2001 chev Denali awd with a 6.0 and 120k miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys

Anyone know much about these trucks. A guy wants to trade me for a mustang I've got in pieces and will likely never get back together. I figured its a great tow rig/winter beater for my old lady.
I've got a 99 silverado with a 5.3 that I can canibalize parts from if needed should anything come up,and I've still got my 99 silverado z-71 in the driveway.
So I'm unfamiliar with the awd system they use. I'm very familiar with the 4wd system though.
And what about the 6.0. Is that vintage engine any good. I think it's got the tow package too.
Any experienced info would be great please. I know steveSRT has a lot of experience with these engines in his service trucks. Maybe he'll see this thread.

Thanks guys. Oh. And it's gonna be my tow rig so of course what oil shoud I run. I'm gonna have a surplus of m1 0w-40 thanks to my man Rikstaker,and I've still got 12 jugs of ultra 5w-20,so a mix would give me a 30 grade should we decide that's best for pulling my trailer.
Trailer is roughly 4000 pounds plus kids and gear.

Thanks gents.

My good friend had one, at about 100 000 k everything started to go on it, a lot of random things, many electronics, including electronics that had to do with transmission and awd/4wd system. As well a lot of rust under trim, and frame. Just look over it carefully, and make sure electronics are all up to par.

Originally Posted By: domer10
My good friend had one, at about 100 000 k everything started to go on it, a lot of random things, many electronics, including electronics that had to do with transmission and awd/4wd system. As well a lot of rust under trim, and frame. Just look over it carefully, and make sure electronics are all up to par.

Really.
Now that's interesting. I've got 270k on my 99 and I've had nothing go wrong except a front wheel bearing and the fuel pump.
Other than that I cammed the engine and dyno tune.
I'll keep that in mind. Thanks Domer

I replaced the wheel bearings a few times and front end suspension. Just normal wear and tear mine won't die. Also tuned and full bolt on performance parts.

No problems that a can of MMO can't fix.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: satinsilver
No problems that a can of MMO can't fix.
smile.gif

Ha

Awesome.
So the truck has no check engine lights,and pulls like a freight train. A bit nervous about the awd but I haven't read about any serious issues at the mileage I'm getting it at.

Whatever oil you feel like. I have a 2002 6.0 and 2000 LS1/5.7, both LS based, like the Denali.

I run plain ole Mobil 1 10W-30 in both of them. No issues.

Refresh my memory, iron block or aluminum block?

If you are towing, might want to put a little bigger cooler in there.

The AWD should be fine have not heard much bad about that system.

Ya not sure if he got a lemon or what but always something going on with it after 100 k, mind you he just did bare bones maint.......not beat, but wasn't meticulous like i am. take a good look underneath and around rocker and trims, friend has a blazer of same year and same deal with the rust, under carriage and trim rotting out. Although ontario uses a lot of salt and such not sure about out there. I wash my vehicles once a week, at a wash where u get undercarriage sprayed.....barely a ;lick of rust.

Ya not sure if he got a lemon or what but always something going on with it after 100 k, mind you he just did bare bones maint.......not beat, but wasn't meticulous like i am. take a good look underneath and around rocker and trims, friend has a blazer of same year and same deal with the rust, under carriage and trim rotting out. Although ontario uses a lot of salt and such not sure about out there. I wash my vehicles once a week, at a wash where u get undercarriage sprayed.....barely a ;lick of rust.

With these trucks it seems you either get a good one or a bad one. I have two friends with GM trucks. One has constant problems with his. After 100k it has been nothing but electrical nightmares. The engine and trans are fine, but the electrical is always giving him issues. My other friend has an almost identical truck but a year older (2004). That one has more miles and absolutely no problems.
21.gif

I'd make sure it was maintained. The 6.0 V8 is a solid engine, and the 4L80 transmission is pretty strong. I don't know much about that transfer case though, and you might want to research if it has the same pump housing problem as the other trucks. Its not hard to fix, just time consuming to take it all apart.

I think it may have a 4L65E. As I believe the Denali with 6 bolt rims, half ton, had the 6.0 mated to the 4L65E staring in 2001.
You needed a 1500HD or 2500 and up to get a 4L80E

Nice truck, and usually very reliable.

We have zero AWD experience as we don't need one, but the rest of that truck is rock solid.

The trans is not an issue as a 4L65E is a 'factory built' 4L60E on steroids. They are tough. The 4L80E has been virtually unbreakable here, dozens run to the ground with the WORST one failing at 185k miles or so.

You know the drill: change everything, then enjoy!

Originally Posted By: jeepman3071

With these trucks it seems you either get a good one or a bad one. I have two friends with GM trucks. One has constant problems with his. After 100k it has been nothing but electrical nightmares. The engine and trans are fine, but the electrical is always giving him issues. My other friend has an almost identical truck but a year older (2004). That one has more miles and absolutely no problems.
21.gif

I'd make sure it was maintained. The 6.0 V8 is a solid engine, and the 4L80 transmission is pretty strong. I don't know much about that transfer case though, and you might want to research if it has the same pump housing problem as the other trucks. Its not hard to fix, just time consuming to take it all apart.

Agreed, Its like one out of 10, and its a gremlin lol.

Right on. I feel a whole lot more comfortable now.

I have a 99 parts truck. It's got a 5.3 engine,z71. Does that truck have the same tranny as the 6.0 or are they different.
And just how different are they. As in if I'm in a pinch can I swap out the 2001 tranny and use the one from the 99.

Thank you.

It should work because the difference, at least the way I understand it is, is mechanical. Bell housing bolt pattern is the same.

I believe it is just a viscous center diff, that locks up on slip. If so it is purely mechanical in nature and not really any electronics to fool with. If it is similar to what I had on my Envoy hopefully it works better than mine.

Can you tell if it is binding on dry pavement when you do a sharp low speed turn.

Edit:

It might be a planetary diff instead so no viscous fluid to lock up, power is just split 60/40 all the time. Open front diff and look for G80 on the sticker to see if it has a limited slip rear diff.

Last edited:
When I lock up my 99 into 4wd turning is definitely affected. This truck isn't affected at all when I turn.
It's great in the mud. Our site is a slough and it gets through just as well as my brothers and dads hemi's do when they are locked up in 4x4.
I had all 4 wheels spinning pulling out a brickie that went off the side of hard pack road.
So it definitely floats in and out of 4wd when the rear tires break loose.
Now whether it's in an unlocked position while driving and sending power to both the front and rear all the time,with just the diffs unlocked I cannot say for sure,yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back