Rand CLP: is it as good as they say?

Status
Not open for further replies.
been through a lot of snake oil and flavor of the day oils in my gun lifetime. Saw an ad for Rand CLP. seem that a lot of people in the gun industry are praising it. Sort of how frog lube was.

Anyone try it out yet? is it the second coming of gun oil?

Originally Posted By: domer10
I am in the military, and it is all we use to clean, lubricate, and prevent rust on our weapons, great product.

You use Rand CLP as issue?

You would be surprised what shows up in our supply system. Royal Purple for gearboxes for example...

Originally Posted By: WhyMe
Originally Posted By: domer10
I am in the military, and it is all we use to clean, lubricate, and prevent rust on our weapons, great product.

You use Rand CLP as issue?

Not sure about entire forces, but our unit used it. Here and Afghanistan, never let me down.

My gunsmith caries it and he told me that he won't use any other on the guns he works on. I am favorably impressed because it is a thick oil and a little goes a long way.

Quote:
3. What is the shelf life of your product?

The typical shelf life is three years.

Vegetable base? No thanks.

MSDS is useless.

For me it is either CorrosionX (which seems to be a pretty good lube) or I will go back to Hoppes No. 9 Bore Cleaner or Hoppes Elite or MPro7 cleaner and Breakfree or Hoppes No. 9 gun oil to lube the gun.

I am sick and tired of the miracle stuff. There always seems to be some problem with the miracle stuff. It contains dangerous chemicals (I will put myself first before the gun), it is water based and causes corrosion, or there are issues with long term storage. I guess the old time chemists were better. I heard of potential long term storage issues with this Rand CLP. I heard about possible issues with FrogLube when it comes to long term storage also.

I am tired of the gimmicks. The only things I know for a fact are that Hoppes No. 9 Bore Cleaner still works, and Hoppes Elite and MPro7 will clean gun barrels. I know that CorrosionX and Breakfree have been tested for corrosion protection. And have outperformed even some of the miracle products. And I know good old Hoppes No. 9 gun oil works.

If the miracle stuff makes me angry enough I know I can still use good old Hoppes No. 9 Bore Cleaner and Hoppes No. 9 gun oil. Which were invented a long time ago by guys who could get things done. There was a chemist who posted YouTube videos about gun care products. He apparently died about a year ago. He tested a lot of this stuff with scientific equipment and he recommended Hoppes No. 9 Bore Cleaner and Hoppes No. 9 gun oil. And to protect guns in long term storage a wax called Renaissance Wax that is apparently used by the NRA.

Originally Posted By: Tempest
Quote:
3. What is the shelf life of your product?

The typical shelf life is three years.

Vegetable base? No thanks.

MSDS is useless.

i too have been leary of veggie based oils after i tried Gunzilla. Gunzilla went bad after a while in storage in my experience.

If something is actually being used by the military it will have a MIL number, a NATO number, and a National Test Standards number.

On my old bottle of Breakfree there is a MIL-L-63460 number, a NATO CODE S-758, and 9150-01-079-6124. According to everything I have heard the military has moved on away from Breakfree. As far as I know the new Breakfree does not even meet the military requirements anymore. I heard that the military was using something else but I don't know what it is called. Maybe Royco or something like that.

There are so many tales about what military people were using in wars overseas I don't know what tale to believe. A lot of this new stuff always seems to have some issue of some kind.

At this time I am fairly impressed with CorrosionX. And Hoppes No. 9 Bore Cleaner is pretty much the same stuff (they took one dangerous chemical out) and Hoppes No. 9 gun oil is the same stuff as far as I know.

I heard of some problems with FrogLube in long term storage. Some of the new stuff seems to be a joke. For example, Hoppes Elite gun oil allegedly caused severe corrosion problems in a gun used by a guy for competition and in testing on steel plates Hoppes Elite allegedly did not provide protection from corrosion.

There is actually a new Hoppes No. 9 gun oil out and a new Hoppes No. 9 Bore Cleaner out. I have not tried either one. Maybe they ruined those products too.

Maybe if there are no good products for taking care of guns they can try to eliminate gun ownership that way. We may have to use kerosene to clean gun barrels and motor oil to lube. I don't think they can outlaw kerosene and motor oil. Or maybe use Simple Green on handgun barrels.

I am still testing CorrosionX. Depending on how that testing goes, I am nearly ready to do what that chemist guy recommended and just use Hoppes No. 9 Bore Cleaner and Hoppes No. 9 gun oil. The old stuff. I still have some of that.

If enough people were to do that the 'miracle' gun oil snake oil salespeople will go out of business.

I've used Royco in the Army and G96 is also approved. Not sure if the newest Breakfree meets the spec or not, or if it's just more expensive than the others.

I've been using Tetra for about 10 years or so. After finding that Militec-1 did nothing for rust or fouling prevention and did in fact contain chlorine.
The only other lube I've been impressed with has been TW-25B.
I really like the Mpro-7 for cleaning, and their oil is pretty good. Haven't used it much, but their LPX, Weaponshield, and SLIP2000 are probably all similar in performance.

Isn't Hoppes #9 oil just mineral oil? Whatever it is, it doesn't work as well as Tetra for longevity on fast shooting semi autos, and has been poor in my experiences in full autos. Most CLPs are better at corrosion prevention too.

Is this Royco stuff available to civilians? If so where would a person buy it? People have been told all kinds of tales about stuff like Militec-1 being used by the military in foreign wars. I tried a sample of the stuff and I was not impressed.

MPro-7 (I think Hoppes Elite is the same stuff) is pretty good for cleaning a gun barrel. But I don't want to use the stuff for the entire gun. I don't like the idea of using water based solvents and lubes on the entire gun.

Have you ever tried CorrosionX? I don't think it is that good of a cleaner but it seems to lubricate pretty good.

According to testing on YouTube on steel plates that I have seen CorrosionX and Breakfree are very good at preventing corrosion. The guy who did a lot of that testing is a Navy veteran.

Some of the water based lubes failed really bad in corrosion testing. And there was a product that contains chlorine that did really well but if some product might give me cancer I will let the gun rust first before I let that happen.

Either MPro-7 or Hoppes Elite will clean a gun barrel okay. I am finding CorrosionX to be a pretty good lube. Breakfree still seems to work okay but I think it is not the product it once was. Certainly the new containers do not have all of the MIL and NATO numbers like the old Breakfree did.

If I ever come across the new Hoppes Bore Cleaner No. 9 and the new Hoppes No. 9 gun oil (they contain synthetics) I will give them a try. I guess a person would have to order them from Hoppes. I have no idea if they are good or not. But I do know that the old Hoppes No. 9 Bore solvent worked fine and I used the old Hoppes gun oil for a long time also. Sometimes if the weather is bad I have to clean my gun inside and I will not use Hoppes No. 9 Bore Cleaner inside my house. I don't mind the smell outside.

I used some Hoppes No. 9 gun oil on an overhead ceiling fan and it worked great. A lot better than worthless 3-in-1 Oil.

I don't know what products are being used now but according to what I was able to find out the Forest Service in Colorado was using Hoppes Elite to clean guns and Breakfree to lubricate them.

It would be nice to have a good CLP that can be used to clean, lube and protect a gun. I don't know where to find Royco so I will try G96 again based on your saying the military approved it also.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back