ETHANOL mandate cut!

Status
Not open for further replies.
sounds interesting. wonder why the timing is as such ? how would this affect gas prices if any do we think ?

Last edited:
I'm curious to see how many stations start to go ethanol free after this. However, if they start going to 91 octane E0 rather than 93 octane E10 (which a few stations in Rochester already are), I won't be happy, as I'll have to either back off on my tune a bit or add some E85 to the tank every time to get that octane back (which isn't an option in CT, as there's no E85 available within 20 - 30 mins of home). Plus, the Jeep actually runs better on E10 (although it does get slightly worse mpg).

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: matrass
sounds interesting. wonder why the timing is as such ? how would this affect gas prices if any do we think ?

I'm assuming fuel prices will go down (or at least should), since IIRC ethanol is currently more expensive per gallon than gasoline. But don't quote me on that.

Originally Posted By: Klutch9

I'm assuming fuel prices will go down (or at least should), since IIRC ethanol is currently more expensive per gallon than gasoline. But don't quote me on that.

That was my theory also on the price but like you said should and does are two different things . I know people who fish and their outboard motors will like less ethanol in the fuel.

Originally Posted By: Klutch9

That was my theory also on the price but like you said should and does are two different things . I know people who fish and their outboard motors will like less ethanol in the fuel.

not to mention OPE.

That's from November 2013...

Still a VERY good thing.
banana2.gif

I am not holding my breath on gas prices after this news. You can bet your boots there will be some other "reason" or excuse created so the oil boys, banksters and Wall Street speculators can keep prices high. They will not let anything stop their profit machines. I would be very interested on how my truck will run on straight gas though..

Originally Posted By: Kuato
Guess "somebody" finally figured out that Ethanol reduces mpg....

I have been telling people I know about it for years and I always get the confused look in return like.....what the heck are you talking about?

I don't use ethanol blended gas unless i really really have to.

Originally Posted By: michaelluscher
Now this means we are going back to E0 everywhere except CA?

Insert #FDB vine here!

It's not very clear in the article quoted, but it was mentioned in other places. Basically this is just about the blend wall. The mandate passed a while ago would have required the use of more ethanol than could be blended with the existing amount of gas being sold. Since it was passed, people have been using less due to the economy and cars having better fuel mileage. That wasn't accounted for when the original amounts were mandated. So E10 should still be around, but had it not been rolled back, E15 probably would have happened.

Originally Posted By: Jimmy9190
I am not holding my breath on gas prices after this news. You can bet your boots there will be some other "reason" or excuse created so the oil boys, banksters and Wall Street speculators can keep prices high. They will not let anything stop their profit machines. I would be very interested on how my truck will run on straight gas though..

+1

shortly thereafter I predict a rise in the price of corn.

Then we're left with higher fuel consumption (b/c of E85), AND equivalent fuel prices to what we are currently spending.

I don't see any impact.

Oil is in demand world wide and with people in developing countries putting more and more vehicles on the road demand for fuel will increase.

Boils down to supply and demand.

I read in the Wall Street Journal the other day that the ethanol mandate was cut retroactively from something like 6-million gallons to the exact amount actually produced in 2013, which was under a million gallons.

The mandate for 2014 is around 12-million gallons, or close to double what the 2013 mandate was.

In other words, the 2013 retroactive cut was only done so that producers would be in compliance with the law for 2013, not out of any sudden retreat from ethanol mandates.

Originally Posted By: Tegger
I read in the Wall Street Journal the other day that the ethanol mandate was cut retroactively from something like 6-million gallons to the exact amount actually produced in 2013, which was under a million gallons.

The mandate for 2014 is around 12-million gallons, or close to double what the 2013 mandate was.

In other words, the 2013 retroactive cut was only done so that producers would be in compliance with the law for 2013, not out of any sudden retreat from ethanol mandates.

Billions. Not millions. I don't understand how people can make that mistake.

We use 12 million gallons ethanol in one day.

Remember the EPA does not drive this in totality. The energy and security act also drives the ethanol in gas.

There's another thread about dwindling reserves on here. But people are lemmings and will be led by the nose by big oil to our destruction.

I think most people would rather have ethanol in gas than to peddle a bike.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back