Yay! No tears in Motorcraft filter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Have been slightly on edge with all the recent Purolator media tears, so I decided to dig up the last FL400s I took off about a month ago.

This was taken off at 320,000 with a 4k OCI of MC 5w-30. This is probably my 80th MC filter on the truck.

I didn't feel like pulling out the Dremel and making a mess, so I crudely drilled a 1/2" hole in the dome end and used tin snips and channelocks to peel the can open.
Some of the scratches and snags on the media were from me fighting it a bit out of the jagged can.

yhu5.jpg

02r0.jpg

uand.jpg

MC filters and 4K OCI religiously since new.

I'm up for another oil change in a couple thou, so I'll get that one opened up as well.

I think a shotgun would have given a cleaner cut. Gotta do what ya gotta do though.

Filter looks good. I used to use MC filters as well. For now I think I will be using Fram Ultra. I really like the idea of wire backed media, and the ease of obtaining the Frams.

Originally Posted By: tinmanSC
Holy [censored]! What did you do to that poor filter? http://smile.amazon.com/Longacre-Oil-Fil...l+filter+cutter

Don't have a spare $56...
frown.gif

Originally Posted By: panthermike
320K on your Ranger, nice! How does she run?

Like new!!

Originally Posted By: stranger706
I think a shotgun would have given a cleaner cut. Gotta do what ya gotta do though.

LOL!! It only took about a minute with stuff I had lying around.

I also use the 400s on my truck. I'd say the filter media looks good. And who cares about the torn can anyway? Somebody want to keep it maybe frame it? One could hang it next to (Or above) the pictures of their cars and children... ;-)

Originally Posted By: 1kickbuttranger
Holy [censored]! What did you do to that poor filter? http://smile.amazon.com/Longacre-Oil-Fil...l+filter+cutter

frown.gif

No worries. A visit to Harbor Freight with 25% off coupon that's been floating around in many magazines gets you a decent oil filter cutter for ~$15. Recently used it is to cut open a chrome Harley Davidson 5um (name) filter. Took a little finesse and several turns as the HD can is very heavy gauge, but it worked. On normal oil filters it gets the job done faster. Worth it if you plan future oil filter dissection posting. Works on up to 3.25" dia. filters, according to FL400 OD specs, it should work just fine. The 25% off coupons are become more scarce, but there's still lots of 20% off coupons around.

FL400S looks good, don't think there have been any MC tears posted, just several endcap poppers but that's not generally a functional issue. Thanks for the pics.

http://www.harborfreight.com/exhaust-pipe-cut-off-tool-69327.html

image_6718.jpg

Looks good, also looks like you have a CLEAN engine on your hands. Keep up the good work! Thanks for sharing.

Motorcrafts don't seem to have the media tearing issue from what has been seen here. This filter looks excellent.

Things to note. This Motorcraft has a glued seam instead of a metal crimped seam, has tightly spaced pleats near the seam, and uses a different media composition than the Purolators. IMO, all those factors seem to come into play with the tearing issue. Those factors don't seem to be present in the Motorcraft line.

Originally Posted By: sayjac

frown.gif

No worries. A visit to Harbor Freight with 25% off coupon that's been floating around in many magazines gets you a decent oil filter cutter for ~$15. Recently used it is to cut open a chrome Harley Davidson 5um (name) filter. Took a little finesse and several turns as the HD can is very heavy gauge, but it worked. On normal oil filters it gets the job done faster. Worth it if you plan future oil filter dissection posting. Works on up to 3.25" dia. filters, according to FL400 OD specs, it should work just fine. The 25% off coupons are become more scarce, but there's still lots of 20% off coupons around.

FL400S looks good, don't think there have been any MC tears posted, just several endcap poppers but that's not generally a functional issue. Thanks for the pics.

http://www.harborfreight.com/exhaust-pipe-cut-off-tool-69327.html

image_6718.jpg

huh.. I've had good luck using a standard Kitchen Can opener. manual hand crank type. Picked it up @ Dollar General for a couple bucks
just pull out the gasket, set the geared end inside the rim, and let the cutter walk the seam. last P1 I cut open was only about 3-4 "laps" of the can before it came apart...
here's a pic with everything laid out:
pl14447autopsy%25204-20-14%2520001.JPG
pl14447autopsy%25204-20-14%2520009.JPG

Last edited:
MC makes probably the best American made OEM filter you can get for the $.

They always prove to be good.

Incredible. It is amazing how you did not damage the media during your disection.Filter looked great.

Originally Posted By: Lubener
Incredible. It is amazing how you did not damage the media during your disection.

Since he tore up the dome end, he had a little more room to spare.

Originally Posted By: gregk24
Looks good, also looks like you have a CLEAN engine on your hands. Keep up the good work! Thanks for sharing.

Thanks!

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
Looks like both oil and filter can be used for another 3-4k miles.

Can't do that... I do not believe in extended OCI's. I'm from the old school where 3K maximun was the standard. The truck specs 5K. So I met I the middle and been at 4K (give or take 50-100 miles). The oil does smell stronger every OC.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
Looks like both oil and filter can be used for another 3-4k miles.

Can't do that... I do not believe in extended OCI's. I'm from the old school where 3K maximun was the standard....

No doubt that is "old school" now. Even today's dinos are easily good for 5k mile ocis. Your money and your vehicle though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back