Jeep P1391 loss of crank or cam signal

Status
Not open for further replies.
OK, last week I posted about P0340, cam position sensor. That was replaced but engine recently had another issue of stalling, running rough and CEL coming on. This time its P1391. I am thinking the issue all along was the crank sensor. I will order one. This sensor looks located towards the top of the bell housing. How hard is to get to?

Very , very hard. On an XJ, you have to assemble 3 feet of extensions and enter behind the transmission crossmember.

It's on the drivers side of the bell housing.

Originally Posted By: Miller88
It's just as hard on anything with the 4.0

I suppose lying on my back in the mud with the Jeep on ramps and it raining all not make it easier.

You cannot get this from the top?

Originally Posted By: Donald

I suppose lying on my back in the mud with the Jeep on ramps and it raining all not make it easier.

nope

Originally Posted By: Donald

You unplug the sensor and pull it out from the top but you have to get the bolt out first. If you can do that from the top I will be very very impressed. As Miller88 said, get it from the bottom using a long extension.

A 3' long 1/4" drive extension would come in handy. I recommend using a swivel socket or short socket with swivel extension to get the bolt. A bit of tape on the swivel can make it almost easy except for that bit where you're planning to lay in the mud. Consider throwing down a tarp or some cardboard instead of putting mud there. If you still find it a little on the tricky you might disconnect the transmission shifter linkage for a little more room.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back