Status
Not open for further replies.

JHZR2

Staff member
A few months old:

23 years old:

Enough said.

When I did the calipers, as some will recall, I had my issues with AAP:

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/3268013/1/Advance_Auto_Parts_Let_Me_Down

But I did think that the calipers were redone and coated with a protective coating that looked decent. Obviously I was way wrong. It looked good enough in the box to make a sale, I guess, with no real care for long-term protection.

Of course, thats why they are like $36. Still, Id expect better corrosion protection. And this is BOTH sides, so its not a fluke.

Last edited:
Yep I hate that, definitely seems to be the thing with the reman stuff.

Maybe it's time to wire wheel them and some BBQ black paint?

Originally Posted By: redhat
Yep I hate that, definitely seems to be the thing with the reman stuff.

Maybe it's time to wire wheel them and some BBQ black paint?

+1

How old is the rear rotor ? It's so rusty, because of salt on the street in winter months ?

My S2000 rear rotors have much less rust after almost 11 years.

meh.. remans get a thorough stripping/cleaning. Easiest thing to do is paint them new or buy a reman that has been coated already.

my .02

When an original part usually goes, I try not to immediately exchange them for the core deposit. If still in serviceable condition, a DIY rebuild using a factory kit is a nice option.
Of course, there are some factors to consider with this route (time, money, tools, skill set, access to FSM or repair manual). Not heeding such factors can essentially lead to an unsafe vehicle.

Like most BITOG members, after OEM replacements, I would prefer replacement parts made in USA over the rest.
Warranties are basically the same (12mo/36K miles), however, I have found that where you buy parts sometimes has made the difference. (For example, buying "house branded" parts from NAPA vs. Autozone vs. O'Reilly).

You people that live in the rust belt, I don't know how you can stand it. I hate corrosion. If I lived back there, I'd be under the car everyday with a wire brush. The constant rust development would drive me bonkers.

The only calipers I have seen that were coated after rebuilding is "King",however they have been applying a thinner and thinner coat as time goes on.The main problem is when a part is rebuilt,its dipped in acid,and it etches the surface.This opens the pores to oxygen and the rust starts quick.You will even be able to find pinhole fissures that open up thanks to that process.

You get what you pay for.
Also, parts quality in general is inferior to what it was when your e30 was built.

Your in Jersey, Winter was nasty and salt was used all winter long! Take them off, scuff em up and shoot them with some caliper paint, no big deal. You paid $36 for them where the OEM's would've been $2-300 each! I think a rattle can quicky would more than make up additional cost of OEM calipers to me.

I'm starting to repaint new cheap metal stuff these days. Stuff from China for sure, but even my new US made trailer hitch needed bunch areas repaired where the paint was peeling from poor attachment to the metal...

If the finish lasted only that long, how long will other components of this rebuild last? for example, how long until the rubber bellows covering the pins oxidize and crack?

I'd paint things like calipers if I knew the metal didn't have some sort of cosmolene or other oil based preservative. Kind of a catch-22. I guess I could hit them with simple green or brake cleaner or even gasoline, let dry, then paint.

I guess I'm overly optimistic that "this new part is better made than part X which I had before." Or I don't want to violate it and invalidate its warranty.

BTW, Advance finagled me a rebuilt caliper for my firebird for eight bucks. That was worth it to not re-tap that busted bleeder.
01.gif
I put it on last fall, should go photograph how rusty it is.

When they tank and blast these things it strips whatever coating or treatment was applied originally.
There are still a few (very few) remanufacturers that reapply these coatings, you see some NAPA calipers have it and old now defunct companies like Kelsey Hayes used a very nice coating.

I wash the calipers down with Prep-Sol and spray it with self etching primer (rattle can) then use caliper paint. It last for many years.
Spraying with brake cleaner and just using caliper paint doesn't last long, the etching primer on perfectly clean metal gets right into the metal surface and bonds with it.

Edit: BTW Girling used a zinc coating OEM.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Trav

I wash the calipers down with Prep-Sol and spray it with self etching primer (rattle can) then use caliper paint. It last for many years.
Spraying with brake cleaner and just using caliper paint doesn't last long, the etching primer on perfectly clean metal gets right into the metal surface and bonds with it.

That's a great way to treat them. It's a lot easier to do when you take the re-manufactured calipers out of the box prior to installing them.

I hate the way those parts rust so quickly.

I've seen ford OEMs look like that rusty caliper, but still function 100%

Looks can be deceiving, especially for parts that are designed to be exposed to the elements.

IF you don't like it, then paint it!

When I do caliper work, I buy the remanufactured ones from NAPA. Eclipse?? I believe is their brand? Anyway, they are painted BLACK .... thus no issues like this.

But I too have been down this road with the nice looking, bare rebuilt calipers. Disgusting after one winter. The ones from NAPA have lasted well.

That's just cosmetic rust. The rebuilt calipers on my truck did the same thing and they are 2 or 3 years old now.

If you can see the caliper and it bothers you get some brake paint and paint them. Same with the rotors. FYI my buddy just got a set of rotors from Stoptech for his G wagon that are painted internally and should look good for years. But they cost a few bucks.

On modern high end cars like a new BMW all the brake stuff is visible and its painted. They are also priced accordingly. NFW are you getting 2014 M4 brake calipers for $36...

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Papa Bear
Just a little surface rust ... no big deal.

The fact that all your wheel studs are broken off I find disturbing ...
cool.gif

Those cars use bolts not studs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back