Hardened brake dust deposits

Status
Not open for further replies.

JHZR2

Staff member
Exactly per the title. Usually my wheels get squeaky clean with just car wash soap and the sponge. Recently I've noticed some hard deposits - mostly little speckles but a few larger, say the size of half a dime. What's the best way to deal?

Sponge or brush? I know the critic had some caustic stuff that etches your lungs too. What's a good product? The sonax color changing stuff?

The Sonax Full Effect cleaner is quite effective without damaging the finish, yes. Just make sure you follow the directions.

I occasionally get the big hard deposits that don't brush or rub off. In that case, I use a fingernail or sometimes even a Magic Eraser.

Unfortunately if those deposits sit there for too long they will "bake" into the finish and be almost impossible to remove.

Originally Posted By: dparm

Unfortunately if those deposits sit there for too long they will "bake" into the finish and be almost impossible to remove.

The pad "dust" can be really hot if the car is braked aggressively and it immediately melts into the clear coat or paint. More aggressive brake pads have a higher metallic content and the dust is harsher. Price you pay for performance.

Before using the magic eraser which is a harsh abrasive melamine foam, try first claying the wheels and then using a rubbing compound like Ultimate Compound. These should be able to take care of any deposits.

I would avoid using some of the caustic cleaners or acid based cleaners. No need to resort to those until all else fails. And in my experience all else rarely fails.

Originally Posted By: turtlevette
The pad "dust" can be really hot if the car is braked aggressively and it immediately melts into the clear coat or paint. More aggressive brake pads have a higher metallic content and the dust is harsher. Price you pay for performance.

Makes sense, and explains (to me at least) my sometimes the dust seemed to "eat" into the clearcoat.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
The sonax color changing stuff?

Although Sonax does work rather well, if you have severe or baked on brake dust it's not nearly strong enough to handle that type of build up. I use Megs Wheel Brightener for neglected wheels or those that sonax cannot handle. It will damage some wheels and is dangerous if used incorrectly, but I wouldn't be without it.

On my non performance based vehicles, I've switched to quality ceramic based brake pads. It keeps the wheels looking nice, and keeps them easy to clean.

Originally Posted By: turtlevette

Correct. Sintered pads seem to be the worst in this regard.

Meguiar's. Make sure to get the "coated aluminum wheel" formula, available at that Giant-Evil-Retail-Emporium-Nobody-Wants-To-Publickly-Admit-They-Shop-At.
whistle.gif
I used it on my neglected (never cleaned) 10 year old aluminum rims and after some very hard scrubbing they came out like new.

The Sonax Full Effect cleaner is quite effective without damaging the finish, yes. Just make sure you follow the directions.

I occasionally get the big hard deposits that don't brush or rub off. In that case, I use a fingernail or sometimes even a Magic Eraser.

The Sonax Wheel Cleaner is probably the safest way to clean them. They recently came out with a new Sonax Wheel Cleaner PLUS that is supposed to be 30% more effective.

However, the Sonax product is sometimes not strong enough. You may need to use one of the acid-based products in accordance with their directions.

Originally Posted By: asiancivicmaniac
Be careful with the Magic Eraser, it is abrasive

It's a micro-abrasive. Unless you're using it all the time on a very soft surface, I wouldn't worry too much.

It's a micro-abrasive. Unless you're using it all the time on a very soft surface, I wouldn't worry too much.

It's microabrasive compared to scouring powder used for your home. But even compared to rubbing compound a magic eraser is quite harsh. Try it on a CD and see for yourself before putting it to your wheels.

Update. Finally snapped a pic of my issue. Mainly the corner mess. Wheel woolies with regular carwash soap just doesn't do it...

090A3985-F0C8-4437-BD37-46F1289B19C9_zpsc6zv7mom.jpg

6F8FAA1F-DE74-481A-9D5C-5B300A965CF2_zps5xq7zxl4.jpg

That's what my mustang wheels look like but worse. In my case the brake dust is getting up underneath bubbled clear coat. There is nothing you can do short of stripping the clear coat off.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back