using a little oil. need recommendation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi. I am new here. I own a 2010 Toyota camry hybrid. The owners Manuel recommends a 0w 20 or 5w 20 oil.I prefer synthetic oil. I usually drive very easy. More highway miles than city. Im looking for an oil and filler recommendation.Right now I am using Mobil 1 5w 20 syn.but it has been using a little oil.about 1/2 quart in 5000 miles. This is s hybrid so it does shut off and on alot.

I'm confused. You say that you own the car but then say somebody called "Manuel" owns it and wants you to use xW20?

Appositive humor, nice....

To the OP, How many miles on your car. Many Toyotas, including mine, uses a bit of oil. 1/2 qt/5000 is nothing over which to change your regimen

Yes you are confused. That should have said manual. I feel better knowing my smart phone aint as smart as me and changed it to the wrong spelling.

Its got 92000 miles. Im just a perfectionist and wanted some opinions because the Mobil 1 oil filter is about 14 dollars. Also Toyota recently changed oil change intervals to 10000 miles if using synthetic.

Originally Posted By: born2push
Its got 92000 miles. Im just a perfectionist and wanted some opinions because the Mobil 1 oil filter is about 14 dollars. Also Toyota recently changed oil change intervals to 10000 miles if using synthetic.

M-1 0w20 AFE will easily do 10K OR switch to M-1 0w20 EP, which is guaranteed for up to 15K (same price at WalMart). BTW, a 1/2 quart usage per 5K is nothing to worry about.

To save a few bucks, you might consider switching to a Fram ULTRA filter (under $9 at WM). Its a top-tier, long OCI filter, that has synthetic wire-backed media and can go up to 15K. Here on BITOG, the ULTRA is considered by many (including myself), as one-of the best available.

Originally Posted By: Oregoonian

M-1 0w20 AFE will easily do 10K OR switch to M-1 0w20 EP, which is guaranteed for up to 15K (same price at WalMart). BTW, a 1/2 quart usage per 5K is nothing to worry about.

To save a few bucks, you might consider switching to a Fram ULTRA filter (under $9 at WM). Its a top-tier, long OCI filter, that has synthetic wire-backed media and can go up to 15K. Here on BITOG, the ULTRA is considered by many (including myself), as one-of the best available.

Agreed with everything mentioned above.

If you use either M-1 AFE or EP 0w20 and do 10k OCI, then add 1/2 quarts at 5k and change oil at 10k without any top off.

You may be a perfectionist but machines aren't....they do use/lose oil, some more than others...it's perfectly normal, and your engine's "loss" is better than most...

I wouldn't change the oil type or anything you've been doing...just change it when the level drops to "0" on the dipstick or @ 10k miles, whichever comes 1st.

Last edited:
Hi. I am new here. I own a 2010 Toyota camry hybrid. The owners Manuel recommends a 0w 20 or 5w 20 oil.I prefer synthetic oil. I usually drive very easy. More highway miles than city. Im looking for an oil and filler recommendation.Right now I am using Mobil 1 5w 20 syn.but it has been using a little oil.about 1/2 quart in 5000 miles. This is s hybrid so it does shut off and on alot.

Though M1 is great oil, I've known of numerous vehicles that used a little M1, but didn't use oil when other brands were used.

That is some crazy oil consumption. I would sell that car if I were you. I will give you 5000 for it and come and take it off your hands so you don't have to worry about it any longer. Let me know what is a good day for you. See you soon.

Thanks.Im new to synthetic oil and just needed some opinions from people who care about their vehicles.I know a half quart is not much but my other imports stay on the full line. How ever i must add that i checked my oil after driving 1100 miles in about 18 hours.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: bullwinkle
Wouldn't bet on that, necessarily-my xB in my sig is up to 8K on M1 EP-has yet to use any!

thumbsup2.gif
Nope not betting, just mentioning.

Thanks. I thought 0 -20 was not nessacary in 60 to 120° temp range. It will be around there for this oil change.

Stick with the 0w20.....no matter what climate your in, using 0w20 will be easier on your starter and smoother starts, come up to proper temps faster on longer runs (less wear), and keep your engine running cooler.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back