Are you able to buy ammo?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't blame you. I remember not too long ago going to gun shows (around 2010) and .22s and the ammo for them was everywhere. You could buy .22 in huge quantities no problem then. At the time I considered getting a .22 as cheap plinker, but my Ruger P89 satisfied my shooting interest, so I never bought one.

I think when people started freaking about "they 'gon take the guns away," a lot of people snatched up .22s and the ammo for them, and it has yet to subside. One day .22 will be available and relatively inexpensive again, but the panic will have to fully subside for that to happen. What sucks is people aren't dumping all this .22 ammo at the range...it's sitting around, doing nothing. Plenty of it is out there, crazy hoarders just have a lock on it.

My uncle has plenty (bought a pallet a couple years ago), but I did notice that .22LR is in short supply lately. I wonder if companies are making other calibers instead...?

Originally Posted By: Jarlaxle
My uncle has plenty (bought a pallet a couple years ago), but I did notice that .22LR is in short supply lately. I wonder if companies are making other calibers instead...?

From what I've gathered there's just as much .22 ammo being made as ever, it's just that the hoarders are snatching it all up...what I don't understand is why manufacturers won't bump up production to try and ease the pinch a bit...

Okay, here's an easy fix for the ammo shortage. Create a national database that lists the person's name and amount of ammo they purchase, and limit the amount a person can buy per month, week, whatever. This database must be used by any place authorized to sell ammo, and the person's ammo purchases are logged into the database no matter when, or where they purchase. This would stop the hoarding...I've been saying all along, if those who are in positions to resolve this issue wanted it resolved, it would've been resolved by now...this isn't rocket science...

Originally Posted By: grampi
From what I've gathered there's just as much .22 ammo being made as ever, it's just that the hoarders are snatching it all up...what I don't understand is why manufacturers won't bump up production to try and ease the pinch a bit...

What I've read is that manufacturers are already running 3 shifts, producing it 24/7, but profit margins on .22LR are so thin, it doesn't make sense for the manufacturers to invest in more equipment to make it.

Last edited:
Come on Grampi; we fought for the right to be a greedy, ugly, American. A little self control and we could all go shooting our .22s.
I remember when we could get a sleeve of .22 for $100. in Tucson at the annual Jenson's sale. Wish I'd have hoarded some of that stuff instead of shooting it all up.

Smoky

Originally Posted By: Smoky14
Come on Grampi; we fought for the right to be a greedy, ugly, American. A little self control and we could all go shooting our .22s.
I remember when we could get a sleeve of .22 for $100. in Tucson at the annual Jenson's sale. Wish I'd have hoarded some of that stuff instead of shooting it all up.

Smoky

If people had self control there wouldn't be any hoarders...

Do you really want the government controlling how much ammo we buy? Call me crazy, but that sounds like a policy a lot of anti gun people would support.

Okay, here's an easy fix for the ammo shortage. Create a national database that lists the person's name and amount of ammo they purchase, and limit the amount a person can buy per month, week, whatever. This database must be used by any place authorized to sell ammo, and the person's ammo purchases are logged into the database no matter when, or where they purchase. This would stop the hoarding...I've been saying all along, if those who are in positions to resolve this issue wanted it resolved, it would've been resolved by now...this isn't rocket science...

You REALLY wish more government control over your life????????????????

Unreal that you would even post this.

What do you want next, the government to only allow single shot firearms so ammo will last longer till its all shot up?

This is wild!

The local store probably has a few hundred thousand rounds of .22LR
crazy2.gif

Canadian Tire, Walmart and even TSC all have it too up here
21.gif

Oh, and the ammo they were low on earlier they are now starting to get.

Originally Posted By: jcwit

You REALLY wish more government control over your life????????????????

Unreal that you would even post this.

What do you want next, the government to only allow single shot firearms so ammo will last longer till its all shot up?

You're reading to much into this. This database would only contain your name and the amount of ammo you're buying. That's it. If the gov wants to control our lives they already have more effective means of doing so than this type of database would provide...

Originally Posted By: whip
Do you really want the government controlling how much ammo we buy? Call me crazy, but that sounds like a policy a lot of anti gun people would support.

Not at all...it would ensure more people would have access to ammo as opposed to the few hoarders who have it all now and are just sitting on it....

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
This is wild!

crazy2.gif

21.gif

Then what are you waiting for? Ship it down here!

Just what we need, the government telling us how much ammo we can but, with no thought it lets the camels nose into the tent.

Reading to much into it????
You are not looking at the future ramifications of a law such as this.

You seem much to concerned with "I want mine."

This is wild!

crazy2.gif

21.gif

Bet it has something to do with customs.

Originally Posted By: jcwit
This is wild!

crazy2.gif

21.gif

Yup. Doubt I could ship anything that resembles ammo to you guys.

This is wild!

crazy2.gif

21.gif

I don't think there was ever a big shortage of .22 ammo up here.

Originally Posted By: xxch4osxx
This is wild!

crazy2.gif

21.gif

I don't think there was ever a big shortage of .22 ammo up here.

Agreed, I don't recall there ever being a lack of it anywhere local, including CT.

Originally Posted By: andrewg
The goofy hoarders and end of civilization doomsday dorks buy every single round of .22LR that is produced.
Fear is a powerful driving force, much more so than intellect and reason.

If there ever is a doomsday, the guys with bigger guns will find the houses of all the .22LR hoarders and take it all away from them for their own 22 firearms.
grin.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back