Nissan VQ35 Owners

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'll chime in. Had the wife's Xterra with the VQ40DE since new. 5K OCI's religiously. To date, only 5W30 has been used of whatever flavor was available at the time. It holds 5.5 quarts and I've always made the 1/2 quart up with MMO. In nine years and 85k miles, I've never had to add a drop in between OCIs. Imperceptible movement from the fill line in 5K miles. This is the reason I just recently purchased a 2014 Nissan Frontier within the same engine. I'm hoping I have just as much good luck with the new one as I have had with the older one. Finger are crossed.

Originally Posted By: Mfrank84
I'll chime in. Had the wife's Xterra with the VQ40DE since new. 5K OCI's religiously. To date, only 5W30 has been used of whatever flavor was available at the time. It holds 5.5 quarts and I've always made the 1/2 quart up with MMO. In nine years and 85k miles, I've never had to add a drop in between OCIs. Imperceptible movement from the fill line in 5K miles. This is the reason I just recently purchased a 2014 Nissan Frontier within the same engine. I'm hoping I have just as much good luck with the new one as I have had with the older one. Finger are crossed.

Good luck with the new Frontier they are nice trucks the early models had issues with the timing chain/chain guids and the dreded trans lines that run through the radiator although I was told both issues were resolved in the late 2010 model year. I have a new to me 2012 Pathfinder with the VQ40DE V6 and so far I'm real happy with it. I plan to run Shell Full synthetic 5w30 and change it at around 6k with a quality filter prob a Fram Ultra. I will have the oil tested for the first time in a few months. Rt now it has only 7,500 miles and what ever the dealer changed it with last. I am looking forward to see how a fill of the synthetic Shell will hold up under my summer camper towing? I ran this oil in my Toyota 4Runner and put 170k on it before selling and it ran great never used a drop.

Mine was the same way. Had to sell it at 81k miles because of MPGs and a recently acquired longer work commute. The VQ40DE, aside from the fuel consumption, is an amazing engine.

Originally Posted By: Camprunner

Good luck with the new Frontier they are nice trucks the early models had issues with the timing chain/chain guids and the dreded trans lines that run through the radiator although I was told both issues were resolved in the late 2010 model year. I have a new to me 2012 Pathfinder with the VQ40DE V6 and so far I'm real happy with it. I plan to run Shell Full synthetic 5w30 and change it at around 6k with a quality filter prob a Fram Ultra. I will have the oil tested for the first time in a few months. Rt now it has only 7,500 miles and what ever the dealer changed it with last. I am looking forward to see how a fill of the synthetic Shell will hold up under my summer camper towing? I ran this oil in my Toyota 4Runner and put 170k on it before selling and it ran great never used a drop.

Thanks. We are real happy with the purchase so far. On the Xterra I did the reroute of the transmission lines that took the radiator out of the picture altogether and simply use the beefy-looking transmission cooler it came with from the factory. Also flushed out most of the Matic J ATF and replaced it with Mobil 1 Multi-Vehicle Syn ATF. Did this five years ago and everything works fine, transmission still shifting smooth. Still using the original radiator but I did do a complete flush on it at the same time I did the re-route. At the time no one was sure exactly what the problem was: The Matic J ATF, poor materials used in the radiator, poor welds in the transmission lines in the radiator or a combination of any and all. Looks very clean in side the radiator cap. Since I'm not going to take advantage of the free oil changes my dealer offered, I've stocked up on Kendall Full Syn (5W30) that should get the Frontier and Xterra through he next few years' OCIs. Fram TGs and Wix will be the filters of choice.

Originally Posted By: thunderfog

Mine was the same way. Had to sell it at 81k miles because of MPGs and a recently acquired longer work commute. The VQ40DE, aside from the fuel consumption, is an amazing engine.

I agree. This engine has been rock-solid for us so far. Just replaced the original factory plugs, PCV valve and serpentine belt as preventative maintenance. Other than one recall by the manufacturer for something non-engine related, it's never seen the inside of a dealership service bay. Another reason I felt comfortable getting the Frontier with the same engine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back