New car advice- 14 Maxima

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys new to this forum but from browsing looks like a great community. Anyway I recently bought a 2014 Nissan maxima and im coming up on about 3500 miles so im starting to think what i want to use for my first oil change. I drive maybe 10 miles a day with some occasional road trips (300-600 miles) and some times im pretty hard on it and speed a bit lol. Im coming from a 2009 civic SI which i used mobil 1 with every oil change no problems at all but i was considering trying the Ultra Platinum Full synthetic, any recommendations?! Thank you in advance for any help!

Is there still the 3750 mile severe service OCIs? And, are you on severe service? Is it calling for 0w-20 or 5w-30? Those questions are important when it comes to answering your question.

If it were me, and it were allowing 5w-30, I'd stick with conventional - be it Pennzoil, Quaker State, Valvoline, Mobil, Castrol, or whatever you prefer - over severe service intervals, at least at the outset.

I'd use a quality synthetic if it was my 30k+ car. With a sale, the price is of very little difference between a Conv/blend or synthetic. Napa has on sale their synthetic oil for $3.49 which is reputed to be Valvoline. (Which would be just fine for a short OCI.) Safe and enjoyable miles in the new car!

If it's like my 2012 Nissan Pathfinder severe serv is 3,750 and non sev is 7,500 I am doing 6,000 on Shell Full Synthetic 5w30. You can get Shell synthetic at BJ's warehouse or I think Costco and it's cheep on sale. It's also a real fine oil.

Now have chosen your oil filter?? Just wait till you see that little push mower oil filter Nissan recommends! I'm sure it's fine but I'm not a fan of little oil filters.

It isn't so much a matter of what you should use as it is what you want to use.
You live in a state that never sees real cold and sees no more extreme summer heat than most of the American midwest, so your choice of oils isn't bounded by ambient temperatures.
You could certainly use Ultra or Plat and either would work well for you.
You've had good experience with M1 and it would be a good choice as well.
What OCIs do you plan on?
If you'll do short drains, a conventional oil would be far more cost-effective and won't hurt the life of your engine at all.
Use any API SN oil in the recommended grade that meets your fancy.
Any one of them will work well.
Some are just less expensive than others and the more expensive ones might keep your engine cleaner, but they won't make it last any longer.
The rest of the car might be a bit tattered after a couple of hundred thousand miles of use, but the engine will still likely be fine regardless of the oil you decide to use.
Welcome to BITOG and I hope you enjoy your new ride.

Originally Posted By: Camprunner
Now have chosen your oil filter?? Just wait till you see that little push mower oil filter Nissan recommends! I'm sure it's fine but I'm not a fan of little oil filters.

It certainly works fine, Nissan has been using them on their other V6 engines since the 1990s. What would really disturb you is that their DOHC V8 engine in the Armada and Titan has the same filter.

Anyway, the filter would either be a Purolator 14610 or 14612 equivalent. There is a filter subforum, and I recommend you read it.

The Pennzoil Ultra Platinum is certainly a top of the line oil. Any Full Synthetic will work great. How long will your OCIs be? Using the Ultra Platinum, you might just have to change it once a year.

From your brief description, you probably don't fall into the severe service catagory especially in Florida, so your OCI would be 7500 miles. I say go for the Ultra Platinum in 5W-30 and use the Shell fuel network rewards and also register your car for the Pennzoil warranty for a $20 rebate. After $20 of free gas and the oil rebate, they'll be paying you to take their oil.

Thank you for everyones input/advice I really appreciate it. My normal OCI i have used in the past ranged between 3000-5000 miles so id like to stick to that.

I drive a 2013 Altima V6, same engine as your's just detuned 20HP.

I run 6-7K OCIs using Pennzoil Plat 5W-30 with Mobil 1 filters. No problems since my first oil change at 3750, and my Blackstone analysis recommended 7K in my case.

Give it a go!

Originally Posted By: 14GmMax
Thank you for everyones input/advice I really appreciate it. My normal OCI i have used in the past ranged between 3000-5000 miles so id like to stick to that.

My 2007 M35 of course is older, but the engine is much the same. I have followed 5K intervals using 5w-30 synthetic blends, either Kendall or Quaker State. Inside my oil fill is as clean as a whistle. 4K intervals for you would be perfect.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back