2007 Escape Steering wheel location...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Let me start off with the facts:
- Alignment has been checked, is perfect.
- Drives completely straight, no odd pulling right or left.
- Newish tires
- New front end control arm assemblies
- New sway bar end links and bushings (or something like that)
- Hit a curb hard in the ice back in December. Alignment check, new tires, etc was after.

Now for the problem. When driving straight, the steering wheel is just slightly off center to the left. So if I line up the wheel perfectly straight, the car just ever so slightly goes right. I think this probably happened from hitting the curb in an ice storm.

questions:
1) It doesn't bother me too much. I'm probably OK leaving it alone. Any reason to fix it?
2) What would the culprit? What part likely needs replaced or adjusted?

Thanks.

Is one of the wheels crooked? As in, the hub the wheel isn't parallel to the rim.

If you get another alignment, put a piece of masking tape on the steering wheel at what YOU think is top dead center. The tech who works on it will have no choice but to notice and use it.

To straighten the wheel, you need an alignment. If when you hold the wheel, the car drifts to the right, you probably need to toe the right side IN and toe the left side OUT. Just very slightly. This can be done at home by you. I've done it on the last 3 or 4 vehicles we've owned. It's very easy...it does take some trial and error to arrive at what feels the best to you, but you can do it.

Originally Posted By: badtlc
- Alignment has been checked, is perfect.

Statements like this are always suspect to me, and are usually not accurate. As it is in this case. If the steering wheel is not straight, the alignment isn't perfect.

Realize that the allowable alignment range is so wide, the vehicle can be in tolerance and still pull to the side or have a crooked steering wheel. Only an individual who cares and has patience will get it perfect. I've found only one person like that around here: the vehicle owner.

To the OP, our Fusion did this after an alignment once. The alignment was perfect, but the wheel was at the slightest angle when the car went straight. Took it back to the dealer who did the alignment, and all it was was a simple alignment with the steering wheel and the shaft (or something like that). Probably just an oversight when tightening everything back together. Steering wheel has been dead straight in the 2 years since.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back