed to be listed on the spreadsheet? I see where a specific filter application isn't required, so I assume that posting of a picture isn't required? So basically word of mouth qualifies as a verified tear, and makes it eligible for the spreadsheet?

Stu_Rock, on the entry in the Excel spreadsheet for the tear I say in back in May 2005, the vehicle is a 2004 Nissan Altima, V6. Oil used was Mobil Super 5000, 5W-30. The filter was in service 8 months and date code was F08A26D1 (Aug 26, 2009).

Originally Posted By: sayjac
Point of information, what requirements if any are needed to be listed on the spreadsheet? I see where a specific filter application isn't required, so I assume that posting of a picture isn't required? So basically word of mouth qualifies as a verified tear, and makes it eligible for the spreadsheet?

I think basically what it means is that anybody with a vendetta against Purolator can get published and have their 15 minutes of fame.

Originally Posted By: sayjac

- Line 6 and Line 7 appear to be the same date and same user

- I concur about pictures. One man's imperfection is another man's failure.

- Good work, Stu_Rock. Facts beat suppositions every time.

I highly doubt anyone is going to post up some fake media tears here because they have some kind of "vendetta" with Purolator. The reported tear here are from long time Purolator users, and naturally those people are upset and voice that concern when their once favorite filter has issues.

You might want to add a column in the spread sheet that shows what calendar date the date code translates into based on this decoder.

PurolatorOilFilterManufactureCode.jpg

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
You might want to add a column in the spread sheet that shows what calendar date the date code translates into based on this decoder.

PurolatorOilFilterManufactureCode.jpg

I actually took the time to do this on paper at least, the other day. A-z years 3 times around ( covers 78 years...) Cuz I have that kind of time... I also went through my stash, marking the decoded data on each filter in sharpie. Again, b/c I have that kind of time....now to input to some sort of uploadable table...

Great job.

In response to comments made.

Why would people come here and make something up? If you think that then read the names on the list, read their threads and then provide PROOF. Casting aspersions on the veracity of members accounts with no evidence whatsoever and just using general mistrust and innuendo is frankly disgusting.

The list is of torn filters. That is not supposed to happen and is therefore a failure or fault or whatever you want to call it. Again making a statement that one persons tear is not another persons failure is ludicrous. A tear is a tear and there is only one person here saying the tears are immaterial.

Interesting that all filter parts begin with "1" not "2". I use a Bosch that would begin with a "2" if it were a Purolator. 16 different members have reported issues, 15 since Feb 2014. Filter change interval in all cases were reasonable.

The most important thing will be to determine how many times those filters fail as a percentage of total production. Is it one in a million? If so, that is negligible. But if it is one in 20 filters or worse, that's bad. If it is 10%, that's totally unacceptable.

Only an odd-ball out in 6 simga land would claim that people are making up fake stories about media tears occurring. Maybe that same guy thought the sink hole at the Corvette Museum was all a hoax too. There was actually some dude with a tin-foil hat that claimed that photos and videos of wrecked Corvettes down in the sink hole wasn't real, even though it was even on the national news.
lol.gif

Great list. Thanks for taking the time. Puro has a serious problem. Instead of putting their money towards paid spokesmen on this thread they should instead fix their serious quality issue.

Originally Posted By: NJC
And Purolator's Failure is not an option page:

Originally Posted By: PUROLATOR
After all, you don’t want to risk your engine on a series of “what if’s.”

Wow, you ain't kidding.
shocked2.gif

Yeah, it's pretty ironic when that statement is right from Purolator.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back