Reuse filter?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not here too often so if this has been asked before sorry.
I have a Sentra that takes 3 qts oil.
I went to Walmart and got my oil and wanted a Fram Toughgaurd filter but they were out.
So I got a Fram Ultra.I use full Synthetic oil and change it at 7K to 8K miles.
On the box it says the filter good for 15K miles.
Would it be foolish to use it for 2 oil changes?
I know there will be a little dirty oil left at the second change but the filter is very small. Almost scary small.

No its not. I am doing the same thing with 7500 oil changes. It's my first time doing so and will reevaluate at my next oil change. Two oil changes per filter was once the norm and is promoted by some car manufacturers.

Last edited:
I used to reuse filters all the time on an Acura MDX where I was running Amsoil filters rated for 15,000 miles but wasn't running Amsoil. I would not have any worries about doing what you're proposing. Even though there was some oil in the filter, oil was always very clean in appearance after a change of just the oil and leaving the old filter on. In fact, it would be a waste of filter not to go the full 15k with a filter rated to go that long. The fact that it's a really small filter makes your position even stronger because there will be very little oil in there to contaminate the new batch. Speaking of small filters, I now have a 2011 Infiniti EX35 and the filter it uses is the smallest I have ever seen. I wonder if your Sentra takes the same one or at least is the same size? It's hard for me to understand why the 3.5 V6 uses such a tiny filter.

I've been changing my filter every other OCI for years, I do use the OEM filters at 5,000 mile intervals. Let the flaming begin...lol!

Originally Posted By: gman2304
I've been changing my filter every other OCI for years, I do use the OEM filters at 5,000 mile intervals. Let the flaming begin...lol!

Great idea, you save money, time, resources, and the filter becomes more efficient as it gets used up(granted your engine is not all sludged up)

I'm a firm believer of changing the oil filter every oil change. I want to get most of the used motor oil out that I can. Just my opinion. Good luck with which ever you decide to do.

01_Celica:

You are absolutely correct on the increased efficiency of the filter. A new filter is more of a screen than a filter. It takes about 10k miles before they start to become efficient. At 20k miles my Ea15k51 is a very efficient filter. The UOA plus particle count showed 160-320 particles in the >4u range. That is very clean oil.

Dave

If you are already doing the oil change, why not the filter also?

Unless your manufacturer recommends otherwise, and I have seen this to be the case on some manufacturers.

My Accord calls for filter change every other time, and if you go
by the MM, that could be nearly 10K mile OCI!

I looked up the Fram Ultra for my Sentra and it measures 2.63 inches high. It looks like a toy.

Originally Posted By: measureman
I looked up the Fram Ultra for my Sentra and it measures 2.63 inches high. It looks like a toy.

There's probably an up-size alternative. Which filter number does it call out for the Sentra?

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
Originally Posted By: measureman

There's probably an up-size alternative. Which filter number does it call out for the Sentra?

It is an XG6607 and there is room for something bigger.
thanks

Originally Posted By: geeman789
XG 7317 is an inch taller... but same diameter etc...

+1 ... that's the one I use on the 2004 Altima w/V6. The Purolator 14610 is the same size, as well as the NAPA Gold 1356 or Bosch 3323.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back