Pennzoil Platinum VS Ultra Platinum.

Pennzoil offers the new Natural Gas GTL oil under two separate names. I can buy Platinum 5w-30 or Ultra Platinum 5w-30. Same grade. One is a silver bottle and one is a charcoal grey bottle. But what is the difference? The only difference from the description on the bottle is that the regular Platinum "keeps pistons 40% cleaner" and the Ultra Platinum "keeps pistons 25% cleaner."
I'm not so worried about clean pistons, but I am worried about the lubricity of the oil. It will be going in a high mileage old car that I'm sure has plenty of "dirt" on the pistons anyway.
What is the difference in Platinum 5w-30 and Ultra Platinum 5w-30?

I was torn between the 10w-30 and 5w-30 grades of this oil. Does anyone know if the the 10w-30 and the 5w-30 are considered "thick 30 weights" or "thin 30 weights?"

Also, I was interested in the 0w-40 grade of this GTL oil. But I can't find it anywhere locally. Walmart sells just about all of this new GTL oil except that one. What's the deal with that?

Any opinions on these oils would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Originally Posted By: Lurgi
But what is the difference?

The question has come up a number of times in the past.

The first two responses in the Q&A kind of touch on it...

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/pennzoil-q-a/

But in reality, we really do not have a lot of detail on the exact differences, I'm afraid.

Also:
http://www.pennzoil.com/technology-of-clean/motor-oil-comparisons/

Quote:
Also, I was interested in the 0w-40 grade of this GTL oil. But I can't find it anywhere locally. Walmart sells just about all of this new GTL oil except that one. What's the deal with that?

PUP 0w-40 hasn't made its way into the retailer shelves yet, I think. However, this product was previously called Pennzoil Ultra 0w-40 SRT and is sold at places like Advance Auto Parts or AutoZone. Walmart never carried it in the past.

In addition to the above, there will also be PP 0w-40 (for European applications) available, but that one hasn't been seen out in the wild yet.

I was torn between the 10w-30 and 5w-30 grades of this oil. Does anyone know if the the 10w-30 and the 5w-30 are considered "thick 30 weights" or "thin 30 weights?"

Both the 10w30 and 5w30 grades are thin 30-weights; their viscosities are in the lower half of the 30 range. The 10w30 will probably give lower oil consumption. Pennzoil markets these oils mostly for their cleaning ability. If you can get the Ultra Platinum for the same price as Platinum, go for the Ultra. If it's more, it's up to you how much you want to pay for the extra cleanliness.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
But what is the difference?

The question has come up a number of times in the past.

The first two responses in the Q&A kind of touch on it...

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/pennzoil-q-a/

But in reality, we really do not have a lot of detail on the exact differences, I'm afraid.

Also:
http://www.pennzoil.com/technology-of-clean/motor-oil-comparisons/

Quote:

PUP 0w-40 hasn't made its way into the retailer shelves yet, I think. However, this product was previously called Pennzoil Ultra 0w-40 SRT and is sold at places like Advance Auto Parts or AutoZone. Walmart never carried it in the past.

In addition to the above, there will also be PP 0w-40 (for European applications) available, but that one hasn't been seen out in the wild yet.

I saw it yesterday at autozone. Only single qts tho.

Originally Posted By: Volv04Life

I saw it yesterday at autozone. Only single qts tho.

You saw what at AutoZone? I mentioned several products in my response.

Thanks for the valuable info guys.
One issue I've noticed is that on the back of the bottle, the Platinum brags about "40% cleaner pistons" and the Ultra Platinum says "25% cleaner pistons" ...yet their response to the questionnaire that Quattro Pete linked to states the opposite, that is the Ultra Platinum is the "cleaner" oil.
The cleaning issue isn't important to me. I just want the oil that lubricates the best under varying conditions.
I would like to have a "high 30 weight" or a "low 40 weight."
...still looking for the 0w-40.

One issue I've noticed is that on the back of the bottle, the Platinum brags about "40% cleaner pistons" and the Ultra Platinum says "25% cleaner pistons"

You need to read the fine print.

Platinum says "40% cleaner than industry standard."
Ultra Platinum says "25% cleaner than Mobil1."

