2010 FX4 5.4L 3V Sparkplug Change @ 128K

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Vikas
COP boot is rubber only part? Or are you talking about the actual electronic portion aka the coil too? What did they replace? My experience with COP with makes (Honda/Nissan) is that the boot / coil are sold as single replaceable item. Ford has coil and boot separate for the COP assembly?

And yes, you are absolutely right that the gap is lot wider than the original and these plugs needed to be replaced at this mileage.

Just the rubber boots with some metal connectors inside. It was not the coils too--fortunately they are all OK). The spark plugs were about $12 each and the COP boots were $8.00 each. I would have had to buy these anyway so I did not include them in the cost of the labor, which was $275 (it was about $435 total parts and labor--which includes a 2 year unlimited mileage warranty on the parts and labor since Ford did the work with Ford parts).

Now let me ask you the question. Why do you think it was worth letting dealer do this? Even if you had those "bad" type of plugs, if something were to do go wrong, you would have been on the hook to fork the added cost of extraction/thread repairs etc. Ford dealer don't just say "oops it broke, we will fix it for you free!". They already make you sign that you will pay $xxx for each plug that breaks while taking out.

Don't take this wrong way, I let my mechanic change the oil in my cars, so I don't have any moral right to question your decision. The two spark plug changes done on my vehicles were done gratis by by mechanic as a part of some other job he was doing on those vehicles. I had just kept a brand new OEM spark plug set (purchased from Amazon) on the passenger seat.

FWIW on the 3V plugs that are prone to breaking, our techs charge 4 hours plus .5 for every one that breaks. That 4 hours includes pulling it in before they leave for the day, and soaking them in Mazda Zoom cleaner overnight.

Originally Posted By: Vikas
Now let me ask you the question. Why do you think it was worth letting dealer do this? Even if you had those "bad" type of plugs, if something were to do go wrong, you would have been on the hook to fork the added cost of extraction/thread repairs etc. Ford dealer don't just say "oops it broke, we will fix it for you free!". They already make you sign that you will pay $xxx for each plug that breaks while taking out.

Don't take this wrong way, I let my mechanic change the oil in my cars, so I don't have any moral right to question your decision. The two spark plug changes done on my vehicles were done gratis by by mechanic as a part of some other job he was doing on those vehicles. I had just kept a brand new OEM spark plug set (purchased from Amazon) on the passenger seat.

To directly answer your question, I did not have the time, I did not have the correct tools, and other than minor maintenance, I quit working on cars years ago. I have more important things to spend my time on than to fight with something like a spark plug change on a vehicle like this one. For $275 (the parts would have to be purchased no matter what), it was totally worth it to me not to have to mess with it (bad plugs or not). I have a good dealer and they have never "jacked me around" and I feel confident they know what they are doing. Some guys like working on cars, but I left that behind when I was in my twenties, perhaps it was because I was broke and the cars I could afford back then required constant repairs and I became burned out on it. For me, those days are long gone...but working on my ATVs is another story
cheers3.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back