Purolator classic L14610 cut open 2010 CRV

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know there have been a bunch of threads showing Purolator filters having torn media. So i decided to cut open the one i took off my wifes 2010 CRV

2010 Honda CRV
5300 miles on filter
0w20 Mobil 1 synthetic

No media tears as i can see, only a couple wavy pleats near the seam. ADBV is still soft and pliable (no hardening) Other then that it everything else looks good.

The wavy pleats are due to expansion usually caused by moisture. That filter looks really good. They used to all look this good, before about 18 months ago. Still the best value filter, IMO.

Nothing unusual here in my experience with 14610 and variants. 5300 miles is a substantial oci. Metal seam pleat area looks normal, no issues. Was it run in the winter? And just curious what was time frame? Based on appearance engine must be a well maintained one. Excellent oil too, and thinking it could have been run longer based on results shown.

Might want to post the date code for the board shamuses.

Bottom line, looks good. Thanks for the pics and taking the time to post a positive L14610 anecdote.

Bought and Installed this filter in Nov 2013 and it was ran till beginning of April 2014 and approx 5300 miles. Purchased at wal-mart.

Yes this car is very well maintained as i am very anal with all my vehicles !!!

date code on top of filter is F06E14E2 so you guys know

Last edited:
Thanks for posting. I have an L14610 on our Acura right now and lose zero sleep over it. When I change the filter, I will be sure to cut it open. I may have to eat crow, but I'm confident that I won't.
smile.gif

so i will continue to run this filter on this vehicle. another one will be cut open in 5k miles. it cant be all the puro filters having tears out of all of them produced.

Originally Posted By: bullwinkle
You have the wide pleats near the crimped metal seam-bet the 0W20 was thin enough to prevent the tears.

Hard to tell from the photos. The pleats near the seam look like they have a pretty small amount of V-spread which is also a contributing factor IMO. If the pleats are widely spaced, but have very little V-spread at the end, then the stress on the pleat due to oil flow is less, and therefore less chance of tearing the media near the ends.

Was just going to say the same thing. It's not clear, in these photos, what's going on with the pleats. Some models can be effected, some not. Driving conditions matter, and it's not a given that a filter with improper pleating will absolutely fail. A detailed picture of the pleat footprint would be helpful.

This is what to look for regarding proper pleat condition:

https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=21...nt=photo%2c.jpg

Last edited:
What is absolutely clear is the OP says he has zero issues with this L14610. It's been run a 5300 mile winter oci and has a metal seam pleat. Bottom line it worked fine, and anything else regarding the OP's excellent result with this L14610 is pure speculation. Unless of course, one is accusing the OP of being a liar?

OT And some newbies need to learn to use the term 'IMO', meaning in my opinion, when the there is nothing to offer but conjecture regarding a topic.

Bottom line, OP has an excellent result here. Based on his comments, looks like he is basing his future use on his results. Seems reasonable.

This is a fine data point concerning this model of filter. It's hardly speculation than many more people are cutting up their Purolators specifically because of concerns about potential media tearing, based on the large reported number of such failures, and whether their filter, usage or equipment will be effected.

In light of that fact, inspecting filters should include consideration of the likely cause of the tears, which I have identified above. When cutting open filters over concern of possible tear risk, it is important to consider the pleat configuration as I, and others, have described. It would be a more useful inspection to identify whether pleat configuration problems exist in a given filter model.

Originally Posted By: sayjac
...Bottom line, OP has an excellent result here.....
And you left out 'IMO' about your inspection orders to posters.
56.gif

Last edited:
...Bottom line, OP has an excellent result here.....
56.gif

Which, regarding tears (which the OP is concerned about), could mean something, or could mean nothing, depending on additional required information.

Nobody is saying the filter didnt perform in this case.

OP what's the date code?

The pleats nearest the metal crimp are not in the V shape that has been on failed filters.

Originally Posted By: bepperb
Still the best value filter, IMO.

IMO, the best value filter is orange, costs a few cents more, and doesn't have a history of failure. If you're going to put a tearolator on your car why bother with a filter at all?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back