2004 Ford Mustang Convertible -- Deluxe or Premium

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm going to be looking at a 2004 Mustang V6 convertible sometime later this week, but I can't seem to figure out whether it's a premium or deluxe model. The owner says it's fully loaded with leather interior, and it has a spoiler. I believe these were both options with the deluxe package, but standard with the premium. The reason why I'm concerned is that there's a nearly $1,000 difference in the blue book value between the two, but I can't see much of a difference. Is there any subtleties to look for? Any help would be greatly appreciated as I really don't want to overpay. Thanks!

Is it that the "premium" refers to a higher compression engine, or more aggressive tune, requiring premium fuel?? ( I've wondered this distinction myself trying to price my brother's 98 & 06 mustangs.)

Quite a change from an old Inegra or the Accords you've been considering.
This is a ten year old ragtop Ford.
Judge the car by its condition and carefully look the soft top over.
Get a price on soft top replacement, since unless the seller can document a new top, this ride will need one and it will cost north of a grand.
Not sure that there's really that much difference in value between these two trim levels. Used cars are valued more on found condition than anything you'll see in any price guide.
It'll also depend upon how anxious the seller is to unload the car.
The start of the topless season seems like a strange time to get rid of a 'vert, unless the seller stored (or used it) it over the winter knowing that there'd be many willing buyers in the spring.

Yeah I too used to own a 3.8 and wasn't impressed with it, ( underpowered, unreliable ), I wouldn't mind owning an 04 terminator or mach1 though.

I had the premium GT 2002 model. Power everything. Leather. Good scoop. Spoiler. Power seat. Cruise. 5 speed. Mach1000 audio system with two 10inch subs in the trunk. Convertible top. Fog lights. Pretty much everything. IIRC the difference was the interior trim, seat style, audio system.

The price he's asking for it is almost $1000 below blue book, so it seems a bit too good to be true. If it checks out and looks to be as mint as he says it is, I might bite on it. I'd rather have an Accord, but I can't seem to find any really nice ones in my price range in this area. I've been looking for a while now and they either have a ton of miles, some rust starting in the back, or both. After being let down time and time again, I've decided to broaden my search a bit. Supposedly this car was stored winters and has very low miles on it, lady owned/driven. Looks to be bone stock. I talked to the owner's husband and he said they're selling it because they never really get around to driving it and they didn't feel it was necessary to keep paying insurance on something they didn't use very much. We've had a few Mustangs in the family before (both were late 90s models) so I'm somewhat familiar with them, but I was never aware of the deluxe/premium trim variations. The ones I drove before were the older 150hp variants. Apparently this one has around 190 or so, so it should be a bit of a step up from the other ones. We never really had any issues with our Mustang 3.8s in terms of reliability. My sister has one on her Windstar right now with well over 200,000 miles on it. Granted, it did need a new head gasket recently but it seems to be repaired and holding up.

Originally Posted By: ThirdeYe
The price he's asking for it is almost $1000 below blue book, so it seems a bit too good to be true. If it checks out and looks to be as mint as he says it is, I might bite on it. I'd rather have an Accord, but I can't seem to find any really nice ones in my price range in this area. I've been looking for a while now and they either have a ton of miles, some rust starting in the back, or both. After being let down time and time again, I've decided to broaden my search a bit. Supposedly this car was stored winters and has very low miles on it, lady owned/driven. Looks to be bone stock. I talked to the owner's husband and he said they're selling it because they never really get around to driving it and they didn't feel it was necessary to keep paying insurance on something they didn't use very much. We've had a few Mustangs in the family before (both were late 90s models) so I'm somewhat familiar with them, but I was never aware of the deluxe/premium trim variations. The ones I drove before were the older 150hp variants. Apparently this one has around 190 or so, so it should be a bit of a step up from the other ones. We never really had any issues with our Mustang 3.8s in terms of reliability. My sister has one on her Windstar right now with well over 200,000 miles on it. Granted, it did need a new head gasket recently but it seems to be repaired and holding up.

It's very normal to find some Gems for a pretty good price if you're lucky, timing is everything.

As you said, they are selling it because they don't use it much anymore, they are not selling it because they don't like to spend more money fixing it.

I had been looking for a 2010-2011 Accord for few months, for about a week or 10 days I didn't look for it then I saw a good condition 2011 Accord EX with 51k miles for $12k posted on local Craigslist few days before, I called and the seller told me that he sold it the day before for $11,500 about 2k below KBB. I missed that chance and somebody else got a good deal.

From my brochure, it looks like the following are Premium items:
ABS/Traction Control
Rear Spoiler
Tape Stripe
Mach 460
Leather-Trimmed Bucket Seats
Leather-Wrapped Steering Wheel

From what I can tell it has all of that except the tape stripes. Not sure if it has abs or not. I'll be checking it out on Sunday, so at least I know what to look for.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back