Daily commute $$ to work toll/gas/parking

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been getting around 25mpg in my Integra, and I drive 6 miles each way to work. At that rate, I put on about 60 miles a week going to work (not including all of my other driving). That's about $9 a week in gas money going to work and back, depending on the gas prices.

Counting our lunches at $8 each on average and our fuel of approx 5.3 gallons per day at $3.90 per gallon, we're at $36 per day. Luckily (I'm supposed to say that, correct??) we commute and work together.

Our commute is 150 miles RT.

Last edited:
I average about 100km/day at about 7L/100km with gas around 1.30/L, so its about $9/day in gas. No tolls, parking, or going out to lunch normally. My wife's gas would be about $5.
Alot of the other costs seem to be fixed, insurance, registration, even tires seem to age out before as they wear out.
Probably there would be savings on suspension components with a shorter commute, but the cars usually are retired from rust, not wearing out...
The big savings is going down to a one car family, but we won't move into town to do that.

$19.45/day. That includes a monthly train pass/22 days, parking, bus ride morning and evening, 3/4 gallon of gas for the vehicle and a grande Pike's from Starbucks for me.

My Accord has been out of commission for a while due to repairs, so I drove my gas-guzzling truck to work every day last week. Cost me $50 in gas for the whole week. If I drove the Accord every day, it would be about $30 per week. If I switch back and forth between the car and truck every day (which is what I normally do) it costs about $40 per week.

My truck has depreciated by about $3k since I bought it 7 years ago. That's about $8 per week. The Accord has pretty much bottomed out on depreciation, so $0 per week.

Last year I spent $1390 on repairs and maintenance for the whole year, for both vehicles. That averages out to about $26 per week. Taxes, registration, and emissions testing costs $260 per year for both vehicles. That's $5 per week. Insurance costs about $23 per week.

So, gas + depreciation + repairs/maintenance + taxes/reg/emissions + insurance = $40 + $8 + $26 + $5 + $23 = $102 per week.

Oh yeah, I don't go through any tolls and I have free parking.

Alright, got curious, did out the math.

Truck: $300/year reg, $900/year insurance, I rounded the numbers. I plan on less than 10k/year but let's call it that, so 12c/m. Gas is $3.60/gallon and I get 19 year round, so 18.9c/m. Depreciation, I bought to own for 10 years, and at 10k/year I will rack up 100kmiles; bought with 73k so at 173k on the clock it will be worth... less. $22k to buy so 22c/m. Don't know about repairs and maintance other than I hope not. Call it 5, as the Jetta (in prior analysis of actual data which I don't feel like digging up) did. 55.9c/m.

Jetta: $300/year reg, $900/year insurance. I really need to drop collision. Diesel is $4/gallon and lifetime average is 46, so 8.7c/m. I bought for $26k and it's worthless now at near 300k, so call it 8.7c/m for depreciation. 5c/m repair/maintance. 28.4c/m.

$2/day in tolls. I don't know why people are including lunch costs, that's not even automotive related. Or do that many people really walk home for lunch? PB&J is awefully cheap; wish I was too.

$52.31 or $27.56.

My commute has changed slightly over the past couple years. My last daily commute was 22 miles one way,now it's 3 miles one way. During my 44 mile commute,I'd use about $30 a week on gas,not too bad. I never eat out for lunch (biggest waste of money imo). I can eat for 2 weeks for what most people at my job pay for one meal going out for lunch.

I manage between $200 to $250/month on gas and tolls only. Hopefully with a new job I can move to a closer place.

I have been eating out a lot lately for lunch and dinner because of classes eating up time to cook. but now that's over and I won't be eating out as much.

For those with ridiculous commute times.... try and see if your work will allow you to bring your own mini-fridge (with a lock) to have in your office or cubicle so that you can stock it up with food for lunch.

I'd also consider carpooling or if you can afford it... chevy volt (plug-in hybrid model).

If I was a super commuter living LA, Boston, NYC, etc. then I would definitely consider a Chevy Volt after watching this video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cn_L05WLc94 Just watch how Matt Farah talks about his Volt.

I run about 100 miles a week in plain commuting, 10 miles each way x 5 days. At ~23 mpg overall, that's (at $3.50/gal.) a hair over $15 a week. However, I highway run out to the suburbs for writers' group meeting once a week and to get my hair cut every 3 weeks, so I average more like 200 miles/week. That brings it to more like $30 a week.

I tend to run the Regal for 13-14 days between fillups and to spend about $50 each time. Some months I have to fill up 3 times, some months only 2, so it averages out.

No tolls, now that they've been taken off the bridge -- though it was only .40 (yes, forty cents) every day. And I have no parking costs, as I park on the avenue outside the campus. (Parking fees here, well, let's just say that Michael Corleone would turn away in disgust.)

And I bring my lunch.

Given the current rate: 60 miles/both ways each day, and given my fit M/T fuel economy (37miles/gal city), it would typically costs me about $6.40 per day on gas, excluding insurance, maintenance and parking.

Q.

Originally Posted By: evandostert
Looking at my commuting costs the other day. Boston burbs thru 2 toll roads and daily parking.
My simple commute on a daily basis is about $40 per day
broken up by gas 11mpg in city about $22
tolls roughly $9
parking $10

Wondering what other people are averaging.

Dude, you need to buy a prius. It will pay for itself and more just in gas savings alone.

$0 when I ride my bike. Although figure new tubes 1/yr (only maintenance I've done on it) $14/yr.

When I drive - anywhere from $.30 to $5 if you want to count maintenance, ins. and depreciation costs or simply gas.

I live 72 miles from work with a $3 toll between. I also stay at company living quarters that is 20 miles away for all except a day or so throughout the work week. I cannot accurately calculate on a per day basis as my vehicle is used to travel between job sites several times per day, and travel varies depending on projects etc.

All in all, on my 2 week a month schedule (7 day weeks), I average $250-$300 in fuel and $9-$12 in tolls per month. Tolls are expensed and fuel goes on company fuel card. Misc vehicle costs and maintenance are included with expenses. The only expense I am out of pocket on is insurance which I haven't broke. Down and figured out yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back