Backwards, Perhaps?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've just been doing some thinking lately, and it seems many people are somewhat confused in their thinking when it comes to the oil they put in their cars. Let's look at a prime example, shall we? I find many people are insanely obsessive over the oil for their brand new car, but the same people use whatever "cheap" oil they can get for their old and/or beater cars. Same thing goes for those dealing with fleets. Their personal car has to have something resembling the son of God's own blood, but the multiple work trucks, vans, and company cars get whatever is cheap and readily available. Now, you have to figure that the beaters, the work trucks/vans, and company cars are more frequently abused and demand more from their own motor oil, and the new/personal autos are going to be pampered and easily driven, until they reach a certain age or mileage. So, I raise the question of "why?". Please lend your view.

People can be otherwise, dumb. API SN is an excellent spec. Just about any old oil will do just fine in any car. Use synthetic for its added service life. I use whatever oil I end up with at the time. Currently I have a stash of the new PP GTL because of the amazing price after fuel rewards. Any brand oil will get your car to 300,000 miles if it would ever get there with any top tier synthetic "better" oil

I use syn in my car because it's really not too expensive and I run it a long time. I run whatever I can get cheap inthe pacifica because it's a POS and burns off everything I put in it, so I fell no reason to continue spending more money on syn when it doesn't do much good for that one.

This is what gets used in the fleet at my work. They try for 5000 mile OCIs, but they usually get pushed to around 7000 before they actually make it in for service.

This is what happens.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back