Are you able to buy ammo?

Status
Not open for further replies.
For 3 years or more now my searches for .22 ammo have all been failures...my daughter likes to go to the shooting range with the old man (the old man likes it too, when she doesn't outshoot me)....doesn't seem to matter if I look locally, online, Wal-Mart, gun shops, wherever, they're always out...I would've thought this issue would be resolved by now....strange that it isn't....

I just came from my local Academy, I bought 7.62 x 39 and 40S&W but they had several 500 rd. "Bricks" of 22 cal. and quite a bit of smaller 50 round boxes on the shelf behind the counter.

Originally Posted By: grampi
I would've thought this issue would be resolved by now....strange that it isn't....

Production would have to outpace demand from hoarders. That'd be a tall order, especially given that hoarders won't be happy unless they've bought everything there is to buy...

I have not seen .22LR in decent quantities for a reasonable price in a long time. My only gun that shot .22LR before the tragic canoeing accident was a S&W M&P15-22, that thing was super picky with ammo and only played well with Winchester M-22 which is currently unobtainium.

As far as the other firearms lost in the canoeing accident, .40S&W, .223/5.56x45, 5.7x28, .308/7.62x51 is plentiful. I was pleasantly surprised when Bass Pro had 5.7x28 for 29.99 a box of 50 and had a whole shelf of it. I currently am in a group buy of 5.56x45 at $347/1000 for Fiohcci.

9mm, .40, .45 and .223/5.56 is pretty easy to come by here compared to last year at this time.

I haven't been able to find .22 ammo since last May. Bought 3 bricks at WM for my stash and haven't shot any of them. Lol.

The goofy hoarders and end of civilization doomsday dorks buy every single round of .22LR that is produced.
Fear is a powerful driving force, much more so than intellect and reason.

A couple methods that worked for me, that you may try.

First, one sporting goods store told me that they don't mind if I call to see if they have inventory of .22. They even told me what time to call, so the delivery truck would have already came for the day. It took about a week and a half of calls, and they got in a bunch of Federal. My wife picked me up at work and we each went and bought a carton.

The second method that worked, is another sporting goods store allowed people to prepay for .22. When shipments came in, those that had prepaid got first choice, in a first paid, first served order. That took a couple months, but still, it worked.

Now, I have enough .22 that my wife and I can go to the range every few weeks, and I'm not in a panic about running out. My stock of about 4 cartons is by no means a hoard.

It used to be my practice that all I kept on hand was a single carton, just enough to go shooting with. I always figured I could always pick up another carton almost anywhere for only $10 or $15, so why stock it. I'll never make that mistake again. But, I'm not going to be one of those @$$'$ that buy up everything they can find, and then sell it online for a profit.

If you are desperate enough, that is an option. I don't know what is available in Ohio, but here in Utah we have a website called utahguns.com, dedicated to sales of guns and related items. Jerks sell ammo there all the time for a big markup. You may see if you can buy a brick there. It may cost you $40 to $50, but at least you can take your daughter shooting.

I get lucky at ***** sporting goods.

I sometimes have to wait in a line.

I get to the store 20- 30 minutes before they open. Wait till the store opens, go in and usually they have the larger amounts 2 times a week.
I call ahead and ask when the ammo shipment is due. If you get a good sales person they will give you all the information you need.

The bad part is they limit you to 1 purchase over 300 round or 3 smaller boxes.

I have gotten lucky and have a few thousand round for shooting.

.22 ammo has gotten really expensive.

Originally Posted By: CHARLIEBRONSON21
I used to buy 1000 round boxes at rural king for like $15 a couple years ago. Nothing that good since.

I used to buy the Federal 550 round bricks at Wally World about 4 years ago for $11.99...now the price listed on the always empty shelf for this stuff is $23.99...which I would pay if it were ever available...this has gone beyond ridiculous!

Originally Posted By: 06AllAmerican

I get to the store 20- 30 minutes before they open. Wait till the store opens, go in and usually they have the larger amounts 2 times a week.
I call ahead and ask when the ammo shipment is due. If you get a good sales person they will give you all the information you need.

Do they sell the Federal 550 round bricks, or any Aquila LRs (no subs)?

Originally Posted By: grampi
Originally Posted By: 06AllAmerican

Do they sell the Federal 550 round bricks, or any Aquila LRs (no subs)?

I think they have 50 round boxes of federal occasionally. Mostly Winchester, Remington ammo. I have some hollow point too. Some times they have the good CCI LR in the 100 round plastic box.

If I have waited in line I try to make the most of my time and buy 2000k ammo can or 1500 round bucket.

I've had luck at ****'s (two 1400 round buckets at $0.05 per round) and my LGS has been pretty regular with 50 round boxes at $0.10 and $0.12 per round. Six months ago we scored 2k of Winchester M22 for $0.05 per round and it wasn't the recalled batches although a friend of mine got some from a gun show that was recalled.

I wish I had bought a pick-up truck load of Federal 550 packs when they were $13....three short years ago! I saw the same ammo recently in Vinton Va for $59.95.

Around here most other ammo is readily available

We have Two Super Wal-Marts in town. Talk with the clerk in sporting goods. Find out what days they normally get ammo in.

Here they put out ammo at around 7 AM. You need to be in line in the sporting goods area around 5:30 or 6:00 AM and when they have 22 LR the limit is 3 boxes. With stuff like Winchester M-22 that gives you a total of 3,000 rounds and a good price point.

You can get everything but .22 here easily at normal prices. .22 is still hard to get and usually non-existent on shelves.

Not sure why .22 has gone insane. Perhaps "baby's first gun, the sky is falling, a .22 will save me" hoarders.

I can get 9mm at Wal-Mart with ease, so all is well for me.

Just get a bigger caliber gun and your ammo worries will be gone.

Originally Posted By: 01rangerxl
You can get everything but .22 here easily at normal prices. .22 is still hard to get and usually non-existent on shelves.

Not sure why .22 has gone insane. Perhaps "baby's first gun, the sky is falling, a .22 will save me" hoarders.

I can get 9mm at Wal-Mart with ease, so all is well for me.

Just get a bigger caliber gun and your ammo worries will be gone.

I don't want to spend money on another gun...I bought .22s because the ammo was always so cheap and readily available...the joke's on me I guess...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back