'98 Subaru Forester - oil separator leaking

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a '98 Forester that has begun leaking oil from the rear of the engine. It hits the exhaust, burns and stinks something awful.

I'm pretty confident it is the oil separator plate. Has anyone done this job? I'm not too pleased that I have to pull either the transmission or engine to replace a stupid plastic plate that should have been metal in the first place. That being said, I'm planning to sell the car soon and want to take care of this problem before it sells.

Would it be easier to pull the engine or the trans? The '98 is the only year forester with the DOHC engine and this one is an automatic. The car has 124k miles and the head gaskets were already replaced at around 85K miles. So was the timing belt. I'm not planning on doing much more than replacing the plate and maybe doing the valve cover gaskets if they turn out to be bad.

So, anyone with experience on this job?

Ya know ive always had a HUGE leak from the rear of my outback. It goes everywhere and drips on to the exhaust. Ive been thinking its the rear main or oil pan gasket. I leak 1qt every two weeks or so. You just opened my eyes as to what it could be. I hadnt thought about the plate.

I am more used to seeing the filter sandwich adapter develop a leak that drips on the exhaust. How does it look on your car?

yes r and r trans and replace plate, check rear main oil seal while at it. I have done a few but not lately because of car ages and rot around here.

if you have a lift, pulling the trans is easier. if not, pulling the engine is. if you are doing the valve covers etc, pull the engine.

Also, make sure its not a bad CV boot that is causing the oil be slinged out on to the exhaust.

if you feel like paying, a god tranny place will probably do it for 500- 600

I don't have access to a lift and really hate laying on my back under a car these days.

I'm starting to rethink this job. I really just want to sell this car as it does not get used anymore. I have a buyer, but had the oil leak checked for him as a courtesy. I think I may just cut the price and see if he wants to buy and deal with the leak himself. It doesn't seem to be losing all that much oil, but the burning smell on the exhaust is a problem.

Thanks for the responses. No more Subarus for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back