Penrite 5w-40 semi synthetic

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi

I am currently using Everyday Plus Penrite 5w-40 semi synthetic blend in my 2003 Holden V6 3800 (Buick) petrol engine, see product data sheet below.

http://www.penriteoil.com.au/pis_pdfs/1EVERYDAY PLUS 5W-40 SEPTEMBER 2013.pdf

I have since come across another Penrite 5w-40 HPR Diesel semi synthetic product that states its a dual fuel, the spec's it claims it has appear to make it more robust than the one above, see product data sheet below.

http://www.penriteoil.com.au/pis_pdfs/11HPR Diesel 5 June 2013.pdf

The cost for both products is around $45 AUD for 5 L.

Next OCI I propose to use the Penrite 5w-40 HPR Diesel any comments on this proposal are appreciated.

Last edited:
That oil is on my list of things to try...

A tech I spoke to said that the "synthetic" is GrIII, so he'd personally use the blend over the syn.

Shannow thanks for your response.

These are both semi synthetics one is HPR and the other Everyday Plus (I have double checked not sure why the Diesel is under HPR label)

Would you use the semi synthetic labeled HPR Diesel in the petrol engine as it says it dual fuel.

Last edited:
Certainly would, and the Caprice will probably be on it once I get through my wash with the Shell Helix.

Everyday Plus 5W-40 is a premium quality, semi synthetic, SAE 5W-40 for use in passenger cars, 4WDs & light commercial vehicles and is compatible with Petrol/LPG (Dual Fuel), E10, Diesel (without DPF) and most other other conventional fuels.

Industry Specifications
API SM/CF ACEA A3/B3

Typical Data
Density at 15°C, kg/L 0.855
Viscosity, Kinematic, cSt
at 40°C 85
at 100°C 14.5
Viscosity Index 179
Viscosity, Cold Cranking @ -20°C 4,197
Zinc, mass % 0.114
Sulphated Ash, mass % 1.01
Base Number 8.8
______________________________________________________________________________________

HPR Diesel 5 is a premium high performance semi synthetic SAE 5W-40, non-friction modified engine oil and designed for use in modern 4, 6 & 8+ cylinder multi cam, multi valve (Including VVT), naturally aspirated, supercharged, turbocharged common rail & direct injection diesel engines. It is also suitable for diesel engines that are equipped hydraulically actuated injector units.
HPR Diesel 5 is also suitable for use in petrol and LPG engines as a mixed fleet oil.
HPR Diesel 5 is suitable for motorcycles with wet clutches

Industry Specifications
API CI-4 PLUS/SL
ACEA A3/B4/E7
Global DLD-2/DLD-3
JASO DH-1
JASO MA

Manufacturer Specifications
MB 228.3/229.3 VW 502.00/505.00 Opel B040 2098
Ford M2C153-H / 171-C/913-B / 913-C Peugeot PSA D-02

Typical Data
Density at 15°C, kg/L 0.859
Viscosity, Kinematic, cSt
at 40°C 100
at 100°C 14.7
Viscosity Index 152
Cold Cranking Viscosity, cP at -30°C 5,576
Zinc, Mass % 0.122
Phosphorus, Mass % 0.110
Sulphated Ash, mass % 1.34
Base Number 10.7

These are odd products. Everyrday Plus is a PCMO, with minimal diesel specs. I would not bother with it, there are major brand 10w40s around for less $$ that meet A3/B4.

HPR diesel is CI4+ and E7 rated so it's an HDEO, it also meets motorcycle and PCMO specs. It's unusual to meet, or even claim both light and heavy duty diesel. I'm not sure if that is technically possible or not. If it is, you'd have to wonder why the ACEA even bothered with light duty diesel at all. It almost makes a mockery of the system. It's probably a pretty solid oil for a petrol engine, but I'd rather use HPR5 with a 229.5 approval for a passenger car.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: supercity
These are odd products. Everyrday Plus is a PCMO, with minimal diesel specs. I would not bother with it, there are major brand 10w40s around for less $$ that meet A3/B4.

