Strange oil usage

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have an '04 Corolla that just turned 200K miles. Since I've owned the car I've done 6K OCIs and it's never used a drop of oil between changes. About 6K miles ago I did my last oil change and I found some full synthetic (Havoline) on sale that made it basically the same price as the dino I normally use, so I thought what the heck, why not...nothing wrong with throwin in some of the good stuff once in a while, right? And, I should be able to go 10K on this OCI because full syn is good for longer OCIs. Well apparently, this engine doesn't like this oil, or the oil doesn't like this engine because it was a quart low when I checked the level. I've never had an engine of mine go from zero oil usage to using a full quart in one OCI just from switching from dino to syn...have any of you ever experienced this? I'm hoping the engine will go back to zero usage once I switch back to dino...

Originally Posted By: grampi
Well apparently, this engine doesn't like this oil, or the oil doesn't like this engine because it was a quart low when I checked the level. I've never had an engine of mine go from zero oil usage to using a full quart in one OCI just from switching from dino to syn...have any of you ever experienced this? I'm hoping the engine will go back to zero usage once I switch back to dino...

What viscosities are we talking about?

I have switched a couple of older vehicles from dino to synthetic, and they used a little but only for the first two runs on synthetic. After that they tightened back up. IMO nothing to be concerned about....

Last edited:
I switched from GTX HM 5w30 to PP 5w20, and my van consumed 1 quart in 4k with PP, I'm not sure if it's the synthetic that made the difference or the viscosity.

I haven't opened a bottle of Havoline since the 70's, back then it smelt like rotten peanuts and pouring out the contents, you could see black bits floating out.

I never understood that oil

Originally Posted By: Kuato
I have switched a couple of older vehicles from dino to synthetic, and they used a little but only for the first two runs on synthetic. After that they tightened back up. IMO nothing to be concerned about....

I agree and this has been my experience as well.

Agree. I have even had oil consumption issues crop up when changing brands of dino. Would not sweat it unless it continues.

I have an 07 and it did use half to one quart when I first switched over to syn at about 100k miles. Did you go from 5w30 dino to 5w30 syn? I went from 5w30 to 5w20 Pennzoil Ultra and it used almost a quart during 6k miles. I have since put in M1 AFE and it has slowed. I don't think its the oil though..I now only use synthetic and will continue to use it despite keeping OCI's 6k miles. This engine..dino or syn is solid so I wouldn't worry bout oil use but keep an eye on it and change pcv valve if you haven't.

I have an '04 Corolla that just turned 200K miles. Since I've owned the car I've done 6K OCIs and it's never used a drop of oil between changes. About 6K miles ago I did my last oil change and I found some full synthetic (Havoline) on sale that made it basically the same price as the dino I normally use, so I thought what the heck, why not...nothing wrong with throwin in some of the good stuff once in a while, right? And, I should be able to go 10K on this OCI because full syn is good for longer OCIs. Well apparently, this engine doesn't like this oil, or the oil doesn't like this engine because it was a quart low when I checked the level. I've never had an engine of mine go from zero oil usage to using a full quart in one OCI just from switching from dino to syn...have any of you ever experienced this? I'm hoping the engine will go back to zero usage once I switch back to dino...

I hope this was all a joke because the 1ZZ-FE is an oil burner because the lack of sufficient oil return holes in the piston, this problem was finally fixed by toyota in 05...

It's not the actual oil, it's a design flaw...and it just shows up when the oil rings finally get carboned up.
http://www.monkeywrenchracing.com/product_info.php?cPath=170_180&products_id=1608 please read the description in that link.

Originally Posted By: Rolla07
I have an 07 and it did use half to one quart when I first switched over to syn at about 100k miles. Did you go from 5w30 dino to 5w30 syn? I went from 5w30 to 5w20 Pennzoil Ultra and it used almost a quart during 6k miles. I have since put in M1 AFE and it has slowed. I don't think its the oil though..I now only use synthetic and will continue to use it despite keeping OCI's 6k miles. This engine..dino or syn is solid so I wouldn't worry bout oil use but keep an eye on it and change pcv valve if you haven't.

That's weird most people I have read about with 05+ don't burn any oil especially during 6k OCI.

98 prism with 1zz-FE at 320k didn't burn a drop of oil between a 6-8k OCI after additional holes with drilled into the pistons, the same friend help me rebuild my 1ZZ-FED & 2ZZ-GE.

Originally Posted By: 01_celica_gt

I hope this was all a joke because the 1ZZ-FE is an oil burner because the lack of sufficient oil return holes in the piston, this problem was finally fixed by toyota in 05...

It's not the actual oil, it's a design flaw...and it just shows up when the oil rings finally get carboned up.
http://www.monkeywrenchracing.com/product_info.php?cPath=170_180&products_id=1608 please read the description in that link.

I read somewhere the oil burning issue was caused by poorly designed oil rings and they were redesigned (and the issue was resolved) for the '03 and newer models...my '99 Corolla started burning a qt every 6k at around 150K miles...the '04 didn't burn a drop until I put syn oil in, so assumed what I had read early was true...

Originally Posted By: Wilhelm_D
Well apparently, this engine doesn't like this oil, or the oil doesn't like this engine because it was a quart low when I checked the level. I've never had an engine of mine go from zero oil usage to using a full quart in one OCI just from switching from dino to syn...have any of you ever experienced this? I'm hoping the engine will go back to zero usage once I switch back to dino...

What viscosities are we talking about?

5-30

Yes 5-30 for both dino and syn...and I DO think it's the oil and not the engine, simply because it wasn't using any oil until I put in the syn...

Yes 5-30 for both dino and syn...and I DO think it's the oil and not the engine, simply because it wasn't using any oil until I put in the syn...

I should of been more clear I didnt mean to say its not the oil i meant i didnt think PU was the problem since it hasnt used any M1. Switching to syn i did have oil usage but the usage has reduced alot.. i might add 1/4 qt on 6k miles.

That's weird most people I have read about with 05+ don't burn any oil especially during 6k OCI.

98 prism with 1zz-FE at 320k didn't burn a drop of oil between a 6-8k OCI after additional holes with drilled into the pistons, the same friend help me rebuild my 1ZZ-FED & 2ZZ-GE.

Doesnt have to do with the oil return. Point I made is that it didnt use any oil with dino..but did use some when i switched to syn..but after a few changes using syn it is down to maybe 1/4 quart.

Doesnt have to do with the oil return. Point I made is that it didnt use any oil with dino..but did use some when i switched to syn..but after a few changes using syn it is down to maybe 1/4 quart.

Next OC I'm going back to dino to see if it stops using...

Either that or try two more runs with the current synthetic
11.gif

Either that or try two more runs with the current synthetic
11.gif

I doubt I'll be able to get it at the super low price again, which is the only reason I got it in the 1st place...I'll probably just go back to the dino...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back