Single Stack 9mm for Concealed Carry

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know its not single stack, but while you're in the gun shop check out the SCCY CPX 2, dbl stack and 11 rounds counting the one in the tube.

SF0059, where did you find a PF-9 and what was the price? They're difficult to find around here. I'm glad you got a chance to try it. Above all else, you have to find one with the right fit.

I feel you on the Ruger. My folks BRIEFLY owned an LC9 and, quite frankly, thought it was horrible. Dad even put a trigger kit in it but it was still way too long/heavy. I'm generally a fan of Ruger (my first pistol was a Ruger 22), but the LC9 and I don't get along either.

Originally Posted By: jcwit
I know its not single stack, but while you're in the gun shop check out the SCCY CPX 2, dbl stack and 11 rounds counting the one in the tube.

I have the first variant, the CPX-1, and it fits in the pocket well for a double stack 9.

The Sig P250 subcompact is also a double stack that carries well in the pocket.

I wear suits, so generally have pretty roomy pockets.

I should have added here they sell for $239.00. Just bought the 2nd one today.

First one was all black with the black slide. The new one has the satin finish Stainless Steel slide.

I now have one for dress & one for casual wear.

The shield is good but you might want to consider a Kahr CM9 or a Beretta Nano. They are both smaller and more concealable. The Shield is a little larger but will work well IWB if that's what you're looking for.

I'd recommend the Zastava M88A Tokarev in 9mm (9x19). It's a lesser-known piece, but still being made at a fair price.

The M88 Tokarev does not have the most snag free sights on it, plus you would have to carry it cocked and locked, and the slide mounted safety would make it not very quick to disengage compared to a frame mounted one. They are super inexpensive though.

Last edited:
I carry an LC9 when I don't carry a G30SF.

It has a manual safety, ala 1911, which I also have. It isn't a problem for me, and I like that in a small gun that will be in tight spots.

I removed the magazine interlock. The trigger is heavy, but it's no worse than a revolver and I can shoot it well.

The only problem it has is with sweat. It appears to like to rust. You have to keep it oiled and dried out after a hot day in the yard doing sweaty work. The blueing is pretty lame in that respect.

I'm going to get a J-frame this year, I think. Alloy frame. That should be less worrisome.

Originally Posted By: Mr_Incredible
I carry an LC9 when I don't carry a G30SF.

It has a manual safety, ala 1911, which I also have. It isn't a problem for me, and I like that in a small gun that will be in tight spots.

I removed the magazine interlock. The trigger is heavy, but it's no worse than a revolver and I can shoot it well.

The only problem it has is with sweat. It appears to like to rust. You have to keep it oiled and dried out after a hot day in the yard doing sweaty work. The blueing is pretty lame in that respect.

I'm going to get a J-frame this year, I think. Alloy frame. That should be less worrisome.

Sounds like a good candidate for Gun Kote/ Dura Coat or getting the slide hard chromed.

Just a heads up, my glock 19 has been with me for seven years.

In the winter I shoulder carry, the rest of the time...waist clipped.

Very thin for what it is... and 17+1 with a g17 mag.

Basically, glock needs to finally produce the single stack 9 version of the .380 they have promised.

Then I think every major manufacturer will have one out and people can have their pick of the litter.

I suggest looking at Boberg Arms. Check out their web site and forum. You can talk to the owner/designer. Their "shorty" is a pocket sized 7+1 9mm. They are just starting deliveries on a .45 version.

Much reduced felt recoil. Eats +P. It is pricey. Tritium sights option.

What's the fascination with the odd ball guns for carry? If I'm using a gun every day, I'd want something that I could find parts and accessories easily for.

How much have you shot it? I've looked at the CPX-2 before, but not with too much seriousness. But the more I look at it, the more I like it.

It says the trigger is 9 pounds, double action only. That sounds slightly heavy; my Kel-Tec has a 6 pound trigger. Is it still pretty easy to stay on target with that heavier trigger? And is it a true double action only, with second strike capability? My Kel-Tec is "double action", meaning that it does pull the hammer back and release it with the trigger pull, but the slide half-cocks the hammer, and the trigger can only pull the hammer back from that half-cocked position. If a round doesn't fire, you cannot strike a second time because the slide wouldn't have cycled.

Thanks.

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd

How much have you shot it? I've looked at the CPX-2 before, but not with too much seriousness. But the more I look at it, the more I like it.

It says the trigger is 9 pounds, double action only. That sounds slightly heavy; my Kel-Tec has a 6 pound trigger. Is it still pretty easy to stay on target with that heavier trigger? And is it a true double action only, with second strike capability? My Kel-Tec is "double action", meaning that it does pull the hammer back and release it with the trigger pull, but the slide half-cocks the hammer, and the trigger can only pull the hammer back from that half-cocked position. If a round doesn't fire, you cannot strike a second time because the slide wouldn't have cycled.

Thanks.

At present I have over 400 rounds thru my SCCY.

Thanks. Any other subjective feedback? Comments on fit-and-finish? Do you like the trigger? Easy to stay on target? Does it carry well in holsters you can buy OTS for other similarly-sized guns? I appreciate your thoughts on it.

If you're looking at the double-stack magazine SCCY CPX2, you might also want to look at the Kel-Tec P11. Kel-Tec's original model, you can now get 12 round flush fit magazines for them, and I would expect quality/reliability/accuracy to be at least the equal of the SCCY.
(Probably better- there, I said it. Seems to be very fashionable to bash the Kel Tecs these days, especially by those who have no experience with them. I say Horse Hockey on that. Virtually all the lower cost options out there may need a little "fluff & buff" &/or break-in. The P11 has been made for almost 20 yrs now.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back