Subaru Forester OEM filters - interresting observation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Subaru Foresters (turbo and non-turbo) leave the Japanese factory with oil filter part # 15208AA100 (made by Toyo-Roki in Japan). Subaru recommends this filter as replacement for Turbo Foresters in the US and # 15208AA60 for non-turbo models. The latter is made by Purolator I believe. In addition, the latter is also about a buck cheaper.

I find it interesting that they recommend the 'Made in Japan' filter for turbo models. My Subaru is a non-turbo, but I am paying the extra dollar for the 'Made in Japan' filter as it is the filter my car left the factory with and I am impressed with the quality of Toyo Roki filters.

I have a 2005 Forester XT which will soon be due it's first oil change. The OEM is probably a good filter but I got two free Bosch 3300 filter at AZ, and am not impressed enough with OEM to buy one. I would like to find a larger filter as the OEM is pitifully small, about the size of a small cup, very small.

very interesting point.

Maybe Im reading into it a bit too much, but my guess is that they figure that American consumers as a whole are so stupid that if they are unwilling to get the turbo engine, they are probebly not able to afford the vehicle or maintenance, and so have to cheapen everything that they can so this type of person will shell out the bucks.

Lets face it, we all know someone who wants a car, often wants to show off their car, and then can't get past the costs of maintaining it properly, and will do ANYTHING to save a dime in the service of said vehicle. And Im not talking becoming a shade tree mechanic either. Im talking bottom of the barrel service, parts, etc.

You sir, arent one of such people. Good luck!

JMH

Different filter is specified for turbo models to clear exhaust piping. Purolator-made OEM filters are of excellent quality and are not any worse than Japan-sourced filters. Despite being so small, Subaru OEM filters pack significantly more filtering media than aftermarket filters. The only reason to get the turbo-specific filters is if you actually have a turbo -- to clear the exhaust. Otherwise, American-made filters are very good and cheap enough to buy instead of aftermarket. If your filter leaks (as happened to me), Subaru will cover the tow and repair(s) if you use OEM filters. It is plain stupid to use aftermarket filters in this case. I can understand Honda OEM filters being cheap Frams, but this is NOT the case with Subaru.

Adding to what vvk has already stated, there was a change in the filters specified for the 2004 and later turbos. The smaller size is required to provide adequate clearance to the header. Using the larger diameter filter could result in the oil overheating.

The smaller filter can be used on cars calling for the 15208AA60 filter.

The only aftermarket filter that is truly a correct replacement for the 15208AA60 filter is the Purolator L14460 or PL14460 filter. Every other aftermarket filter is a "Honda" filter that fits. The base plate geometry and bypass settings are not correct for Subaru applications. Subaru calls for about a 10 psi higher bypass setting than the Honda application filters have. The base plate on a Subaru filter is convex, the one on the Honda filter is concave, resulting in it not threading on to the filter mount as far as a proper Subaru filter will.

Ed

But this is BITOG! Some of us go overboard (big surprise). I've got a '97 Impreza w/ a Purolator PL20195, which is Motorcraft FL-400 sized. I used a peculiar Jeep oil filter thread thingy w/ M20x1.5 on one side and 3/4x16 on the other to accomodate the 3/4x16 threaded filter. I tried the PL30001 (FL1A sized), but it touched the back of the timing belt cover, so I went the next size down, which is still HUGE compared to the others. I know the bypass is less than the 14460, but it's SO much larger, I'd bet you a doughnut it doesn't go into bypass as often as the stock one would.
What would this board be if we all used the mfr recommended oil and filter?
cool.gif

Dave

quote:

I used a peculiar Jeep oil filter thread thingy w/ M20x1.5 on one side and 3/4x16 on the other to accomodate the 3/4x16 threaded filter.

I sure hope nobody else ever does an oil change on that vehicle. That set up will confuse 'em but good.

John

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back