stretch to fit drive belts

Status
Not open for further replies.
Who in the heck desinged these? I had to change the belts on a ford edge today and the inner belt is stretch to fit.....even the special tool we had for these belts wouldnt take it off.........stretch to fit.......not one of the smarter ideas Imo.

You're not supposed to use the tool to remove the belt. The only way to remove the belt is to cut it off. They're one-time use only. The tool is only used to install the belt. And the reason automakers use them is because they can use a machine to install them at the factory, instead of hiring a person to manually install a belt.

Ford
13.gif

Exranger06 the tool he had is a removal and assembly tool. The problem we had was the bolt on the timing cover was in our way the tool would get caught on it. I mentioned cutting it off amd he said we could but the tool wouldnt be able to get the new one on because of the bolt causing a clearance issue....... stupid design for sure.

Originally Posted By: ram_man
Exranger06 the tool he had is a removal and assembly tool. The problem we had was the bolt on the timing cover was in our way the tool would get caught on it. I mentioned cutting it off amd he said we could but the tool wouldnt be able to get the new one on because of the bolt causing a clearance issue....... stupid design for sure.

Perhaps you should have consulted the factory service manual and considered using the correct SST?

The design is actually better because you have fewer moving parts. The stretch-fit belts eliminated the need for a tensioner.

The design is far from better .....making a vehicle more difficult to service and requiring special tools to do a job like that isn't better. Except for Ford it's great for them.

My Mazda 3 has a stretch to fit belt for the AC compressor. At first I thought it was a "stupid" design as well, but then it dawned on me that, at least the way Mazda did it, was actually good. This way if the compressor failed during engine operation, the chances of the main belt getting damaged are severely reduced.
It also allows me to easily isolate the compressor in case of a failing bearing, or other AC problems.
And the special tool I had to use to install mine was a zip tie.
wink.gif

As with any design, this solution has it's pluses and minuses.

40 years ago, the belt on Dad's Humber Super Snipe failed, and Mum used her pantyhose...skipped the generator, and only drove the water pump.

The stretch on those nylons was pretty impressive.

Originally Posted By: Eddie
Exactly what is a "stretch to fit" belt? Never heard of one before. Ed

It's an accessory belt that installs on the engine with no tensioner. To install, you use a special tool to stretch the belt over the pulleys.

I think it's a pretty lame idea myself. It would not exactly prevent me from buying a car, but it would be a sizable detractor.

I like the thought of eliminating a tensioner.
Belts last a pretty darn long time in my vehicles.

Lifetime belts and timing chains would be pretty nice...

Originally Posted By: zzyzzx
I would also tend to avoid such a car. Comes across like some serious planned obsolesce since the belts can't be reused.

When was the last time you junked a car over a bad accessory belt? Just because you can't reuse the old one doesn't mean you can't pick up a new one at the parts store for $20. And it has nothing to do with planned obsolescence. It just keeps manufacturing costs down.

I like the idea, at least in principle.

I've had to replace belts and tensioners on many higher mileage cars I've owned. At least this way, I'm only replacing the belt, and not a tensioner (usually cost about the same as two standard drive belts) as well.

Although, if it's a one-time use belt (you have to cut it off?), and it's time to work on something else in the belt drive...there goes half the savings.

My focus has one of these as well. It has 2 belts. One for the alternator/water pump, this one is small/narrow and has a tensioner on it.

Then there is another one, one of these "stretchy" belts used to drive the A/C compressor.

I wonder though if the belts are really going to be pretty much lifetime items now? Like rad hoses?
The fan belt on the Tracker went for 11 years and 150k miles and was only replaced when the thermo fan clutch failed. Granted most of the time it wasn't really transferring any hp, but it did spin at engine rpm the whole time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back