Am I nuts for wanting a high mileage car?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been looking for a 2-door 2003-2007 Honda Accord EX 4-cylinder for quite a while now, and I finally found one (a 2003) that doesn't seem outrageously overpriced. I'm going to check it out tomorrow to see if everything checks out. The owner claims it's very well maintained, 3k OCIs with Mobil 1 since new and has no quarter panel rust (big issue here in MI). The price is very reasonable, since it has 236,000 miles (mostly highway). 220,000 were put on in the first 7 or 8 years and it was then only driven in the summer and stored winters. The timing chain and water pump were recently replaced as were the brakes/rotors. The owner also claims that everything in the car works and nothing is wrong with it. Any thoughts on these cars and if I should just avoid it like the plague? The price is low enough where I can afford to pay for it with cash outright and not have to mess with getting a loan. My Integra needs a lot of work, so I'd only plan on using the Accord for the summer, putting on maybe 5-7k a year and using my Integra as a winter beater until it finally goes kaput. Any opinions/anecdotes/etc. would be greatly appreciated.
smile.gif
I haven't bought a car in quite a while, so I'm not sure if I'm doing the right thing. I should mention that they're asking $4,200 but I'm hoping to get it for closer to blue book ($3,800)

My brother has a 06 silver coupe 2.4 with 175k, runs great. He got it brand new, the only part that has failed was the starter 3 months ago, other than that only routine Maint.

Last edited:
The auto transmissions in the 2003's are not so good, and that includes V6's and the I4's. Is there proof that the trans fluid was changed on a regular basis? Even if there was I would look for a 2005+ model.
Edit: just saw your reply, so has the clutch been replaced?

Last edited:
CD changer probably gone out of shape and won't load CDs.
Heated seat wires probably broken.

I think you are nuts. But then again, after washing waxing cars today, and seeing the rock chips, I'm very sad to see the carnage after this winter. Makes me wonder why I buy new, or nearly so--it winds up in the boneyard no matter what.

I dont think you can go wrong with the 5 spd k series drivetrain. Super solid. Only thing i dont like from the kseries is it's twitchy power steering system.

What's wrong with your integra?

I don't believe the seats are heated in this one (they're cloth, not leather) and he says the CD player works fine and the backlight still works as well. I'll test it to make sure. I suppose worst case scenario I could get an aftermarket head unit put in? I do not know if the clutch was ever done. I'll have to ask him that. Also, I've never really heard any complaints about the autos in the 4-cylinders, just the V6s. I suppose any transmission could fail though, if neglected. I also do not know when the transmission fluid was changed. I'll add that to my list of questions to ask.

The Integra is falling apart cosmetically, especially after hitting a raccoon that broke my bumper and messed up my inner fender on the front and the intake as well. It's rusting very badly in the back quarter panels, needs a new CV axle, and is due for a timing belt/water pump/valve adjustment/distributor cap/rotor, etc. and I don't really feel it's prudent to put so much money into a nearly 20 year old car that's rusting so badly. I was also told that a lot of the bushings are starting to crack and need to be replaced. One in the back (one of the control arms) is also pretty bad, but very costly to replace labor wise. I put probably around $2,000 in repairs into the car last year. I forgot to mention that it also has a random misfiring issue that I'm having a hard time duplicating consistently. I was told it's probably the IACV and FITV, but I haven't gotten around to fixing either yet.

Originally Posted By: ThirdeYe
I've been looking for a 2-door 2003-2007 Honda Accord EX 4-cylinder for quite a while now, and I finally found one (a 2003) that doesn't seem outrageously overpriced. I'm going to check it out tomorrow to see if everything checks out. The owner claims it's very well maintained, 3k OCIs with Mobil 1 since new and has no quarter panel rust (big issue here in MI). The price is very reasonable, since it has 236,000 miles (mostly highway). 220,000 were put on in the first 7 or 8 years and it was then only driven in the summer and stored winters. The timing chain and water pump were recently replaced as were the brakes/rotors. The owner also claims that everything in the car works and nothing is wrong with it. Any thoughts on these cars and if I should just avoid it like the plague? The price is low enough where I can afford to pay for it with cash outright and not have to mess with getting a loan. My Integra needs a lot of work, so I'd only plan on using the Accord for the summer, putting on maybe 5-7k a year and using my Integra as a winter beater until it finally goes kaput. Any opinions/anecdotes/etc. would be greatly appreciated.
smile.gif
I haven't bought a car in quite a while, so I'm not sure if I'm doing the right thing. I should mention that they're asking $4,200 but I'm hoping to get it for closer to blue book ($3,800)

One thing about high-mileage cars. They are rarely lemons. They also tend to have had consistent maintenance. On a low-mileage car, maybe there's a lot more life in it, but maybe it was neglected (cars used rarely tend to be neglected) or maybe it was unreliable so it sat in the garage. With a careful detail, the low-mileage neglected or lemon car looks like a creampuff. For a high-mileage car, what you see is what you get. Maybe its worn out of course, but you have a fair chance to assess that in the test drive.

