Daily commute $$ to work toll/gas/parking

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looking at my commuting costs the other day. Boston burbs thru 2 toll roads and daily parking.
My simple commute on a daily basis is about $40 per day
broken up by gas 11mpg in city about $22
tolls roughly $9
parking $10

Wondering what other people are averaging.

Living in the city, during the winter time, I take the subway at $2.25 each way, or $4.50 for the day (about 45 minutes door to door).

If I choose to drive in that day, it's about 5.5 miles each way, or about $2.20 in gas in my 20mpg Element, plus $10-$15 in parking for the day. $17.20 for the day (about 30 minutes door to door, traffic).

About 9 months out of the year, I ride the motorcycle that gets about 40mpg, I don't pay to park, adding up to $1.10 in gas each day (about 30 minutes door to door, traffic).

With no traffic, I could get door to door in about 8 minutes.

Last edited:
$40.00 /day. That's pretty steep. I suppose it could be worse, though.

I worked in an office for 20+ years and had a 50 mile roundtrip commute with no tolls or parking fees. I guess that would cost me roughly 2 gallons of gas per day, or $7.00/day. Now I work from a home office. My commute is 13 steps down to my basement cubicle. Takes roughly 20 seconds from the kitchen area. Plus I get a small tax write off!

I drive 4 miles each way to work every day, so 8 miles total. that works out to less than a dollar a day for gas. no tolls or lunch money needed as I brown bag it.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: evandostert
Looking at my commuting costs the other day.

shocked2.gif
Unacceptable!

DUDE! Move!! Or something!!!

Originally Posted By: Turk

shocked2.gif
Unacceptable!

that or his boss needs to pony up to help.

My most expensive commute was about $12 per day, but I worked from home 2 days a week. I think lunch is my biggest daily expense mots days.

Time for a commuter car like an old Subaru, you can drop the fuel cost by half and you don't worry about door dings and fender benders.
Tolls and parking are a fact of life in Skunk Hollow Massachusetts.

Originally Posted By: Chris142
Originally Posted By: Turk

shocked2.gif
Unacceptable!

that or his boss needs to pony up to help.

Or get something that is more fuel friendly that 11 mpg if possible.
--
OP - mines like $32 a week in gas. My g/fs is $45/week in gas. We specifically take backroads to avoild tolls both ways daily that would add another couple of bucks a day daily, and specifically have chosen something that will hit 30 - 40mpg. On the other hand, decent chance I will have to start taking a train 3 to 5 days a week. A monthly is $286, which doesn't include parking or gas to and from the station.

I commute about fifty miles round trip.
Free parking and no toll roads.
Figure five or six bucks for gas, depending on the current price.

Currently I telecommute, so no commuting costs to speak of other than an occasional drive to the airport, but I can expense it.

In my previous job, my commute was about 56 miles round trip. Cost of gas plus parking was around $11-12 per day.

My old job was 90 miles round trip mostly interstate. No tolls, free parking.

So around $10 in gas per day.

My new job that I should start next month will be 60 miles round trip. So that will be $7 per day.

Always make/bring my own lunch.

It's about $50 for me. (*** per week)

No tolls or parking fees thankfully. Between both jobs and school, my driving is very mixed. School days are about 60 miles round trip.

Last edited:
4 miles there, 4 miles back.
Even at 16MPG in the CVPI thats only about 0.5Gallon.
$2?

I buy lunch and drinks at the cafeteria, though. Probably about $10/day there.

Last edited:
I telecommute so zero for the last 9 years.

However the office visit in Cambridge MA costs:
$30 to park
$22 in fuel(MDX @ 110 miles round trip)
$10 in coffee
$10-$40 for lunch

That happens maybe once every two months.

$9/day in metro fare. Used to walk (free) but moved further out for cheaper rent. At least the first $130/mo is tax-deductible.

is there a way around the toll roads? there is here.people pay extra to use them. what about parking? does the employer not provide a parking lot?
these may be silly questions coming from a west coast desert rat

At current gas prices, estimating a 200,000 mile vehicle life and using Edmunds' estimated maintenance expense, I get:

Fuel: $.14/mile
Depreciation: $.12/mile
Repair & Maintenance: $.08/mile

58 mile round trip comes to $19.72/day, $98.60/week, $5,127/year if I never took a day off.

Hopefully switching to a 4 mile round trip commute in a few weeks, fingers crossed...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back