Are you able to buy ammo?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: 06AllAmerican
I get lucky at ***** sporting goods.

I sometimes have to wait in a line.

I get to the store 20- 30 minutes before they open. Wait till the store opens, go in and usually they have the larger amounts 2 times a week.
I call ahead and ask when the ammo shipment is due. If you get a good sales person they will give you all the information you need.

The bad part is they limit you to 1 purchase over 300 round or 3 smaller boxes.

I have gotten lucky and have a few thousand round for shooting.

.22 ammo has gotten really expensive.

wow a whole 2 thousand rounds of .22. sleep like a baby NOW I bet

Originally Posted By: jcwit
Just what we need, the government telling us how much ammo we can but, with no thought it lets the camels nose into the tent.

Reading to much into it????
You are not looking at the future ramifications of a law such as this.

You seem much to concerned with "I want mine."

Well duh, that's the point. Put the ammo back on the shelves so sport shooters like myself can get back to doing what they like to do instead of all the ammo going to hoarders and people looking to make a quick buck....

Originally Posted By: grampi
Just what we need, the government telling us how much ammo we can but, with no thought it lets the camels nose into the tent.

Well duh, that's the point. Put the ammo back on the shelves so sport shooters like myself can get back to doing what they like to do instead of all the ammo going to hoarders and people looking to make a quick buck....

Sorry Grampi, we're just going to have to wait for it to all work out. But why did you not prepare yourself back when our current "leader?" go elected into office. You could not see the writing on the wall? I thought it was fairly obvious.

Now with that said I have a huge stash of ammo, but it was purchased long, long before this madness started, much of it back in the 1990's. Just bought it when it was on sale, much as I do with motor oil, toilet paper, and other consumables we all use daily or weekly.

I haven't purchased ammo or reloading components for years, wait I'll correct that, just last week I purchased 1,000 Berry plated 9mm bullets.

Sorry Grampi, we're just going to have to wait for it to all work out. But why did you not prepare yourself back when our current "leader?" go elected into office. You could not see the writing on the wall? I thought it was fairly obvious.

Now with that said I have a huge stash of ammo, but it was purchased long, long before this madness started, much of it back in the 1990's. Just bought it when it was on sale, much as I do with motor oil, toilet paper, and other consumables we all use daily or weekly.

I haven't purchased ammo or reloading components for years, wait I'll correct that, just last week I purchased 1,000 Berry plated 9mm bullets.

I guess I didn't feel the need to start hoarding ammo just because of who was moving into the WH...unfortunately a lot of others did....

jcwit said:

I guess I didn't feel the need to start hoarding ammo just because of who was moving into the WH...unfortunately a lot of others did....

Well you can always go to a gun show and pay $50/$75 bucks for a brick of .22's.

right on. and why did Jcwitt use "leader" in quotes? the guy was elected twice and no one has taken yer gunz. Is this site now the Cliven Bundy ranch??

Well you can always go to a gun show and pay $50/$75 bucks for a brick of .22's.

well you SHOULD. just in case you need to fight the govt off with a 10/22. the gun companies are laughing all the way to the bank. kind of like the way glenn beck got rich ripping people off with gold line and mercantilists got rich selling shovels and beans during the gold rush

Originally Posted By: FXjohn

right on. and why did Jcwitt use "leader" in quotes? the guy was elected twice and no one has taken yer gunz. Is this site now the Cliven Bundy ranch??

Take it however you wish, makes no never mind to me. You can't figure it out, there's little I can do to help you.

BTW it's jcwit, NOT Jcwit.

Take it however you wish, makes no never mind to me. You can't figure it out, there's little I can do to help you.

who me? i don't panic and worry about buying ammo at the last second. I had what I needed before President Obama took office and i never feared he was going to take my guns or put me in a FEMA camp.

who me? i don't panic and worry about buying ammo at the last second. I had what I needed before President Obama took office and i never feared he was going to take my guns or put me in a FEMA camp.

Oh, I'm sure the guy would love to confiscate everybody's guns and ammo, fortunately for us, he doesn't have the laws to back up those desires...

jcwit said:

I actually found a place online selling the Federal 525 round bricks for $74.95 each...I was buying those at Walmart 3 or 4 years ago for just $11.99...if that isn't price gouging I don't know what is...

Oh, I'm sure the guy would love to confiscate everybody's guns and ammo, fortunately for us, he doesn't have the laws to back up those desires...

oh you're sure. that's why the panic I guess

More than likely, after all that's when it all started.

YUP, Those of us in the know, know. Those of us who aren't haven't a clue!

If people would stop doing that stupid stuff .22 would magically reappear.

For 3 years or more now my searches for .22 ammo have all been failures...my daughter likes to go to the shooting range with the old man (the old man likes it too, when she doesn't outshoot me)....doesn't seem to matter if I look locally, online, Wal-Mart, gun shops, wherever, they're always out...I would've thought this issue would be resolved by now....strange that it isn't....

grampi,

I haven't been able to buy 22 ammo like I use to for years! Ammo is just too high here in California and because I'm more worried about putting food on the table I'm lucky to get to the range twice per year.

In addition during my work time some people head to the stores and buy the entire lot. One store was charging around $35 bucks per brick.

Durango

Just a little education.
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?240038-Found-on-Facebook

Link requires membership.

American Rifleman had an extensive article on ammo supply. Simply put: consumer demand has gone way up. Factories are working 3 shifts to try and keep up and production has focused on the common calibers, but demand remains high.

I don't think it's the survivalist/prepper types that are driving up .22LR, frankly, it's the sport shooter that wants rounds for plinking.

The prepper types drove up demand for AR-15 magazines and .223/5.56mm last year and that demand has finally been met. While demand was high, folks were getting $100 (and higher) for a box of 90 rounds of .223.

That ammo is back in stock (and back to normal prices) and magazines are back down to $13 for a Magpul at my LGS (so, yeah, I bought a few more Magpul magazines and 1,000 rounds of XM193 last week for $420).

The Gov't doesn't use .22LR. Preppers don't. It's your fellow sport shooters that are causing the demand spike. It'll come back down in price and .22 LR availability will return to normal again.

But with gun sales doubling since 2008, the volume of .22LR (and other popular calibers like 9mm, .45ACP and .223/5.56mm) will never return to 2008 levels...there are too many new owners that want to shoot.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: hatt

If people would stop doing that stupid stuff .22 would magically reappear.

If everyone stopped buying .22LR, then yes, it would magically reappear...that's the nature of the supply/demand curve intersection and price point.

But hoping that everyone will stop buying something that they want is like hoping to see a unicorn...both magical and unlikely.

I actually found a place online selling the Federal 525 round bricks for $74.95 each...I was buying those at Walmart 3 or 4 years ago for just $11.99...if that isn't price gouging I don't know what is...

It's not price gouging. It's the way a free market works. Buyers set the market. Raising prices on ammo is no different than Harley dealers charging 4-5,000 over MSRP or a Dodge dealer charging $10,000 over MSRP for a Viper. The new Silverado isn't selling as well as Chevy had hoped, so they are offering huge rebates on it. They lowered the price because buyers said the truck was over vauled.

More than likely, after all that's when it all started.

YUP, Those of us in the know, know. Those of us who aren't haven't a clue!

so if you know so much, what guns have been taken?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back