2010 Honda Pilot, 3.5, Valvo SynPower 6,720-poor

Status
Not open for further replies.
2010 Honda Pilot, Valvoline 5W20 Synpower,6720 on oil, Purolator Classic filter, MM @ 20%, 20k miles on Pilot. Refilled w/ QSUD and will be doing 6k OCI. Have 4 jugs of PU, waiting for my next OCI, but will stay at 6k OCI.

BLACKSTONE: After 20K miles, and what appears to be your third or fourth oil change, we'd expect to see wear
metals getting down to normal by now. Instead, aluminum, iron, and copper are still reading fairly high.
Since they've all come down since last time, we won't start ringing any alarm bells just yet, but if we don't
see some improvements after the next oil change or two, we might start to worry. The TBN was 1.0, which is
right on the borderline, so we wouldn't suggest going any further right now. Stay at this interval for the next
oil and check back to monitor wear trends.

Aluminum 13
Chromium 4
Iron 43
Copper 48
Lead 2
Tin 6
Moly 11
Nickel 0
Manganese 2
Silver 0
Titanium 0
Potassiium 0
Boron 3
Silicon 17
Sodium 264
Calcium 1598
Magnesium 72
Phosphorus 569
Zinc 668
Barium 0

SUS Vis 50.7
cSt Vis 7.47
Flashpoint 370
Fuel .5
Antifrz 0
Water 0
Insolu .4
TBN 1.0

If the oil went in with 13k on engine then there's nothing to worry about regarding the metals. Some engines show less wear at that mileage but I wouldn't think anything of those numbers. Give it time.

What does seem a little disappointing is the TBN, but Chicago (like all of the northern U.S. and Canada) had a brutal winter. Since I have synpower in my car I have extra interest in your results.

How long (time wise) was the oil in use? How tough was the usage?

Thanks for testing and posting!

Yes, the Pilot has VCM. 8 months on the oil, 60% highway. These engines are hard on oil. I'm going to change at 6k regardless of what the MM says. After a couple of PU OCI's, I'll re-test-given the tests on PU, I'm sure I'll see an improvement!

Originally Posted By: p1zippie
Yes, the Pilot has VCM. 8 months on the oil, 60% highway. These engines are hard on oil. I'm going to change at 6k regardless of what the MM says. After a couple of PU OCI's, I'll re-test-given the tests on PU, I'm sure I'll see an improvement!

I wouldn't go over 5K with one of these engines. These things have a history and are notorious!
I also wouldn't do a UOA on the PU for a couple of OCI they will no doubt be as bad or worse than this one.
IMO any junk that is beginning to accumulate in the engine will be present in the new oil and skew the results.
49.gif

Did you pour in the oil yourself? I ask because it looks exactly like plain ol' valvoline, not synpower. That's based on the sodium/calcium levels. That would help explain the low TBN.

The additive levels just match up with the conventional. Again, I know it was a tough winter but it just doesn't match with synpower additive levels.

yup-always do my own oil changes. had synpower in a 2004 Jeep GC, 4.7 ltr. for 7k miles, didn't hold up that well in that one either. went back with QSUD and PP, did much better. i've got QSUD in the Pilot now, but still not going past 6k. picked up a bunch of PU 5W20 at walmart on clearence, that will go in next.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back