Help choose a walk-behind mower

Status
Not open for further replies.
My parents will need to buy a lawn mower in about a month and I'm in charge of research. The budget is
Currently I'm looking at the Craftsman 37060

and the Husqvarna HU675AWD .

From what I understand, the Craftsman could be a rebadged Husqvarna HU700F. It has a Honda GCV 160 and FWD self-propel mechanism.

The Husqvarna HU67AWD has a Kohler XT675 and AWD.

They're both the same price, but I've read about low-end Kohler engines failing prematurely so I'm leaning towards the one with the Honda. I like the idea of AWD though. Opinions?

I'd go Craftsman with the Honda. Its a great engine. But perhaps even more importantly, I think AWD on a push mower would make it harder to turn on flat ground. RWD mowers I have used were not as easy to turn as my FWD ones. Seems to me an AWD push mower would make sense for an area that has some big/steep hills. I don't expect you have that type terain in FL. I could be wrong, YMMV.
Good Luck!

I'm leaning towards the Craftsman just for the Honda engine over the Kohler

.......are you sure a push mower for 3k sq ft is enough?
You could probably browse craigslist for a used but more then serviceable riding mower for the same $$$?

For the money, it's hard to beat Craftman. Not the best out there but solid. I have two with Briggs engines and they start on the first pull everytime. I have tried some Toros which are very over rated in my opinion.

3000 sq. ft.?
Did you mean 30,000 sq.ft.?

I have 40,000 sq.ft. and I have a Troy Built Mower w/Honda GV160 and no drove wheels.

I have reasonably flat lawn so, I found no reason to have any drive wheels, as they usually fail and it's harder to push when they do.

The drive wheels are never worth fixing money wise. in a $300 push mower as it would cost as much or more than a new mower to do so.

If your folks can get away with just a regular push mower(no drive wheels) and the Honda engine with the 1 or 2 pull start engine, this is the way I'd go!

Last edited:
Personally I have always, like my cars liked RWD. I have tried both and the rear drive have much better traction especially when using a bag because it puts the weight on the drive wheels, plus you can use the drive to help you turn, where with front drive you are lifting the wheels off the ground. Easier to guide the rear drive in a straight line. Drive tires on my rear drive mower wore out many years ago, and I just put a few wraps of duct tape around the tires once a month. Works great. Try one of each before you buy.

Originally Posted By: Char Baby
3000 sq. ft.?

If your folks can get away with just a regular push mower(no drive wheels) and the Honda engine with the 1 or 2 pull start engine, this is the way I'd go!

The land is about 10,000 sq. ft. and the house (crossing my fingers that the purchase goes through) is about 3,000 sq. ft. with garage and lanai included. And the front yard is covered with gravel so it basically leaves the back of the house and the sides.

I didn't even realize they made non-propelled mowers that weren't something at the very bottom end. Some of these newer mowers look heavy and you almost have to mow year round in FL. My dad doesn't like mowing as it is. I guess it's another option though.

The AWD Husky is available with a GCV190, it is significantly more expensive though and well out of your stated budget.

I would probably not choose either, not the AWD because of the Kohler engine and AWD and not the Craftsman because of the FWD (and I'm skeptical that sears will be around much longer).

As stated I find the RWD much easier to handle so that would be my choice.

Is the budget flexible at all? Although 25% is a significant stretch a 400.00 budget opens up Honda, Cub Cadet and Toro...

Originally Posted By: asiancivicmaniac
3000 sq. ft.?

The land is about 10,000 sq. ft. and the house (crossing my fingers that the purchase goes through) is about 3,000 sq. ft. with garage and lanai included. And the front yard is covered with gravel so it basically leaves the back of the house and the sides.

I didn't even realize they made non-propelled mowers that weren't something at the very bottom end. Some of these newer mowers look heavy and you almost have to mow year round in FL. My dad doesn't like mowing as it is. I guess it's another option though.

My 21" Troy Built(MTD) w/Honda engine(while walking) is as easy to push/pull as a vacuum cleaner.

To pull start it, there is no primer bulb, just a choke lever/spring. 1 pull all summer long. 2-3 at the beginning of the summer season. I love it! Bought it a LOWES. Less than $300.

Large back wheels is a plus!

My appologies! My cutting area is ~ 10,000 sq.ft.
I am retired with one stent in my main artery(LAD). Still in pretty good shape though!
smile.gif
I love the walk and peace of mind.

Last edited:
Sub-10hp Kohler engine... no thanks. Burn me once, shame on you.

That Craftsman is a Husqvarna and I still have one of their earliest versions of that model on my porch. I bought it in the early to mid 2000's and it has well over 700hrs of run time. I give that a thumbs up for great value for your money.

Originally Posted By: asiancivicmaniac
My parents will need to buy a lawn mower in about a month and I'm in charge of research. The budget is

Currently I'm looking at the Craftsman 37060

and the Husqvarna HU675AWD .

From what I understand, the Craftsman could be a rebadged Husqvarna HU700F. It has a Honda GCV 160 and FWD self-propel mechanism.

The Husqvarna HU67AWD has a Kohler XT675 and AWD.

