best oil for 98 saturn

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just recently bought a 98 Saturn with a 1.9 dohc, it uses about a qt every 1000 miles what would be the best oil to reduce consumption? high mileage oil or diesel oil?

I use pennzoil hm and nextgen hm. In the summer i use 10w 30 or 10w 40. Its going to use oil no matter what, so its whats on sale. some use 5w 40 rotella t-6. I stock up on sales, i have a lot of nextgen hm in 5w 30 and 10 w 30 that i got for $1 a quart for my sons saturn.My low mileage saturn is not using oil so it gets pennzoil ultra.

Last edited:
I would use Valvoline Maxlife 5w30 or 10w30. Use it for more than 1 oil change, it can take some time to work.

Try Pennzoil High Mileage, It helped me on my 98 Toyota with almost the same amount of oil consumption you are dealing with. I now add 3/4 of a quart at the 3,000 mile mark. I run 4,000 mile oil change intervals. It took about 8,000 miles/ 2 oil changes for me to notice the results. I'm sure other high mileage oils will probably do the same as well.

The Saturn's problem is stuck rings.
No oil will fix this.
Thicker oil might slow consumption.
You know when you see all that 10W-40 and 20W-50 on clearance and wonder what it's for?
Now you know.

Originally Posted By: jfug97
I guess I will go with high mileage oil< jut need to decide which one?

The only thing that will matter is price, buy the least expensive. If you find a sale stock up.

Pennzoil LL 15w40

It won't burn (noticeably) less, but it will run better on what it burns.

I've had oil burning saturns, and the thin stuff mixes with fuel when you take off from a stop and triggers knock retard. Diesel 15w40 doesn't do this as badly.

I've been running 10w30 Valvoline Maxlife in mine the past couple changes. It seems to help. The Saturn 1.9 is known to use some oil. Its mostly due to the low tension oil rings they used. 1 qt in 1000 miles is not to bad. If you keep the oil topped off and changed at the proper interval, those engines will run forever. There was a guy on one of the Saturn forums with over 400k on the original engine. He just used regualar dino, changed every 3k.

Rumor had it one of the guys on the forum worked on a Saturn with over 600k, belonged to a mail man.

I know it will use oil, just wanted to try to reduce it a little, seems like most suggest high mileage oil, but I have heard diesel oil works well in these engines.

I had the SOHC in my 2002 SC1 and it didnt burn any oil. It also had 50k miles. I used QSGB and it ran very smooth. Didnt burn. I wouldnt hesitate to use a 15w40 or a 10w30 hm in that engine though. Too bad to hear about all the oil consumption saturns have. I didnt know before I found bitog.

Change the pcv valve to a fixed orfice pcv and try rotella 5w40 or mobil 1 0w40
if the consumption isn't to bad. Those things can help. The oil may take a long while but it will eventually help some.

The oem is better than the aftermarket equivalent but the fixed orfice valve will help more than even the oem.

Originally Posted By: jfug97
I just recently bought a 98 Saturn with a 1.9 dohc, it uses about a qt every 1000 miles what would be the best oil to reduce consumption? high mileage oil or diesel oil?

Its a Saturn, the boneyard is calling. Let it go.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back