2010 FX4 5.4L 3V Sparkplug Change @ 128K

Status
Not open for further replies.
I took my FX4 into the dealer today and had the sparkplugs and COP boots replaced. I had just short of 129,000 miles on them and they still seemed to be in decent condition although there was some electrode wear (as compared to the new ones) and one of the plugs had a rusty exterior. There were no issues encountered and it was totally worth having the dealer perform the work ($275.00). I replaced them with the same Motorcraft sparkplugs and hope to get 130K out of this set as well.

At any rate, enjoy!

qr6n.jpg

eh8c.jpg

uahc.jpg

ynv1.jpg

rnjtg.jpg

8a4b.jpg

zeyx.jpg

91xr.jpg

9tfx.jpg

h9lao.jpg

dvoi.jpg

Originally Posted By: RF Overlord
The 3V plugs that were prone to breaking off in the head had some sort of extra-long snout after the threaded part.

Not my model year; they redesigned the heads in 2007 if memory serves...but those types can be removed with an impact gun without incident as shown on a few YouTube videos
grin.gif

I agree with posters above, the old plugs look very good for 130k miles. I don't think you can feel any different in driving with new plugs, but 130k miles is a good ROI with the old plugs.

Double platinum plugs? That wear looks typical for them at that mileage.

OTOH, if they had been long-life Iridium plugs, the wear would be almost nonexistent.

Originally Posted By: 2010_FX4
Originally Posted By: RF Overlord
The 3V plugs that were prone to breaking off in the head had some sort of extra-long snout after the threaded part.

Not my model year; they redesigned the heads in 2007 if memory serves...but those types can be removed with an impact gun without incident as shown on a few YouTube videos
grin.gif

Yep, my 05 has the ones that like to break. AFAIK they're original with 115K on them. I probably should get around to changing them one of these days.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
I agree with posters above, the old plugs look very good for 130k miles. I don't think you can feel any different in driving with new plugs, but 130k miles is a good ROI with the old plugs.
Actually, I can tell a difference--especially at idle and when accelerating. It had developed a very mildly rough idle that would come and go, but seems to have faded away. The gaps seem to have widened quite a bit.

Originally Posted By: 1kickbuttranger
Interesting. Japan made? NGK oem's them possibly?
Perhaps, but I could not say for sure. Maybe BDCardinal will chime in with some information.

Originally Posted By: KD0AXS
Yep, my 05 has the ones that like to break. AFAIK they're original with 115K on them. I probably should get around to changing them one of these days.

Soak them from the outside and inside with carbon cleaner when you are ready to pull them. Ford has some special procedures to remove them that supposedly minimizes the chance of breakage. I saw a video on YouTube where a guy used an impact gun to remove those types from many vehicles with no problem.

Originally Posted By: 1kickbuttranger
Interesting. Japan made? NGK oem's them possibly?
Perhaps, but I could not say for sure. Maybe BDCardinal will chime in with some information.

The might be. Honestly Ford is really tight as to who the vendor is. They generally don't disclose because they reserve the right to change vendors at will.

The plugs look decent for that mileage. So glad they changed the design to that style from the interference fit style.

Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
So glad they changed the design to that style from the interference fit style.

You and me both brother! Ford recommended to change them at 85K, but I could not see doing it that early. In addition, the dealer price has dropped dramatically from the first time that I checked. I am glad I waited.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
Actually, I can tell a difference--especially at idle and when accelerating. It had developed a very mildly rough idle that would come and go, but seems to have faded away. The gaps seem to have widened quite a bit.

It's money well spent and the timing is very good.

When I changed 16 plugs(2 plugs per cylinder) in my E430 at 80k miles the OEM plugs was in perfect condition just like new plug. I could not feel any different before and after plugs changed. The owner manual says 5 years or 100k miles, it was 7th year when I changed the plugs.

These look like regular style plug and NOT the infamous plugs that were used by Ford in the past. These should come out like any other plug. Why so much rust on #3?

Originally Posted By: Vikas
These look like regular style plug and NOT the infamous plugs that were used by Ford in the past. These should come out like any other plug. Why so much rust on #3?

You are correct; Ford redesigned the 3V head in 2007. For the rust, I believe it is because the dielectric grease was missed on that one from the factory. All of the others had a light coating of it on them except that one. No explanation otherwise.

Originally Posted By: zzyzzx
Those could have been cleaned, regapped, and reinstalled!

The main cost is in the removal and they have COP boots which are a wear item. I (others may) would not spend the money for the labor and for new boots to re-install the original plugs. I have not measured the gaps on the old ones, but according to the OM they should be 0.039–0.043 inch (1.0–1.1mm. The appear to be much wider than that...

COP boot is rubber only part? Or are you talking about the actual electronic portion aka the coil too? What did they replace? My experience with COP with makes (Honda/Nissan) is that the boot / coil are sold as single replaceable item. Ford has coil and boot separate for the COP assembly?

And yes, you are absolutely right that the gap is lot wider than the original and these plugs needed to be replaced at this mileage.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back