Saab 9-3 2.8 V6 Turbo - Mobil 1 0w-40 - 4,990 mile

Status
Not open for further replies.
2008 Saab 9-3 2.8L V6 Turbo

Mobil 1 0w-40

Miles on Oil - 4,990
Miles on Engine - 80,169

On the second run of Mobil 1 0w-40 since I got the car, numbers seemed to improve slightly more (they were never bad). With ONE exception that concerns me. Potassium at 5 PPM. How worried should I be?

Aluminum - 2
Chromium - 0
Iron - 11
Copper - 4
Lead - 0
Tin - 0
Molybdenum - 77
Nickel - 0
Manganese - 1
Silver - 0
Titanium - 0
Potassium - 5
Boron - 140
Silicon - 8
Sodium - 7
Calcium - 2842
Magnesium - 19
Phosphorus - 828
Zinc - 949
Barium - 0

SUS @ 210 F - 66.2
CSTt @ 100 C - 11.95
Flashpoint in F - 390
Fuel - Antifreeze - 0
Water - 0
Insolubles - 0.1

Viscosity did a bit better this time, last time it was down at 10.79 at 100 C cSt. However, this time the miles were all in cooler winter months, so we shall see how it does after a summer.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Looks fine to me. I wouldn't worry about potassium unless it keeps increasing over time.

Thanks Pete. Two analysis ago it was 2, and the last one it was only 1. Now the 5. Of course, I know what you mean, from this point keep an eye on it for a trend.

I fear it's very telling though. I'll go read a few dozen other reports on here from other cars and look for potassium numbers. Maybe it could be in winter gas or something.

Last edited:
Are these engines known for head gasket leaks? Sorry, I know nothing about them...

I'm not certain, but I do not think I've come across that much if any. The loss of coolant tends to come from hoses and the overflow tank outside the engine. The engine compartment gets MASSIVELY hot. Insane heat, and it ruins odd things like entire reservoirs, caps, washer jets, plastic on battery cover, etc. They typically have the coolant reservoir last 2 years top. Oh, and batteries last about 18 months if you're lucky. ha.

However, it's a fun engine otherwise. ha. It's really a GM high feature V6 with the Turbo and a few slight modifications. Engine built in Melbourne, Australia.

I do lose a very small amount of coolant, but I always assumed it was on some hose I can't see or something as I think if you were losing a visually noticeable amount into the engine it would be more than 5 PPM Potassium? Of course, now I'm not so sure.

Last edited:
Are these engines known for head gasket leaks? Sorry, I know nothing about them...

It is OPEL engine, and yes, they can have problems with head gaskets.
I would agree with OP, Opel engine compartments get really, really hot. I had 4 Opel's in my life, from 1.4ltr to 2.0 Turbo, and all had issue with head gasket and ungodly hot.
One of the ways to solve battery issue is to put stronger battery. I solved that issue that way.

From looking through a few dozen reports, 5 PPM even up to 7 or 8 PPM seems fairly common in reports on here, say 25 percent of the time or more, so I'm not too worried for now. I will just keep an eye out for the next report (always a reason to buy another analysis isn't there)? ha.

Thanks again for all the feedback so quickly!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Ayrton
The loss of coolant tends to come from hoses and the overflow tank outside the engine.

Is it possible some of this is getting sucked in through the air intake into the engine? Maybe that would account for those small potassium readings on your UOA?

Originally Posted By: Ayrton
From looking through a few dozen reports, 5 PPM even up to 7 or 8 PPM seems fairly common in reports on here, say 25 percent of the time or more, so I'm not too worried for now. I will just keep an eye out for the next report (always a reason to buy another analysis isn't there)? ha.

Hey I made mistake, but cannot edit my post anymore. It is not head gasket, it is valve cover gasket that Opel's had issue with.
Though, head gasket due to high temp are at danger if something is not in balance (amount of oil, coolant).

Originally Posted By: edyvw

Hey I made mistake, but cannot edit my post anymore. It is not head gasket, it is valve cover gasket that Opel's had issue with.
Though, head gasket due to high temp are at danger if something is not in balance (amount of oil, coolant).

No worries, no real mistake. I think I have read of the 2.0 having indeed had the head gasket go out, and like you say anything is possible with this heat.

Pete - I guess that would be possible though the reservoir is opposite side of intake, reservoir is near the firewall. Also very common for the lines going to turbo to leak slightest amount and then it evaporates instantly so zero mess. My loss of coolant is extremely small so I'm not worried yet.

Still, with 5 PPM Potassium I will keep an eye out for the next analysis. Thanks again.

Overall, besides the potassium my UOAs have been consistent despite an increase in mileage each time and some wear items have went down, viscosity has remained a bit thicker, etc. I feel it's a great oil choice (many years this was factory recommended oil), and I almost see the evidence of sticking with the same product over several OCIs having some benefit. The previous owner may have went as long as 14,000 on a couple OCIs (likely on M1 5w30), but the engine from a driving and report perspective seems to be in decent shape (my fingers are crossed haha).

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back