Bosch Premium 3324 2.2Liter G5 with PP 5W-30

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just changed out this oil filter. On the car for 6 months and 4K miles (6K kms) with PP 5W-30. All short trip miles with many cold starts at -25F.
Really sludgy and thick when the oil was drained. Filter looks sludgy as well. New 3324 beside the old for comparisons sake.

e168e0c2-7623-429b-add2-52bb3c395adf_zps85cdecc7.jpg

73d2875d-d8d4-46d1-9826-3e9de976b745_zpsf93d87ef.jpg

wow that used filter looks like it is pretty deformed. especially for that short oci. does the filter always look like that ?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Danno
Just changed out this oil filter. On the car for 6 months and 4K miles (6K kms) with PP 5W-30. All short trip miles with many cold starts at -25F.
Really sludgy and thick when the oil was drained. Filter looks sludgy as well.

If it's doing that on the filter media, it's doing it inside the engine.

Are you using an engine block heater?

Have you tried 0W-20?

4k miles & it looks like that??
shocked2.gif

Take the Valve/Cam cover off & see what it looks like inside.....

seems to have at least held up. Those temps and driving conditions are pretty severe service. Change sooner next time?

Did you switch to PP from conventional on a possibly sludgy motor?

Assuming bypass is integral to motor...

Engine spec calls for 5W-30, not sure how well 0W-20 would work with a 2.2L Ecotec.
Used PP on car since we got it 18 months ago. First time it looks like that. I think it is due to the extreme cold winter we had, with most trips under 5 miles. OLM was down to 17%.
Used QSGB 5W-30 for the summer OCI.

Last edited:
That is really nasty! I would not expect to see a good oil like that turn into a nasty mess like that in such short time. I think I would do a short oci to help clean it out, then change it again.

That would concern me if it was my vehicle, not looking so good =/ PP is a good cleaning oil so I would stick with that. Maybe a shorten the OCI to 3,000 miles.

While ecotec cartridge results posted here seem spotty with all brands, except maybe the Hengst oem, this is one of if not the worst I've seen posted here. Imo, don't think one can blame the cartridge in this case with all the visible sludge.

Have you looked down the fill hole? For 4k mi/6 month oci even with short trips the results seem excessive, but maybe it's the combination with the extreme cold you report. Based on this result, think I'd try to shorten up the next winter oci at very least, and then check the results. Maybe even shorten the next oci and check the results.

Engine spec calls for 5W-30, not sure how well 0W-20 would work with a 2.2L Ecotec.

The owner's manual still specs 5W-30 for use down to -25 deg F?

Used PP on car since we got it 18 months ago. First time it looks like that. I think it is due to the extreme cold winter we had, with most trips under 5 miles. OLM was down to 17%. Used QSGB 5W-30 for the summer OCI.

So was this the first time you have used the car in these extreme cold conditions since you've only had it 18 months? Might want to do some longer drives in those conditions to ensure the oil is heated up much more which helps burn off condensation.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix

So was this the first time you have used the car in these extreme cold conditions since you've only had it 18 months? Might want to do some longer drives in those conditions to ensure the oil is heated up much more which helps burn off condensation.

I agree. Get her out on the highway for a good 20 mins at least once a week. Probably one of the worst filters I've seen here honestly. Very surprising for a new car too. I don't think I've seen a slugged up filter where synthetic oil was used either..

Used PP on car since we got it 18 months ago. First time it looks like that. I think it is due to the extreme cold winter we had, with most trips under 5 miles. OLM was down to 17%.

The first line of defense is a block heater. There's no way this engine is going to be alive down the road if that's what's happening in winter.

The "0W" part of 0W-20 is no problem. The "20" part is only a problem in high temperatures, speeds, and under very heavy load. I've been trying Mobil 1 0W-20 in a variety of engines year-around and the only thing I have noted is an increase oil consumption on long trips in the summer.

This in Russian, but it gives you some idea of how a 0W-20 is superior to a 5W-20 (or your 5W-30) at extreme low temperatures:

-34C 0W-20 vs 5W-20

Im sure that filter / Engine went into bypass mode many miles ago.

that filter is USED.

you got your $ worth out of it.

I see this a lot on those engines that come through the shop. Never understood why but it must not be bothersome because they seem to rack up a lot of miles without any trouble. Engine must be pretty gunked up, and you made a good choice in oil to clean it all up! It should improve every oil change from here on.

Engines that run cold will form sludge. Maybe monitor the temp gauge, check the thermostat, and try to get it good and hot from time to time. Thermostats can fail to open properly, and should be the temp specified by the factory, not a cooler one.

The block heaters these engines come with are rather weak. They are an external bolt on that presses against the block. I think a wolverine oil pan heater is what the op needs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back