I suppose its different with a Honda, but high mileage cars are a drag on the market and pricing services tend to understate that. No way would I pay more than book. If you are not an anxious buyer you can probably get it for less.

many many many years ago i found a report from Oklahoma U. that to get 500,000. miles from a gasoline car engine you have to filter the oil to 2-3 microns. fram DID make a filter that would filter to 2 microns. F3-p. i think it is no longer made. but i do have a new one. even though i havent used it yet. NOT for sale.

Originally Posted By: jimbrewer
Originally Posted By: ThirdeYe
smile.gif

One thing about high-mileage cars. They are rarely lemons. They also tend to have had consistent maintenance. On a low-mileage car, maybe there's a lot more life in it, but maybe it was neglected (cars used rarely tend to be neglected) or maybe it was unreliable so it sat in the garage. With a careful detail, the low-mileage neglected or lemon car looks like a creampuff. For a high-mileage car, what you see is what you get. Maybe its worn out of course, but you have a fair chance to assess that in the test drive.

I suppose its different with a Honda, but high mileage cars are a drag on the market and pricing services tend to understate that. No way would I pay more than book. If you are not an anxious buyer you can probably get it for less.

I'm not desperate and I know which particular cars I'm waiting for. I've already turned a few down because of how picky I am about the condition of my next car. I saw one that was nearly flawless. Low miles, reasonable price, well maintained, but it had a bit of quarter panel rust starting so I passed on it. The quarter panel rust is my biggest concern because of how difficult it is to fix (nearly impossible). I learned this the hard way. If this one has any major issues or rust in the rear quarters, I'll walk away. Even if nothing is wrong with it, I don't plan to pay more than retail for it. I doubt I'd pay more than $3,800.

Originally Posted By: morris
many many many years ago i found a report from Oklahoma U. that to get 500,000. miles from a gasoline car engine you have to filter the oil to 2-3 microns. fram DID make a filter that would filter to 2 microns. F3-p. i think it is no longer made. but i do have a new one. even though i havent used it yet. NOT for sale.

I don't think that's necessarily true. I know someone with over 500k on their Honda Accord and they just used Supertech oil in it and an inexpensive oil filter.

The mileage on this potential new to you car is extremely high. They have essentially worn it out and are now expecting to get money out of it. I don't see the case for that at all. I don't care what the book value is--this car is basically worn out. I would offer them $2000 take it our leave it and be willing to walk away. They have gotten all the life out of this probably and you are basically making a gift out of any amount that you pay for it at this point. It's probably not even worth $2000. Good luck, however.

IMO $4,200 is a little steep on price for that many miles. I wouldn't pay a dime over the $3,800 and driving the Integra in the winter is a good idea, just don't waste any more $$$ on that Integra, it's got a lot of miles and doesn't owe you anything. I'd let it misfire as well as long as it doesn't get like 10 mpg.

It's very difficult to sell any vehicle with more than 200k miles, regardless of the condition excellent or not. I think the owner is lucky if he can sell it for $3500-3800. I would not buy it for more than $3500 after checking all the fluid conditions, transmission and suspension.

100K miles on a 21st century car is the 50k mile car of the 20th century....in terms of maintenance and regular replacement of parts...100k is the sweet spot nowadays...especially if those 100k serviceable parts (from drive belts to plugs to battery, brakes and engine mounts, and all fluids) have been replaced beFORE the buy...

My next question-is it an MI car.

with the years and miles, I'd bet their is rust on it somewhere. Might be worth it to pay a few extra bucks and get a southern or western US car...

I mention that because I've had thoughts of picking up another 03-05 cavalier. Because these are so cheap to run. but here most of them are pretty rusted out too....

I nosed though ebay and autotrader to see other cars, and I did find some. They were a bit more cost wise (and need to be shipped), but it's much easier to fix a car with normal issues than the ones that rust causes to the car....

I bought my 2004 Honda Accord EX V6, red with leather interior a few years ago at 355,000 miles. Another poster commented that high mileage cars have to be well maintained, in my case this was true. The car looks like it has 80,000 miles. It was serviced every month and I have the records so I can track what might need to be replaced next. I'm up to 397,000 miles now and will keep it until it gets into a bad accident or I need a minivan for kids. I created an account here to reply to this thread. Keep an open mind about the car. If you can do some of the repairs it's definitely worth it. For me parts are cheaper than car payments. It's always had synthetic oil, and right now I have Mobil 1 high mileage in it. Good luck!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back