So group III oils aren't really synthetic?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think Pennzoil classifies their GTL base stock as Grp III+. I would consider oils that have been severely cracked, hydrotreated, and isomerized to be synthetic. Some parameter such as molecular weight distribution would be good for defining the limit of what can be considered "synthetic".

Originally Posted By: A_Harman
I think Pennzoil classifies their GTL base stock as Grp III+.

What's the source of this "thought"?

Originally Posted By: Sam2000
I think Pennzoil classifies their GTL base stock as Grp III+.

What's the source of this "thought"?

I think it is in the replies they gave in the Pure Plus Q&A.

Nope, sorry. Here is the reply that Pennzoil gave:

PurePlus™ Base Oil is classified as an API Group III product. It is important to note there is no such category as an API Group III+ base oil, interested readers can download and check out a copy of API 1509 for the current official base oil definitions. PurePlus Base Oil is classified as API Group III base oil based on its molecular structure, but it exceeds the minimum requirements for API Group III base oil.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Last edited:
Perhaps you can check rather than make statements that may or may not be accurate?

Call out the Gestapo.
I was just being conversational.

Perhaps you can check rather than make statements that may or may not be accurate?

Call out the Gestapo.
I was just being conversational.

I think you know that I wrote my post before you edited yours.

It was just a suggestion, comparing me to military police involved in murder is a bit of an overreaction don't you think?

The more I read and learn, the more I realize that buying an oil to meet your specs is first and foremost the most important thing.

BITOG needs a sticky telling newbies base oils is just one of the factor in engine oil criteria selection we all now know overall engine oil performance, API and ACEA compliance, OEM builder approvals are probably more important.

Just remembered most important factor BITOG approval and acceptance.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back