0w40 Castrol Edge went in today

Status
Not open for further replies.
I purchased a (Certified Pre-Owned) 2010 Audi A4 2.0T Quattro a couple of weeks ago with 27,000 miles on it. As part of the "Certified Pre-Owned" certification, it supposedly got an oil change. And while the filter looked brand new, the oil itself looked far too black to have been in the engine a month with less than 100 miles on it. So today (after I got back from the dealer having the brake pads replaced--separate post), I got out the Mityvac and did an oil change with a new MANN filter. I was a bit concerned about that spin-on filter sitting on top the engine, but it wasn't the mess I feared. The filter itself does not have an ADBV; it's built into the housing on the engine. As you unscrew the filter, you can here the ADBV release and the oil gurgling back into the crankcase. I waiting until the filter had drained and then finished unscrewing it and no oil was left to get all over the engine.

All in all a simple and easy oil change with no crawling under the car and removing the belly pan.

Originally Posted By: G-MAN
I purchased a (Certified Pre-Owned) 2010 Audi A4 2.0T Quattro a couple of weeks ago with 27,000 miles on it. As part of the "Certified Pre-Owned" certification, it supposedly got an oil change. And while the filter looked brand new, the oil itself looked far too black to have been in the engine a month with less than 100 miles on it. So today (after I got back from the dealer having the brake pads replaced--separate post), I got out the Mityvac and did an oil change with a new MANN filter. I was a bit concerned about that spin-on filter sitting on top the engine, but it wasn't the mess I feared. The filter itself does not have an ADBV; it's built into the housing on the engine. As you unscrew the filter, you can here the ADBV release and the oil gurgling back into the crankcase. I waiting until the filter had drained and then finished unscrewing it and no oil was left to get all over the engine.

All in all a simple and easy oil change with no crawling under the car and removing the belly pan.

First, oil in that engine will very fast turn black.
Second, filter has valve that keeps oil in while filter is in vertical position. If you hold filter in any other angle, it will start to leak.
Oil change on those engines is soooo easy, I do not know why you took it to someone to change it. I learned, that those places could only mess something up.
Also, be nice and do UOA, so we know how good Castrol 0W40 is
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: edyvw

I do not know why you took it to someone to change it.

Are we reading the same post? He said he changed it himself using Mityvac. The previous oil change was done before he bought it.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete

I do not know why you took it to someone to change it.

Are we reading the same post? He said he changed it himself using Mityvac. The previous oil change was done before he bought it.

LOL, my mistake
smile.gif

One more thing. Since it is CPO, I would go and get OEM filters (Air, oil maybe AC). Any issues, VW might start making problems.
Is is 6 speed auto or 8 speed auto, or you got Manual?

Last edited:
My son's Mazda RX8 has the oil filter up top.

It's a little messy with the ADBV built into the filter.

But the filter is very small so there's just a little residual oil to deal with.

The biggest problem with the Mazda is the engine is stuffed way back under the cowl for better weight distribution.

You need a universal joint between a couple of extensions and your cap wrench to get the filter off.

Mine has the ZF 6-speed Tiptronic. I drove a 2014 Allroad with the 8-speed and I much prefer the 6-speed.

Mine has the ZF 6-speed Tiptronic. I drove a 2014 Allroad with the 8-speed and I much prefer the 6-speed.

I am on market for that car, but I love 8-speed ZF. Though, not as aggressive as DSG in my CC, but still shifts very fast.
Is your engine 225hp or 211hp?

We test drove a 2014 A4 with the 8-speed, and came away unimpressed as well, although I wouldn't say it was the fault of the transmission. The entire car's handling just felt rather unengaging and the 2.0T engine wasn't very responsive, at least in comparison to the 328i GT we drove the same day which felt a lot more connected. Alas, I just couldn't get over the looks of it, personally. My wife seemed to have liked it though.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete

We test drove a 2014 A4 with the 8-speed, and came away unimpressed as well, although I wouldn't say it was the fault of the transmission. The entire car's handling just felt rather unengaging and the 2.0T engine wasn't very responsive, at least in comparison to the 328i GT we drove the same day which felt a lot more connected. Alas, I just couldn't get over the looks of it, personally. My wife seemed to have liked it though.

BMW has same transmission, but tuned much better. I drove A4 8speed and 328 8-speed, and 328 feels much stronger, although, both cars have same torque.
What I found surprising is that my CC feels faster then A4, although A4 has much stronger torque, but no DSG though.

Last edited:

I am on market for that car, but I love 8-speed ZF. Though, not as aggressive as DSG in my CC, but still shifts very fast.

211 HP. I don't think Audi ticked up the HP on the 2.0 until model year 2014. Torque, however, is the same: 258 ft/lbs from 1500 rpm to 4500 rpm. And that's what counts. With that much torque down low and a flat torque curve, this thing will really throw you back in the seat when you put your foot in it.

Quote:
What I found surprising is that my CC feels faster then A4, although A4 has much stronger torque, but no DSG though.

The A4 you drove, was it quattro? If so, that in itself will have additional drivetrain losses. The A4 is also heavier than your CC.

211 HP. I don't think Audi ticked up the HP on the 2.0 until model year 2014. Torque, however, is the same: 258 ft/lbs from 1500 rpm to 4500 rpm. And that's what counts. With that much torque down low and a flat torque curve, this thing will really throw you back in the seat when you put your foot in it.

Well yeah, I know.
Reason I am asking is that 225 is older engine. It dilutes oil much more then 211hp version. 211hp is basically what is in my CC (though CC has torque 207, but with DSG it feels like 300 lol), TSI, although it kept in Audi same TSFI name as older version.

Originally Posted By: Volvohead
Congratulations on the new ride.

Did you move on from the Chrysler?

Yes, I got tired of the 300. This Audi will make the first non-Chrysler vehicle I've had as my main ride in a dozen years. (And I'm lovin' this A4 so much I haven't even looked back.)

Mine has the ZF 6-speed Tiptronic. I drove a 2014 smallroad with the 8-speed and I much prefer the 6-speed.

Fixed that for you! A real allroad would be on the C7 chassis, not the B8. The C7 allroad is a ROW market only.
frown.gif

Congrats on the new to you car. I still love my old A6 just as much as the day I bought it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back