Zastava M92

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been wanting a carbine for awhile now and I much prefer AK-type guns to AR-type. So, the Zastave M92 seems perfect.

Put one on layaway with a couple of p-mags. Should be able to bring it home in a couple or three weeks.

Any feedback on the M92 or Zastava in general? Mine will only be used for shooting targets, stumps, old tires, etc. We have a feral pig problem at Dad's place but I'm not sure 7.62x39 has enough punch for the big porkers, especially out of a snubby.

Zastava M92

Originally Posted By: Tegger
Fixed your link.

Zastava M92

Thanks. I'm doing this from work on my lunch hour. I couldn't check to see if the link worked because that site is filtered (guns).

Min,

I used the M21/5.56 variant in Iraq to "plink." It was more reliable than our off the shelf ARs but not as accurate. I tried 62gr ball ammo and 69gr match with negligible performance differences. Groups averaged about 3.5" @ 100 vs 1.5" with a std issue M4.

the 7.62x39mm has the same "knockdown power" as the 30/30 winchester out to about 150 yards. With HP ammo is should be adequate, although I would rather have something like a Romanian PSL in 7.62x54r or a Saiga 308 if I was using a comblock rifle for feral hogs.

My friends and I hunt the feral hogs around here with 22 magnum. It is pretty darn effective on them. The 7.62x39 should be more than enough with proper shot placement.

Originally Posted By: cb_13
My friends and I hunt the feral hogs around here with 22 magnum. It is pretty darn effective on them. The 7.62x39 should be more than enough with proper shot placement.

Must be awfully small hogs to be effectively taken down with a 22 mag. That or you are one crack shot and at close range. The 22mag has about the same energy as a 9mm round. My friend has hunted them with a 44mag and found it was taking a second shot a few too many times, so he ended up with a 454 Casull to put them down with one round effectively.

Originally Posted By: Robenstein
Originally Posted By: cb_13

Must be awfully small hogs to be effectively taken down with a 22 mag. That or you are one crack shot and at close range. The 22mag has about the same energy as a 9mm round. My friend has hunted them with a 44mag and found it was taking a second shot a few too many times, so he ended up with a 454 Casull to put them down with one round effectively.

Yeah, it's extremely thick woods where we hunt them so not really much chance of a long range shot. Mostly head/rib cage shots at under 50 yards. Was your friend using 44 magnum out of a handgun or carbine?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back