Fresh oil now noisey

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just did the oil in my truck yesterday replacing the MC 5w20 blend with QSUD 5w20. Used a new fl500s filter and the computer said i had 17% oil life remaining (51,000 total miles on truck). Always had a little idle ticking which i believe is normal for just about every ford i have owned but it seems a good bit louder now. Has anybody had a similar experience with the quaker state synthetic? Seemed very thin when filling up, too...

Are you sure it wasn't M1 you put in? Ha! Really, just about every oil there is has complaints of more noise after a change by some. Myself, I have never heard this elusive "more noise thing" since I have been changing my own oil. 1964. Don't worry about it

Last edited:
When you consume something good for you like broccoli and beans you make more noise as well.
thumbsup2.gif

Dont worry about it, give it some time to lay down the add pack and see if the noise goes away. I put in some M1 0w30 in the Uplander and shortly after the engine developed a tick, it sounded like it was a mechanical problem, but after 1000 miles or so it got quieter and went away. I think new oils might wash off the previous oils protective layer, and have to lay down their own. QSUD is an excellent oil.

Originally Posted By: gregk24
Dont worry about it, give it some time to lay down the add pack and see if the noise goes away. I put in some M1 0w30 in the Uplander and shortly after the engine developed a tick, it sounded like it was a mechanical problem, but after 1000 miles or so it got quieter and went away. I think new oils might wash off the previous oils protective layer, and have to lay down their own. QSUD is an excellent oil.

+1 - this "may" be especially true when switching from dino to synthetic. QSUD isn't going to hurt anything.

Some engines just "seem to like" some oils better than others. It doesn't really have anything to do with protection just owner satisfaction so to speak IMO.

But good advice above, in my experience you don't truly start to get an accurate feel for how an oil is going to run in an engine until it has at least 1000 to 1,500 miles on it.

JMO.

I've never had any issues with the QSUD. I've been running it in two different vehicles for a few oil changes. This last change on my truck, I drained QSUD 0w20 and replaced it with M1 5w20 and I *thought* it sounded like there was a little more noise with the M1, but I'm sure it is the same. People are always looking for something to change when they switch oils, but in reality I'm sure there is no real differences. I personally think that people are subconsciously looking for something good to happen when they purchase something new to make them feel good about their purchase.

When I changed from Kendall 5w-30 blend to QSUD at 67K in my 2007 Infiniti, I noticed both some increased valvetrain noise and oil consumption. Both self-corrected during the 4,500 mile OCI. I'm currently using 40% QSUD and 60% QSGB--quieter and negligible consumption.

Seems to have settled a bit after driving all over today. I'll trust the words of others here and the dexos cert that this oil is more than capable of the job at hand. And just for the sake of clarity this was not a start-up noise and therefore I do not believe the filter is to blame.

Originally Posted By: buck91
Seemed very thin when filling up, too...

That's the dead give away right there. It seemed too thin because it probably is too thin.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back