Single Stack 9mm for Concealed Carry

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have started looking for for a single stack 9mm for concealed carry. I have a service sized Springfield XD 9mm for home defense, but it is too big and cumbersome to carry. I'm currently looking at the following 2 guns:

1) Ruger LC9
2) Smith & Wesson M&P Shield

What are your thoughts? Any other guns I should be considering?

I carry a Beretta Nano with an 8rd magazine, it's tiny and an extremely well built gun. It has never failed to go bang, and I've put over 600 rounds through it. The trigger was a little stiff and gritty when new, but smoothed out nicely after the first 200 rounds and a good bit of dry fire. 8 rounds of 124gr Speer Gold Dot JHP is usually good for whatever is ailing ya!

I carry a 2nd generation Diamondback DB9 which is one of the lightest 9MM weapons that you can find.

Another inexpensive light 9MM is the Kal Tec PF-9 an inexpensive gun.

You can find a wealth of information on these weapons on You Tube along with the Ruger and others.

I wear shorts and T-Shirt a lot here in the south and you carry a gun much more than shooting it.

In my book that makes size and weight a major consideration.

If those are your two choices only, I'd stick with the LC9, but only because I like Ruger guns so much. However, if you wanted to expand your search radius, consider also the Ruger SR9c, a compact 9mm that carries easily in a Remora inside-the-belt holster. A dream to shoot.

Thanks for the input guys!

I swung by the gun shop this afternoon and held the Shield and a Springfield XDS. I like the form factor of the Shield a little more, but I really like the XDS overall. I already have a XD which makes the smaller one feel familiar.

Ah, decisions decisions.

Anyone with XDS experience?

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
How does the Glock 26 compare to those two?

Wider, heavier. A closer comparison would be the nee Glock 42. I don't think that is in the cards because it is a 0.308 and I want to keep to 9mm because I don't want to stock different ammo right now.

Originally Posted By: Smoky14
Dress around your gun!

I could some of the time, but I have to wear slacks and a tie for work, so loose fitting clothes aren't an option. Seeing as my employer not only allows but encourages concealed carry I would like something small and comfortable.

My wife can always throw the service XD in her giant purse for concealed
laugh.gif

Originally Posted By: SF0059
Originally Posted By: Smoky14
Dress around your gun!

I could some of the time, but I have to wear slacks and a tie for work, so loose fitting clothes aren't an option. Seeing as my employer not only allows but encourages concealed carry I would like something small and comfortable.

My wife can always throw the service XD in her giant purse for concealed
laugh.gif

It's still possible.

I carried a 1911 IWB with a button down dress shirt once (tucked in of course). The holster was from White Hat (similar to the Crossbread). I just left a small bit bunched up at the waist. Not so much as to look sloppy- I basically tucked it in snugly, then reached my arms straight up to pull my shirt out for moving room and then tugged an extra little bit out. The only thing that showed were the two belt clips, which were not really noticeable.

Seemed to work well. Hard pressed to see. I'd think with a little Shield and the right holster, you could easily pull it off.

It my understanding Remington is having problems with the R51, I read where they even shut the line down till it gets rectified.

The initial reviews were pretty positive. Perhaps there have been some teething issues going from prototype to full blown production phase. Remington will get it right. Only complaint the reviewers had was the trigger had some gritty feeling to it, but that can easily be fixed or would over time smooth out.

Originally Posted By: jcwit
Like Remington fixed Marlin?

You mean the Freedom Group, correct? Since that is who owns Marlin, Remington, Bushmaster, DPMS, Dakota Arms, etc.

I think my next purchase is a Kel-Tec PF-9. I have the P-32 and it's an awesome little machine. The PF-9 isn't THE smallest single-stack 9 you can buy, but it's pretty close. I've found Kel-Tec customer service to be very good, and all manufacturing and customer support is in Cocoa, FL. Nice operation in my opinion.

My dad also has a P-32 and loves it, which is what got me turned on to the company. I'd never heard of Kel-Tec before be bought his, but they've made a name for themselves in the concealed carry market, and were actually one of the first to market with a very small "pocket gun".

Thanks for the insight on the Kel-Tec, Jason. After holding it I think I eliminated it because of the grip with my hand and the "feel" of it. I have known a few guys that love theirs, though.

After going to the gun shop and thinking it over some I think I may go with the S&W. I love everything about it except the manual safety. But I can't justify spending $150 more on the XD-S just for that reason. I ruled the Ruger out because of the trigger pull.

I am going to wait to buy one until my CC paperwork comes through. I'll let you guys know what I get and post some pictures!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back