'11 Impala - 3.5/4T65-E - Trans issue

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello all,

The GFs Impala is having a trans. issue. Originally the following was happening sometimes when shifting from Reverse to Drive. You would shift into Drive and when accelerating the car would move, but would seem to slip/move slowly then suddenly bang/catch into gear and then drive normally.

As of recent, sometimes when coming to a complete stop, the car will do the same thing -- keep in mind while still in drive, no gear change, just accelerating.

I checked the fluid level and it looks fine, was well within the crosshatch mark. Fluid was allegedly changed when we bought the car with 65k on the clock. We're at 72k and some change. Fluid looks pink but either the ATF brand used was super stinky or I'm smelling a little bit of burnt.

Anyone know of any 'typical' 4T65-E problems that happens with these? I figured I best do a fluid/filter change sooner as to later. I'd be bummed if this trans. was on it's way out. I've had many 4T6XXX trans. go and go and go. Thanks.

Those weren't really known for transmission issues. Your powertrain warranty should cover it though.

Yes, had the same thing happen with my Uplander van an with the same tranny. My research showed I would eventually need a rebuild to correct the issue. Seems to be a common issue. Maybe try shifting into drive first, then reversing out of a spot, just to get the clutches operating, it is a long shot.

There are currently at least 3 different threads detailing problems with the 'reliable' 4T65E transmission.
All seem to be shift related. A replacement trans. will hopefully have the updates/upgrades that sadly GM chose not to do. If you have warranty coverage let them handle it.
I am currently saving money to buy another 4T65E.

I'm one of those guys who is going through 4T65e issues too, although much older and higher mileage. The more I read about them, the less confident I feel about their durability. Mine is 14 years old, so I feel bad if you are having problems in 3 years. Should be under warranty though. I guess this isn't one of GM's bright spots?

Take it to the dealer yesterday. Don't mess with this thing its in 2011 car and may still have warranty.
This one sounds like it has some serious troubles well beyond the usual kit, fluid/filter change service.

The 4T65 works pretty well. Sure you're going to hear about problems- there's TONS of them out there.

Originally Posted By: Tzu
I'm one of those guys who is going through 4T65e issues too, although much older and higher mileage. The more I read about them, the less confident I feel about their durability. Mine is 14 years old, so I feel bad if you are having problems in 3 years. Should be under warranty though. I guess this isn't one of GM's bright spots?

Tzu, I wouldn't be looking at your transmission as the cause of your issues. I know a diagnosis over the internet is tougher than in person, but it sounds engine related. You keep saying that engine cuts out, even in park? A transmission wouldn't be the cause of that.

A good family friend is a tech at a small Chevrolet dealership near me. He's one of two techs in their service department and they're NOT a flat rate shop, hourly.

I'll probably take it to them.

We had the same thing happen on the Uplander in my sig. We had it rebuilt and the problem still existed, then the rebuilder went back in a gave it a higher stall TC and put in a new speed sensor and it hasn't banged since. It usually only did this in the hot summer months, which are yet to come so who knows =/. The bad thing is, this problem would NEVER duplicate when the rebuilder was in the van with us.

Our Impala's issue asside, which could just be something stupid, I have a lot of faith in the 4TXX series GM transmissions.

We have had:

A 4T60-E in a 1994 Buick LeSabre with a L27 3.8 go to a healthy 213k. Still shifted great and drove itself onto the flatbed when distend for the junkyard.

A 4T65-E in a 2000 Chevrolet Mailbu, 3.1 go to 231k.

Currently a 4T65-E in a 1999 Grand Prix with a 3.8 L67, at 176k now.

Thankyou for saying how I thought. I am not a transmission expert nor claim to be, but with the engine sputtering at random times while in park either hot or cold made me think it was not the transmission. The dealer did read a code of P1811 and suggested new trans. for $3,000. No CEL to point to anything else in engine that is possibly the culprit. The more of anything out in the public, the more things you hear go wrong. A lot of 4T65e running around so that makes sense. The odd part is our beater Camry has an Aisin transmission that has never skipped a beat for nearly 300,000 miles. What is it they do differently to make them last? Maybe I just got lucky? I will look into engine systems that could use a cleaning (I thought everything was good now, but...)Thanks for your idea The_Eric.
Originally Posted By: The_Eric
The 4T65 works pretty well. Sure you're going to hear about problems- there's TONS of them out there.

Originally Posted By: Tzu

Tzu, I wouldn't be looking at your transmission as the cause of your issues. I know a diagnosis over the internet is tougher than in person, but it sounds engine related. You keep saying that engine cuts out, even in park? A transmission wouldn't be the cause of that.

