Ayrton Senna

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can we spare a thought for the memory of Ayrton Senna today?
Ayrton Senna (March 21 1960 to May 1 1994).

I had just driven in from Florida on that fateful evening when I heard that Ayrton had been killed. It just was't the same anymore!

Unfortunately I was quite young and hadn't been exposed to F1 when Ayrton was racing. Now that I'm older I've developed both respect and admiration for him. While we lost many years of seeing an incredibly talented driver on the grid we should remain thankful he was here when he was and accomplished what he did.

As a matter of fact, my wife and I went into Manhattan to see it on the weekend it opened in 2010. It is an outstanding documentary by any measure.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
He was my favorite F1 driver, I didn't watch many F1 races after he passed away 20 years ago.

Unfortunately, back in those days of F1, and earlier, I was only lucky enough to catch the odd race. I missed a lot, I fear.

I was watching it live on TV early in the morning. I knew something bad was going on when they took him out of the car and put him on the stretcher with his helmet still on.

Last edited:
Amazing driver.

Schumacher was great but Senna drove very quickly in a different time.

Big difference in his Williams and a pole sitting F1 car today.

I understand Schumacher is showing some positive signs coming out of his induced coma.

That's good news for a great champion.

In the late 80's, early 90's, can't remember, Phoenix had a F1 race. I was there on business and remember reading the in-room city guide touting the upcoming race with world champion "Ayr Ponsenna", yes, Ayr Ponsenna. I guess proofreading was a lost skill and sadly showed the state of the F1 fanbase in the US.

I was watching it live from the Renault motor home. From that last final movement we, most of us, pretty much new! You no longer see that on the videos.

Last edited:
I was in 5th grand when he passed. When my mom dropped me off at school the next day, she had to explain to the teacher why I was so sad and quieter than normal. I was a huge fan and knew something was wrong when I woke up around 7 on Sunday and the race was still on, they always start at 430 here.

When Dale Sr. was killed I had the same reaction. I was always the only real racing fan in my school so no-one else really understood.

I was at Las Vegas Speedway when Dan Wheldon was killed. It was super surreal and just a horrible time. We were in the stands with Charlie Kimball's mom and family. They were freaking out because he was in the accident as well, but then were relieved when he showed up in his pit stall again.

My last conversation with Senna was on the pit lane at at Donnington. It was on the Saturday afternoon and the weather was glorious, however he was not happy with the car and had not qualified well. By the next morning the heavens had opened and talk about wet! We all know the rest, probably one of the most blistering laps ever in Formula one history.

Watched this one as it happened and the tragic death of Roland Ratzenberger and serious off of the young Rubens Baricello.

The same with the late Marco Simmoncelli.

The only solace i took was that at least they died doing what they loved to do

Originally Posted By: jaj
I was watching it live on TV early in the morning. I knew something bad was going on when they took him out of the car and put him on the stretcher with his helmet still on.

Are you sure.

Because i thought they RSI'd prior to putting him in the helicopter.

It is standard procedure to remove the helmet.

Without doing so you have no control of the airway.

Prof Sid Watkins mentions in an interview that the first thing they did was get an airway in him.

In ABC A is first it is always secured first, and would be the first thing i would do in a similar incident.

Perhaps you are getting mixed up with another crash?

I don't know what really prompted me, but yesterday I did a search on You Tube for Indy 500 and F1 racing fatalities through the years. After a couple of hours of surfing, I found a very interesting video from 1975 titled Formula 1: Champions Forever.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NzvRz7hWdFA

It is historically very poignant because it features interviews with Francois Cevert and Peter Revson, who both died in racing accidents within a year or two of the video's production.

(You Tube rules, but it's ruining my life. Once I get rolling on a subject, I can waste 3 or 4 hours when I should be doing something else.)

What was the exact cause of his death? Depending where you look you can find sources that say the wheel/suspension came back and hit his helmet causing scull fractures, another said he didn't have a broken bone anywhere and that a suspension component penetrated his visor and entered his skull causing his death, and another that said both things happened. I guess there weren't any cameras right in that corner when the accident happened.

Originally Posted By: bigjl

Are you sure.

Prof Sid Watkins mentions in an interview that the first thing they did was get an airway in him.

In ABC A is first it is always secured first, and would be the first thing i would do in a similar incident.

No mixup - if you look at the documentary footage, he's on the stretcher headed to the ambulance with his helmet on. I don't know anything about the medical practice at those events, but a driver taken out of the car without removing his helmet indicated serious injuries to me.

Originally Posted By: gofast182
What was the exact cause of his death? Depending where you look you can find sources that say the wheel/suspension came back and hit his helmet causing scull fractures, another said he didn't have a broken bone anywhere and that a suspension component penetrated his visor and entered his skull causing his death, and another that said both things happened. I guess there weren't any cameras right in that corner when the accident happened.

I'm not sure of the exact cause, but I remember it being from a suspension component penetrating the helmet.

Originally Posted By: bigjl

Are you sure.

No mixup - if you look at the documentary footage, he's on the stretcher headed to the ambulance with his helmet on. I don't know anything about the medical practice at those events, but a driver taken out of the car without removing his helmet indicated serious injuries to me.

Will certainly have another look.

In 94 even normal NHS Ambulances would have removed the helmet to secure the airway. Extremely strange if they did leave it on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back