HPR diesel is CI4+ and E7 rated so it's an HDEO, it also meets motorcycle and PCMO specs. It's unusual to meet, or even claim both light and heavy duty diesel. I'm not sure if that is technically possible or not. If it is, you'd have to wonder why the ACEA even bothered with light duty diesel at all. It almost makes a mockery of the system. It's probably a pretty solid oil for a petrol engine, but I'd rather use HPR5 with a 229.5 approval for a passenger car.

My mechanic prefers a semi-synthetic and the Penrite Diesel 5 is listed under the HPR brand.

The HPR 5 is a full synthetic Group 3 I understand. I might try it in the future.

I had in mind to try the Diesel 5 when I posted the thread as there some members here that run the Delvac 1 5w-40 HDEO in petrol engine vehicles and swear by it. See the spec's below.

Specifications and Approvals
Mobil Delvac 1 meets or exceeds the requirements of: 5W-40
API CI-4 PLUS/CI-4/CH-4/SL/SJ X
ACEA E7/E4 X
Cummins CES 20078/20077/20076/20075 X
Ford WSS-M2C171-D X
Renault Trucks RXD X
Global DHD-1 X
JASO DH-1 X

Mobil Delvac 1 5W-40 has the following builder approvals: 5W-40
Detroit Diesel Power Guard Oil Specification 93K214 X
Mack EO-N Premium Plus 03, EO-M Plus X
MB-Approval 235.28 X
MB-Approval 228.5 X
Scania LDF X
Voith Retarder Oil Class B X
Volvo VDS-3, VDS-2 X

Mobil Delvac 1 5W-40 is recommended by ExxonMobil for use in applications requiring: 5W-40
API CG-4/CF-4/CF X
Caterpillar ECF-1-a X
Cummins CES 20072/20071 X

Typical Properties
Mobil Delvac 1 5W-40
SAE Grade 5W-40
Viscosity, ASTM D 445
cSt @ 40ºC 102
cSt @ 100ºC 14.8
Viscosity Index, ASTM D 2270 151
Sulfated Ash, wt%, ASTM D 874 1.35
Total Base #, mg KOH/g, ASTM D 2896 12
Pour Point, ºC, ASTM D 97 -45
Flash Point, ºC, ASTM D 92 226
Density @ 15ºC kg/l, ASTM D 4052 0.854

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: virginoil
I had in mind to try the Diesel 5 when I posted the thread as there some members here that run the Delvac 1 5w-40 HDEO in petrol engine vehicles and swear by it.

I run the CJ-4 version of it. I even set aside a sample today for UOA if I get the chance.

I'm surprised that the older version is still available in Australia and the States. Imperial Oil got rid of it two or three years ago up here.

One more thing in its favour for dual use fuel is that it is a light duty diesel oil as stated in the extract from the MSDS below.

MATERIAL SAFETY DATA SHEET
SECTION 1 – IDENTIFICATION OF THE MATERIAL AND SUPPLIER
PRODUCT NAME: HPR Diesel 5
PRODUCT CODE: HPRD5
RECOMMENDED USE: Light duty diesel engine oil.
SUPPLIER NAME: PENRITE OIL Company Pty Ltd (ABN: 25005 001 525)

Delvac 1 in Aus is now CJ4 E9. I haven't seen the above offered. There is however a lot of parallel import US market products finding there way here since Mobil pulled out of Australia.

I did a search on Mobils website and found its Mobil Delvac 1 ESP 5W-40 Supreme Performance Heavy Duty Diesel Engine Oil you are talking about.

The product sheet is dated 4-2014 so its just been released.

The typical properties of the Delvac 1 and Penrite Diesel 5 are so close it good enough for me to give it a try.

Originally Posted By: virginoil
The product sheet is dated 4-2014 so its just been released.

Imperial Oil is very slow at getting the latest PCMOs out up here, but they do not waste time with HDEOs, for whatever reason.
wink.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back