They're both the same price, but I've read about low-end Kohler engines failing prematurely so I'm leaning towards the one with the Honda. I like the idea of AWD though. Opinions?

If there are no hills get a front wheel drive, easier to turn.

If you get a Craftsman, get a model that starts with 917 (Husqvarna) not 247 (MTD).

The Kohler is junk, junk, junk! Avoid any push mower with a Kohler engine, unless you like fixing the auto choke and doing carburetor repairs every 6 months. The craftsman is an "ok" mower, but were it me, I would find a slightly used Toro Super Recycler on Craigslist. They originally sold for $600 plus and you can find them all day for $150 used. A used Super Recycler is much more heavy duty, will last 3 times as long as a Craftsman, and has heavy duty drive components and an aluminum deck.

The AWD mower has two light duty drive axles. They don't last very long.

Originally Posted By: bubbatime
The Kohler is junk, junk, junk! Avoid any push mower with a Kohler engine, unless you like fixing the auto choke and doing carburetor repairs every 6 months. The craftsman is an "ok" mower, but were it me, I would find a slightly used Toro Super Recycler on Craigslist.

I second this post. I really don't like ANY of the "auto choke" engines. I've fixed a ton of Briggs auto chokes. I guess they are easy to fix, but it's just a needless "trinket" on what is an otherwise decent engine. I've never used a Honda auto choke, but I wouldn't bet that it's much better.

A quality used mower will deliver a much better mowing experience than a new Craftsman/AYP/MTD/etc. Buy a used commerical-quality Honda or Toro or Snapper. They're not very expensive and are a much better mower than a current big-box model.

+1 on the Craftsman with the Honda.

Front drive mowers aren't as unreliable as people make them out to be. In fact, I've seen more rear drive mowers with self propel issues than front drive. Front drive mowers are also much easier to turn. That Craftsman looks like a pretty well built mower to me.

I'd avoid the Husqvarna. I like Husqvarna chainsaws, but from what I've seen some of their mowers aren't anything to write home about. An AWD mower just sounds like it will be problematic. As others have said, I'd also stay away from the Kohler engine. Larger twin cylinder Kohlers are awesome engines, but the smaller push mower engines aren't up to par yet. I've had to fix numerous carb issues on them and the quality just isn't as good as a Honda or Briggs and Stratton. The parts are also harder to find and more expensive. I can still get pretty much any part for an old Craftsman mower. In fact, there is one sitting in my garage right now that I'm replacing the front wheel brackets on because a customer backed over it with their car. The mower is almost 20 years old yet it starts right up and the parts were easy to find.
thumbsup2.gif

What do you see the mower doing most of the time? as in bagging, mulching? I saw someone else post it already and I second the idea of either bumping up the budget or finding a good used Toro super recycler. I have used both rear wheel driven and front wheel driven and 200% prefer the rear wheel driven. The front wheel drive ones are just frustrating to say the least (especially if you are bagging). You will either be lifting up on the handle to get traction to the wheels or you will be pushing it, so whats the point? Another benefit with the toro super recycler is the aluminum deck... you will not regret that as the motor will die long before the deck will. It's a great mulcher as long as you don't use it on huge tall grass, but then again no mulcher works well on that kind of grass... it bags just fine, and if you don't care about mess it also has side discharge.

I have a LawnBoy push mower for 6 years now which I abuse on occasion (mulching twigs and small branches),I changed out the oil once and added a couple ozs.of mos2 and air breather was replaced once.It works perfectly and usually starts on first pull (even after winter).I sharpen the blades a few times a season with a hand sharpener...takes only a minute. The most durable piece of equipment I have ever owned.I paid $325 at Home Depot.I highly recommend it.

I have a RWD Husqvarna with a Kohler engine. I've had it for 6 years and never had a problem with the carb or auto choke. That being said, I have always run E0 gas in it with Stabil. It has been a good unit.

If I had it to do over again I would probably just buy a Snapper. I didn't want to spend the money at the time since I was unemployed and about to get married, but it would have been worth stretching a little for.

3000 sq. ft.?

I have 40,000 sq.ft. and I have a Troy Built Mower w/Honda GV160 and no drove wheels.

I have reasonably flat lawn so, I found no reason to have any drive wheels, as they usually fail and it's harder to push when they do.

The drive wheels are never worth fixing money wise. in a $300 push mower as it would cost as much or more than a new mower to do so.

Is this the TB 130? I'm looking at that one... the push mower, high back wheel with the Honda 160 engine. If this is the one, let me know what you think. My goal for a mover is a good push mower with a strong engine for when I'm lazy and the grass gets a little too high. The 5.50 torque mower I have now doesn't quite cut it. Side note but important, this boy doesn't bag clippings
smile.gif

Another, get a used Toro vote. I haven't paid for a mower in 20 yrs. I have a had a few Toro 21" walk behinds. Aluminum deck, RWD, 3 speed. My current Toro has needed nothing in 5 yrs. I use it around the house where my sit down is too clumsy.

They don't like buying things used that they can get new though. I wouldn't be able to convince them even if a used Toro is better than a new cheaper one.

Appreciate the input. Now if I could only find a push mower with a Honda that's built well. I guess a B&S one would be alright too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back