Time for the annual dog barking talk with neighbor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: antiqueshell
Originally Posted By: Jarlaxle
Honestly...those air horns could cross the line of actually being CRIMINAL.

Personally, I'd probably have just taken a sledgehammer to them, or just filled them with spray foam. Actually...if they were on my side of the fence, I would have simply TAKEN them!

Except if the offending neighbor trespassed onto his property to remove or damage them he could have been shot legally.

That is one of the best things about Florida, the stand your ground laws and right to protection of private property are extremely solid.

Same for this state where I now live (SC) if you are trespassing on private property you can be shot and the justice system here will have the Judge simply saying, you violated the law and got what was coming to you. The property owner will have NO issues at all, most of the Sheriff's in this state will applaud you too for protecting yourself from harm and property loss. They encourage self protection of persons and property.

Frankly if an offender is terminated it saves others from being victims and of course it saves the state the cost of trying them and housing them in prison.

+1

Originally Posted By: FXjohn
what would you have done if they had just blasted them with a 12 gauge, or taped it and called the police?

Too close for shotgun action. Small lots. Had they called the police, I would have taken my lumps, accepted the citation and the next time the dog was out, the horns would be blaring again. I had plenty of video of the barking dog. A court case would have been in my favor.

However, the police were at their house regularly. I'm sure they felt the police were not going to be on their side. It was worth the risk.

Originally Posted By: Jarlaxle
Honestly...those air horns could cross the line of actually being CRIMINAL.

Personally, I'd probably have just taken a sledgehammer to them, or just filled them with spray foam. Actually...if they were on my side of the fence, I would have simply TAKEN them!

I'd guess you would not likely leave your large dog outside in a tiny backyard, for days on end. With just a large bowl of food and the pool to drink from. That's cruel to such a social animal. Knowing the dog is ticking off the neighbors to no end.

Interestingly, they were over the fence, but still on my property, but behind a large bougainvillea (a very thorny bushy monster of a plant) There was no way they were able to easily access the air horns. Especially at 3AM.

Today, we have the technology to make a sound activated, high pitch, barker-breaker.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Cujet
Originally Posted By: FXjohn
what would you have done if they had just blasted them with a 12 gauge, or taped it and called the police?

Too close for shotgun action. Small lots. Had they called the police, I would have taken my lumps, accepted the citation and the next time the dog was out, the horns would be blaring again. I had plenty of video of the barking dog. A court case would have been in my favor.

However, the police were at their house regularly. I'm sure they felt the police were not going to be on their side. It was worth the risk.

there's no such thing as too close for shotgun action. just use birdshot

Having to wear earplugs to sleep in your own home? That's unacceptable. Period. Try this approach, especially if he's married.....tell him that your wife is having a hard time sleeping because of the barking dog...and she's getting upset about it and telling me to do something about it, so here I am. See if that doesn't help the problem. If not, start calling the police and/or remind them of the township agreement.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back