DGI engines are very dirty!

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is what Germans say:

Quote:
New gasoline direct-injection engines emit about 1,000 times more particles, including carcinogens, than previous-generation gasoline units, a study by Germany's TUEV Nord independent vehicle researchers said.

[...]

TUEV Nord said in its study that GDI engines also emit about 10 times more particles than new diesels.

http://europe.autonews.com/article/20131...n#axzz2m8euSsmu

Apparently, there are more studies showing the same thing.

Originally Posted By: Rand
isn't that some kind of lobbying group? did you read the actual article?

Here is the whole paper: http://www.transportenvironment.org/sites/te/files/publications/TUV-Technical_report.pdf

TUV NORD is not some kind of lobbing, it's the real deal.

Quote:
TÜVs (German abbreviation: Technischer Überwachungsverein, English: Technical Inspection Association) are German organizations that work to validate the safety of products and services of all kinds to protect humans, material assets and the environment against hazards.[1]

After reading, my guess would be TUEV is tied to the filter manufacturer (sell millions of filters at 50 Euro). One comment notes ties to the rail industry.

All that aside, this is interesting if there is any validity to the study. Is there a control car in that study for comparison that i overlooked? Also, does the increased soot come from the tendency to have carboned valves? I had thought that one of the big upsides to gdi was the ability to control or reduce overall emissions. Is higher soot the tradeoff for lower overall emissions profile?

There is research going on in the auto industry now on particulate filters for gasoline engines. So get ready for another acronym: GPF, to go along with DPF. It's laughable that the filters would only cost 50 Euro's, though.

Originally Posted By: A_Harman
It says right in the article that TUEV is a lobbying group.

No, it says Transport & Environment is an environmental lobby group.

TUEV (TÜV), who did the study, is not!

Originally Posted By: tstep
... I had thought that one of the big upsides to gdi was the ability to control or reduce overall emissions. ...

So did I, and lower fuel consumption.

Originally Posted By: A_Harman
There is research going on in the auto industry now on particulate filters for gasoline engines. So get ready for another acronym: GPF, to go along with DPF. ...

Yuck. If this is the case, aren't we better off sticking to PFI for now?

Earthdreams = Sootydreams?
lol.gif

A lobbying group hired an "independent" research firm to create a report. A private company hired a private company, absolutely no collusion, conspiracy or bias there....

It all depends on how much people want to pay for "cleaner air". Emissions standards of the future are so stringent that the difference between an engine that warms up in 4 minutes and one that warms up in 5 will be the difference between having a product that is legal to sell and one that isn't. Government regulators may get excited about that, but people will not notice any difference in air quality.

Originally Posted By: accent2012
A lobbying group hired an "independent" research firm to create a report. A private company hired a private company, absolutely no collusion, conspiracy or bias there....

OK, do you say that too every time when you take a pill? You know, pharma companies pay for those studies too.

It's one thing to be skeptical and another thing is to allow your bias to filter out (no pun intended) all info contrary to your believes.

You probably missed this part in my post:

Quote:
Apparently, there are more studies showing the same thing.

True, true. But working in an industry where statistics are used for monetary gains... anybody can take a number and twist it to mean something very different.

Long gone are the multi-party research groups that would yield very effective data that can easily be accepted by a general consensus of panel experts.

Regardless, the air will still get polluted, you can count on it regardless of people have more filters on engines.

with the issues of carbon deposits in GDI engines i do not think that technology is perfected! glad i have plain old port injection!

Most DI gasoline engines are also turbocharged. Did they compare this as well to non DI engines? Turbocharged engines will have vastly different fuel delivery profiles - which could cause the soot. I know my turbo DI car spits out a little black cloud of soot every time it's hammered because of the delay between fuel introduced and boost building.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back