Mobil 1 vs Mobil 1 EP

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi everyone,

with summer around the corner and the weather in cali getting warm.. I'm thinking about switching it from 5w30 to 10w30..

my question is, would that be okay?

also, my oil stash is getting a bit low and while cruising wally world, I saw they have the mobil 1 ep for the same price as regular full synthetic mobil 1.. I'm thinking about giving it a try.. my oci would still be at 5k..

is there any difference between the EP vs Mobil 1?

Also..

I have a 05 c55 amg in the garage.. and current fill is mobil 1 0w40.. but I was thinking of switching it to 5w40 for the summer.. cause I doubt cali would get below 0 during summer if not, is going to be in the triple digits..

I saw that wally world carries the mobil 1 5w40 (turbo diesel).. but I couldn't find the mb specs on the back.. would it be safe to use it? or should i try another shop for it?

thanks.

There's no benefit to a 5w40 over a 0w40 gasoline engine oil especially if the 0w40 is M1 0w40. I would be hard pressed to find a 5w40 that I would consider as good in that application, let alone better, for summer use. MAYBE Pennzoil Ultra Euro 5w40 would come close- but its harder to find and just as costly if not moreso.

The M1 5w40 TDT you saw is intended as a diesel engine oil that normally competes with things like Rotella T6. Its not a high-performance gasoline engine oil like M1 0w40. While it won't hurt the engine, its not optimal.

Its an AMG, fercripesake! I wouldn't switch my SRT from M1 0w40 to a diesel oil for any reason, why should you do it to an AMG?

Truthfully- same goes for 5w30 vs 10w30 if both are better synthetic oils like M1. If you're talking low-end non-synthetics with low VI base stock, then yes a 10w30 might have fewer VI improvers than the same brand in 5w30. But that's not even true of the better conventional oils anymore (PYB comes to mind), let alone synthetics.

Originally Posted By: sky06

Yes.

I believe it's explained on the bottle.

mobil-1-extended-performance-5w30-fully-synthetic-usa-bigfrog2301-1307-15-bigfrog2301@2.jpg

Since they say the EP does better at both lower and higher temperatures than regular Mobil 1,it may contain slightly more PAO and a more robust additive package.

Originally Posted By: sky06
my oci would still be at 5k..

For 5,000 miles? None whatsoever. Both are overkill and using the EP would just be ludicrous overkill.

As for your AMG, what does Mercedes recommend? I think 440Magnum was spot-on with his comments above.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back