Jeep P0340 - Cam position sensor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi - how difficult is this sensor to replace. While its warm now, I do not have a lot of time.

Is this a 15 minute or a 4 hour job.

Part choices

1) Airtex
2) standard motor products
3) MOPAR/OEM

Last edited:
Echlin is made by Standard Motor Products,who also make Standard brand and BWD.

just 2 screws and it comes off. is your senser bad? or did the shop that put the rebuild engine in get the opda off a little and thats why it threw a code?

Last edited:
The reman engine now has 50K miles (since the install) on it so I doubt if its related to installing the reman engine.

The engine has died several times, hard to restart. CEL. Never did that until a few days ago. I suspect a failing part.

had a 2003 gc with inline 6. the cam sensor is easy. the crank sensor is hard to reach and needs a swivel head ratchet wrench.

if your engine is dieing while running like if you shut the key off, you might have a worn injector wiring harness. on the I-6 the harness comes around the back of the valve cover and rests on the valve cover stud. on mine after about 50k miles the engine starting turning off while driving down the road. sometimes it would restart immediately, other times it would take 5 minutes for the security anti-theft thing to disable and let you restart. then the engine would die after 5 minutes of running regardless. turns out the valve cover stud wore into the harness, chafed wires and grounded out 2 or 3 fuel injector wires. this confused the computer and caused a computer reset according to dealer, which immediately kills the engine and is also why a DTC was never set. the dealer seemed to know about this because he diagnosed it just after i had it towed there. the fix was to redo and insulate those chaffed wires, then put a piece of rubber hose over the exposed valve cover stud.
if you have a reman engine, too bad. if everything was orignal you should crash it and sue jeep, its a design flaw.

OK, the cam position sensor came today (OEM from a mail order dealer).

It was a five minute install, but when both screws were tight the plastic assembly seemed slightly loose as it could rock slightly. There is not much to installing it and nothing for it to engage.

The car starts and runs fine. The old one did not do that but then again it it could have just been stuck tight from being installed for many years.

Originally Posted By: VNTS
Smart, only use Mopar, trust me on that LOL

I buy all my OEM parts from Steve White Motors via mail order. No tax for me, quick shipping and great prices. They have the VINs stored so I can just tell them which of my 2 Chrysler vehicles its for and I am sure to get the proper part.

I still buy lots of non-OEM stuff, but when I feel it should be OEM, I order it from them.

(And they threw in a red SW baseball cap once).

Drove is for awhile today. The CEL went off after the 3rd or 4th engine start. I could have turned it off, but would have needed to disrupt some work I was doing on my laptop. (I have the Auto Enginuity OBDII).

So I guess the cam pos sensor was it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back