XOM recommends M1 EP for turbo engines?

Status
Not open for further replies.
No, because nowhere in that video did Mobil imply that M1 EP is recommended for turbo engines.

Originally Posted By: Blokey
No, because nowhere in that video did Mobil imply that M1 EP is recommended for turbo engines.

Agreed. The title involved EP, but the video didn't mention EP, a viscosity, or anything else except the brand name "Mobil 1".

Originally Posted By: Swift101
So there would be 0 benefit using EP since my OCI would just be 5K?

Possibly. IIRC, the primary difference between the two is the EP having a more robust additive package that holds up longer. A motor oil is always the sum of its parts. While EP touts itself as a 15k oil, a turbo is a more stressful environment and tends to breakdown an oil more quickly. So if regular M1 is somehow getting beat up too quickly for your tastes, the more robust additives in the EP might add a little more OCI before breakdown.

The only way to be sure is to run some UOAs. But for street use, unless this is a seriously modified engine, I'd be surprised if regular M1 completely fell apart in 5k.

The honest truth is, as long as it meets the viscosity and approvals/certifications recommended by the engine manufacturer, and you are not subjecting it to unintended applications (tracking, etc.) you can run ANY oil in any given engine, right down to the cheapest no-name conventional. The issue is for HOW LONG, with increasingly better oils allowing increasingly longer effective service before they start to deplete and breakdown. But obviously, you don't want to be changing cheap oil every couple thousand miles.

If this is for the Hyundai in your sig, the manufacturer's preferred choice is 5w-40, with 5w-30 only if 5w-40 is unavailable. Not a lot of manufacturers in NA currently recommend a 40, which suggests that this is an engine that requires a more robust oil than most.

If 5w-40 is off the table, have you considered M1 0w-40, which is a more robust formula than either 5w-30 variety, and is a light 40.

Originally Posted By: kschachn
Explain why in terms of performance it matters.

Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
Is EP even synthetic or technosynthese?
Not talking specific to this product, but rather flat out pandering to the industry by NAD erroneous and, possibly, criminal board decision. It's also a matter of flat out lying to your customer base with performace consequences. I have a solid gold watch I'll sell you for $5000.00 though its just gold plated.
Realistically, We need a higher performance category to be established for ILSAC GF PCMO lubricants.

"Synthetic" is meaningless.

Last edited:
Oh OK, when you specifically asked about the specific brand being discussed, I thought you were being specific. My bad.

Originally Posted By: kschachn
Explain why in terms of performance it matters.

Is EP even synthetic or technosynthese?
Not talking specific to this product, but rather flat out pandering to the industry by NAD erroneous and, possibly, criminal board decision. It's also a matter of flat out lying to your customer base with performace consequences. I have a solid gold watch I'll sell you for $5000.00 though its just gold plated.
Realistically, We need a higher performance category to be established for ILSAC GF PCMO lubricants.

M1 5W-30 EP probably does have some benefit over regular M1 in a high temperature, turbo-charged application. This is based on Mobil's own bottles. On the comparison chart on M1 bottles, in the section of high temperature protection the number of check marks indicating relative performance are different. Regular M1 has two check marks, M1 EP has three check marks. M1 high mileage and fuel efficient oils have three marks as well.

When conducting a search for my specific vehicle with the M1 oil search tool, they recommend everything from MS5K (premium protection) to M1 EP (Ultimate protection). Santa Fe Turbo 2.0T

The higher end products at least have ACEA specifications.

Originally Posted By: njohnson
M1 5W-30 EP probably does have some benefit over regular M1 in a high temperature, turbo-charged application. This is based on Mobil's own bottles. On the comparison chart on M1 bottles, in the section of high temperature protection the number of check marks indicating relative performance are different. Regular M1 has two check marks, M1 EP has three check marks. M1 high mileage and fuel efficient oils have three marks as well.

That is a pretty rigorous way of analyzing the relative merits of these oil!
I wonder whether M1 EP might offer higher TBN and better TBN retention along with probably better detergency, since the same adds can be used for both, at the expense of greater wear per thousand miles run?
I understand that the difference would be so small as to be insigificant.
I just wonder if it's measurable.

Well besides the 15,000 mile guarantee, those check marks on the back of the bottle are about all you got. It would be nice if ExxonMobil gave more details of the differences between the products but they don't.

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
Originally Posted By: njohnson
That is a pretty rigorous way of analyzing the relative merits of these oil!
I wonder whether M1 EP might offer higher TBN and better TBN retention along with probably better detergency, since the same adds can be used for both, at the expense of greater wear per thousand miles run?
I understand that the difference would be so small as to be insigificant.
I just wonder if it's measurable.

Some have speculated that with EP you are effectively buying additional warranty. Some of the products do look very close on paper with just a tenth tweaked here or there. I have no idea though.

I use 0w-40 which comes in only one variety thankfully. If I needed say 5w-30, I would go with Mobil 1 unless I could get EP for the exact same price or pennies more. If there are differences, they are hard to see on paper (but paper doesn't tell everything so they might be very different).

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Swift101
Hey Everyone,

Came across this video on YouTube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qo3kcFuOteU

Is it just a bunch of marketing nonsense? I want to give M1 EP 5W-30 a try sometime in the future, but I'm not sure if it's better than regular M1 for 5K OCIs.

-Thanks

Of course, M1 EP is better than M1. M1 EP has a lot of Group IV PAO and Group V in it -- higher-quality base oil. M1 is mostly Group III.

So, yes, M1 EP is better than M1 for turbo engines, as they demand higher-quality base oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back