best oil for 98 saturn

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: jfug97
I just recently bought a 98 Saturn with a 1.9 dohc, it uses about a qt every 1000 miles what would be the best oil to reduce consumption? high mileage oil or diesel oil?

I'd just run the SuperTech HM oil. Cheapest HM out there, and I am unsure if any HM oil is going to have a large effect on the Saturn's consumption.

Originally Posted By: Donald
Originally Posted By: jfug97
I just recently bought a 98 Saturn with a 1.9 dohc, it uses about a qt every 1000 miles what would be the best oil to reduce consumption? high mileage oil or diesel oil?

Its a Saturn, the boneyard is calling. Let it go.

I hate comments like that saturns are good cars.

Those " Real " Saturns were good cars. Used to own a 2002 SL2 and it was probably the best car I ever had. Didn't need any repairs till I had to replace the original brakes at 124k . Just fluid changes, tires and filters. All done by the book. It was using some oil as the mileage got higher. I didn't really find it to make a difference if I used HM oil or not but for some reason it did like some brands more than others. Even tried Rotella T6 and that didn't make any difference either. Usually by 3-4k it was a quart low and that is when I would change the oil and not bother topping it off. Later on I started topping it off and going to 5k before I sold it. Chaging to an OEM PCV valve did help some and it did use less with OEM than aftermarket. Try to bounce around with brands and see which burns the least and stick to that one. Not sure if I remember which one I used towards the end. I know I used Castrol GTX most of it's life but others burned less. I also stuck to the 5w30 as it called for since thicker oil didn't help me much.

First, use the long oil filter, a Fram 3600 or Purolator 20195.

Second, run either Shell Rotella T6 or Mobil 1 Turbo Diesel in 5W-40 for 250-500 miles.
High levels of detergents, should help unstick rings and clean drainback grooves.
If rings are already worn, oil consumption may continue...

Change oil and filter.
Use a name brand or house brand full synthetic 5W-30 oil for regular use, run 5000-7000 miles

Last edited:
Actually the Purolator long oil filter is cheaper than the short...

Go figure...

If you run dino, change oil at 2500-3000 miles...

I had three Saturns SL's, just gave one to my neice as a college graduation present....

Autozone PCV1006DL is the original equipment,

PCV1009DL is the fixed orifice...

Note the nearly identical part numbers...

You want the same oil I use in our Saturn that thinks it's a 2 stroke....Whatever's cheap.

Currently for me it's my 50 quart stash of lime flavored Maxlife 10W-40 from when O'Reillys had it on clearance.

A good synthetic of whatever flavor you want would help to at least keep consumption where it is.

Personally I have used whatever is cheap typically in 5w-30 flavor and mine still runs and burns at the same rate as when I bought it (a lot).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back