So these are two different things.

Ultra Platinum actually says "65% cleaner than industry standard."

http://www.pennzoil.com/motor-oil/pennzoil-ultra-platinum-full-synthetic-motor-oil/

A_Harman,
Is the 0w-40 Ultra Platinum considered a thick or a thin 40 weight?

A_Harman,

It's probably a thin-40. Not much demand for a thick-40 these days. HTHS is probably going to be 3.7.

Originally Posted By: dparm
A_Harman,

It's probably a thin-40. Not much demand for a thick-40 these days. HTHS is probably going to be 3.7.

I checked the Shell website, and they don't have a spec sheet for Ultra Platinum 0w40. The old Ultra 0w40 has a KV100 of 13.7, which makes it a thin 40.

To get a "heavy 30" within the Pennzoil Ultra family, try a blend of 5w40 Euro with 5w30 Ultra.

If the PP is a thin 30 and my fill cap specs 5w-20, and I'm using PP 5w-30 (non winter months), then wouldn't it be like a robust 5w-20 once the 30 shears some?
Using the 5w-30 for a GDI engine.

I'm using the PUP 5w-30 in an old 5.0L Mustang with 166,000 mi.

Originally Posted By: Errtt
If the PP is a thin 30 and my fill cap specs 5w-20, and I'm using PP 5w-30 (non winter months), then wouldn't it be like a robust 5w-20 once the 30 shears some?

I doubt you'll see any problems from a bit of shearing. The engine manufacturer takes that into account. If it makes you sleep better at night, run the 5w30 -- it will just sap a bit of power and MPG.

Originally Posted By: dparm
Originally Posted By: Errtt

I doubt you'll see any problems from a bit of shearing. The engine manufacturer takes that into account. If it makes you sleep better at night, run the 5w30 -- it will just sap a bit of power and MPG.

I been running the 5w-20 during winter and 5w-30 during non winter seasons. Haven't been able to tell any mpg hit, guess its so small of a difference. Just thought any 30 shearing, it would hold closer to 20 by end of OC interval. Considering any fuel dilution too.
I'll just continue doing what I'm doing then.
Thanks

Pennzoil Platinum® Full Synthetic motor oil with PurePlus™ Technology keeps pistons up to 40% cleaner than the toughest industry standards (Based on ILSAC GF-5, Sequence IIIG piston deposit test using SAE 5W-30; does not apply to Pennzoil Platinum Euro products), meanwhile Pennzoil Ultra Platinum™ Full Synthetic motor oil with PurePlus™ Technology keeps pistons up to 65% cleaner than the toughest industry standards. (Based on ILSAC GF-5, Sequence IIIG piston deposit test using SAE 5W-30; does not apply to Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 0W-40.)

Pennzoil Ultra Platinum cleans 65 percent better not 25 percent as in your post.

Originally Posted by jdjiii
Pennzoil Platinum® Full Synthetic motor oil with PurePlus™ Technology keeps pistons up to 40% cleaner than the toughest industry standards (Based on ILSAC GF-5, Sequence IIIG piston deposit test using SAE 5W-30; does not apply to Pennzoil Platinum Euro products), meanwhile Pennzoil Ultra Platinum™ Full Synthetic motor oil with PurePlus™ Technology keeps pistons up to 65% cleaner than the toughest industry standards. (Based on ILSAC GF-5, Sequence IIIG piston deposit test using SAE 5W-30; does not apply to Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 0W-40.)

Pennzoil Ultra Platinum cleans 65 percent better not 25 percent as in your post.

I'm glad you bumped a 5.5 year old thread to correct something that didn't need correcting

Pennzoil makes the same percentual industry claims claims for piston cleaning today, as 5.5 years ago.
Read their labels and/or their website, on how they exceed tough industry standards. Mobil-1, Castrol and Valvoline follow-suit.

Name brands generally rule over the house brands, for only about $5-$7 more per five quart jug. Considering the money we spend on our rides, that's chump change...... peanuts, being the Average Joe changes oil twice a year.
Even if OCIs required four times per year, our rides are worth the extra $30 per year spent.

Last edited:
Back