I did not take the car to the dealer yet. I couldn't help it... dropped the pan and changed the fluid and filter. It's like a heroin addict needing another fix, especially when it's one of the babies in your stable.

When I looked at the fluid yesterday, it looked OK, didn't look that bad... maybe it was the light I was in. Looked at the fluid again today and I didn't like what I saw. Fluid color was orange-brownish, didn't smell burnt on the stick.

qzwzlBR.jpg

Dropped the pan and man did it stink. Color was definitely that of well used ATF. At this point I'm starting to think the ATF was NOT changed upon purchase.

I had about 4 quarts of Castrol Dex. VI sitting from my Impala (OMG they sat about 2 years!) and bought 5 quarts of NAPA Dex. VI along with a NAPA Trans. Parts carded filter with a cork gasket. I put the carded cork gasket on the nail in the garage. Man I've got to have about four of those now!

Changed the filter and re-used the OE gasket (I love those gaskets, so easy). Put the pan back up and tightened them side to side then torqued them to 110 lb-in. I filled the car up with about 6.5 qts, ran through all of the gears 3x then let it warm up. Checked it probably a bazillion times and the level was spot on. It took about 7.8 quarts. No leaks. While I was at it, I changed the air and cabin air filters with NAPA ProSelect's, sprayed the battery terminals with protectant, topped off the squirts and installed the pink WeatherTech ClearFrames that I bought for her birthday.

Then... I took a hot shower, hot shower, hot shower.

It was about 8:27pm on this cool spring Western New York night, cloud cover and a breezy 48 degrees enticed me to swiftly enter the Impala. The door shut with a thud and the keys jingled as they entered the ignition cylinder. Surely, dash lights lit and the starter cranked... IGNITION. The 3500 roared to life, each cylinder firing in harmony.

I backed out of the driveway and put the transmission in Drive... sweat rolled down my brow as I pressed on the accelerator. The car began to move and accelerate as a car should. Success, I shouted in excitement, but... the best was yet to come. I'll cut the dramatic narrative, I'm tired and bored.

So I backed out of my driveway and put the car into Drive. The transmission did NOT slip or clunk into gear. I pressed on the gas and it accelerated normally. I then went for a drive. I went in a small hamlet a few miles from me and took an extended drive up to the expressway. The car shifted great, I guess I didn't realize how poorly it was shifting. It now shifts 10x better. Each shift is super positive, firm but not hard, incredibly confident AND fast shifts.

I get up to the expressway and enter the on ramp, at this point I'm doing probably 30 MPH and I would assume 3rd gear. I said to myself "Well, we'll do a test and it'll either puke or go". I put the pedal to the floor and the 4T65-E did a 3rd to 1st downshift. The downshift was spot on, no slip, no clunk 100% positive. Went all the way to what looked like 7k and then shifted into 2nd. Same thing, super positive, nice firm shift. I was happy. I drove back home enjoying the transmission and checked the level once again, spot on.

At this point I'm inclined to believe the fluid and filter was the culprit. At the very least it was needed even if my problem still is there (but not showing itself for whichever reason). I guess we'll see how it goes from here, but I'm satisfied. Hope you don't mind my super long post.

Last edited:
I'm not sure if it is the same transmission, but my step mom has a 2010 Pontiac G6 with the 6 speed automatic and it was slipping out of gear and shifting weird when driving downhill, and it has about 57,000 miles. Took it to the dealer and they reprogrammed it with some sort of update to it, shifts great now.

Take it to the dealer, it has a 5 year/100,000 mile power train warranty. What's the worst that could happen? They put a brand new transmission in? Darn, that'd be a shame LOL

That fluid was not changed 7K mi ago.

That looks like factory fill.

Dark color and that "silt" in the pan...seller was full of poo.

Looks like an expected/typical level of accumulation for a 4T trans that has never had a change at those miles. I have done a couple filter changes on ones with a few more miles (120-140K) on likely original fluid, and they looked worse. Usually the "silt" was all over the pan.

On a trans that has had regular changes, all the accumulation will be on the magnet. The pan will be clean, and the fluid will be transparent bright red. This does not look like a maintained transmission to me. I'd bet you are the first one to touch it.

Hopefully you caught it early enough, and I think you can still get good service life out of it. I think it's bad whenever an AT exhibits any abnormal shifting though, or even improved shifting from just a fluid change...that means maintenance was too late.

I made an appointment with the dealer for next Tuesday. Car has been good but I want them to look at it and check for any trans. codes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back